What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Disgusting Service!

A

Anonymous

Just had to let you know about the service I received from a main Peugeot Dealer.

My engine warning light came so I called the AA out to get it checked. It turned out to be Error Code P0016 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A. As I have AA Breakdown Insurance, we had the vehicle recovered and taken to the dealer for a check over.

The dealer phoned me back saying that it needed a complete new timing chain costing £700+. I questioned this as I had full timing chain replacement 6 months previous at another garage.

As soon as I told them this, they seemed to go quiet. They seemed to be looking for excuses. They also commented that my car had no oil in it and the sump had run dry. This I know is untrue as I only topped the oil up a week or so before. The first thing that the AA patrolman checked was the oil - it was full. The dealer then said it was the low oil that had lost the pressure making the chain skip a tooth and that they had to put 2 litres in before they could do anything. I asked was it now full and they confirmed. I asked how much oil should be in there and they told me 4 litres? So if they added 2 litres to a car that was totally empty of oil then surely it would have had 2 litres in already?? I know that car had oil in it - I checked it - the AA checked it and the warning light that comes on when you start the car checked it.

I informed the AA that I thought something funny was going on, so they tried calling the dealer. They were being vague about my car. I phoned the dealer 4 times to find out what was happening and they said they would check and call me back - but they never did. The last comment I got was that they recommended that I get a new timing chain, the warning light was off and that it was waiting for a clean. I asked what had been done and was it safe? They just told me I had to pay £167 for diagnosis, oil etc. I queried this again about the oil and asked them what they had actually diagnosed as it had gone from a complete timing chain to putting some oil in??

I had to get the car back so I grudgingly paid the bill. They stated that they had removed cam cover and re-aligned the timing?? They also said that they had tried several times to contact the AA but without success. They then put the car back together. They didn't think to call me and tell me that the chain needed replacing and give me the option to get it done. Nowhere on the receipt does it advise to get a new timing chain, or that it was offered to me and I had declined.

Drove away and everything seemed fine. Driving home this morning and the warning light had come on again! The AA had advised me that if it did, then to call them out again. When the patrolman got there it was the same error code. He looked at the receipt for the work done and looked at the engine. He said that the engine hadn't been touched. There was dust on the engine with no signs of disturbance - not a fingerprint or smear - the bolts were still dusty and shown no signs of being loosened. The patrolman has experience of timing chains and has put in his report that there are no signs of the Cam Cover, or any part of the engine being removed.

It looks to me that they had just cleared the fault code - charged me for oil I didn't need and let me drive off. I'm still no further forward in knowing what is causing the error? Faulty sensor??

I just feel that they were trying to rip me off. I had some work done there previously - they had done the diagnostics and identified a problem and had sorted it, but by the time I had arranged to collect it, they had informed me that they had now found something else wrong that was going to be another £300! I only go to them as I have my service plan with them, but now this is the final straw!

So the car is back with them now. I went in to complain to the manager, as the service department wasn't open on a Sunday. He couldn't have cared less! I told him the story and he was smirking about it!

I'll have to wait till the morning to see what the service manager says. I got the AA man to mark the report form that the oil was still full - just in case they charge me for it again.

Has anyone else had experiences like this - or am I reading too much into it?

Apologies for the long windedness of it - just really angry and disappointed in Peugeot!

hanswuk

Reaction score
If I were you I'd complain to Peugeot UK by phone and if necessary in writing. Dealer's actions are not directly Peugeot UK's fault (unless they're Robins and Day who are owned by Peugeot) but they can affect the brand's reputation for good or bad and therefore they have a vested interest in mediating. In the past I and others have found Peugeot UK can be quite helpful. Taking what you say at face value it sounds like your dealer's attitude is appalling.

A

Anonymous

Hi - I called them several times and finally got through to a Customer Services Manager who wasn't the slightest bit interested. He kept asking if I purchased it through the dealer, which I hadn't.

He kept saying that he has to rely on the word of the service team at the dealership.

He was no use at all.

2retro

Reaction score
Tell them you're getting Trading Standards and/or Watchdog involved and they'll soon change their tune. :cool:

A

Anonymous

Tried that also - manager just smirked!

The service manager had a real smug look on his face when I had to go pay to pick the car up, knowing at how much I had argued and questioned the work carried out. He knew he got £167 out of me for nothing.

tianorth

Reaction score
I would give Peugeot UK HQ a call and let them know about this. Give them all the information and request that something be done. Also ask for another dealership that will look at your car and tell you what the error message is about.
Find out if Peugeot will take over the service plan so you can change dealership.
Hope you get it sorted.

A

Anonymous

I tried Peugeot UK... took me 4 phone calls and a 5 hour wait for me to actually get hold of a Customer Services Manager. He wasn't interested as it was a franchise dealer.

I asked if he was not concerned about a Peugeot dealership offering such a dubious service, but he did't seem to care. He said he had yo go by what the service team was telling him. I asked him to question it but he wouldn't. We went round and round in circles for about 20 minutes then nothing.

I have sent the details to Watchdog and to our local BBC Consumer Show on the radio. Just don't know what to do for the best?

2retro

Reaction score
What is the name and address of the dealer in question - at the very least it might give other potential customers prior warning before using them.

2retro

Reaction score
Dean6 said:
Sorry - Norton Way Peugeot in Letchworth

This place?

I can't believe Peugeot UK have dismissed your grievance with one of their dealers so quickly. Maybe you spoke to the wrong person on the phone because poor performance of their dealers are a direct reflection of the Peugeot brand as a whole so they should be very interested in what you have to say when it comes to lying about work carried out and charging for it like a dodgy back street mechanic, etc...

Give it another shot I say and be assertive - calmly and clearly explain what has happened and why you are dissatisfied, get the name of person you are speaking to and demand to know how they plan to make this right for you and how long this will take. Record the call if you can because they will be doing so too.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Attachments

• norton_way.jpg
    norton_way.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 3,557
A

Anonymous

Yes that is the place.

I will try them again then and hopefully get a different person, but it was almost impossible to get hold of someone.

As they are just a franchise, they don't seem to be that bothered - even though the dealer is representing them.

A

Anonymous

Just spoke to Edward at Peugeot UK. He was not interested one little bit.

I informed him of the AA report that the engine hadn't been touched. He says that he believes what his technicians are telling him and he could not rely on what the AA had said. He said "Why would the mechanics lie"? - to make money! If I hadn't had my wits about me they would have charged me over £1000 for a timing chain and diagnosis that I didn't need.

I asked him how they could diagnose the car without touching the engine - he said he didn't believe it. I asked why on the diagnostic report it was not mentioned that a new timing chain was needed? He says it was done verbally so they didn't need to put it on the diagnostic report!

I am so angry with this - honestly you wouldn't believe how un-interested Peugeot UK are!

Reaction score
What outcome are you looking for
?

Always good to have a clear idea of the outcome you want.

A

Anonymous

To be honest - I just want my car fixed - or at least an accurate diagnosis of what is wrong.

I just feel like I've paid £170 for nothing to show for it.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, it's sad but your experience is all too common in the Motor trade and dealerships wonder why no one trusts em! It's a nightmare trying to find an honest mechanic that knows what he's on about. Are modern cars so complicated that the modern mechanic can only rely on what diagnostic equipment tell's em what part to change? How many times on this forum have we heard about miss diagnosis through Peugeot dealerships parts being changed endlessly until the" technician " stumbles on the right faulty part! :eusa-think:
Luckily I have a top Peugot dealership on my doorstep (Peter Ambrose in Castleford) it really is a lottery though so good luck! it may be worth a drive further afield to find an honest dealer maybe we should have a list of owner approved dealerships voted by us the owners. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

That is a good idea getting a list of the Peugeot dealers that members use for servicing, along with their good and bad points.

I can't believe how I have been spoken to today - Peugeot customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. I have been accused of twisting words - threatening behaviour as I said I was going to Trading Standards - was told "If you want to go down that route then we will..". I was asked if a back street garage fitted the timing chain!

Customer service is disgusting!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
To be fair to Peugeot, this isn't a modern thing, nor is it restricted to Peugeot.

Many years ago when the Audi 80 came out, I had one just out of warranty, which refused to shut off the auto choke. I could drive for more than an hour, yet when I parked up, the choke was still full on. Petrol consumption was terrible.
I had it back to my local Audi/VW dealership 4 seperate times, each time they replaced something else which was "almost certInly" the cause. The problem was that after 4 visits and several hundred pounds later, it was still exactly the same. Then in a chance conversation with a guy down the road who also owned one, he said he had experienced the same problem, and it turned out to simply be an air lock in the coolant system. He fixed it for me in less than 20 minutes.

So main dealers across brands all seem to suffer from the same problem, lack of knowledge about their own product, and no real interest in improving things, as it increases their profits while they "investigate" the problem.

Having dealt with Renault prior to owning my Z I did find dealing with Renault UK was a much more pleasant experience than dealing with Peugeot UK, but sadly their dealerships were just as bad.

A

Anonymous

tianorth said:
Dean6 said:
I was asked if a back street garage fitted the timing chain!

You should have said yes it was a Peugeot main dealership!

It actually was in a way.... An AA approved garage fitted the chain then it was sent over to another Peugeot dealer for the set up and updates (I think thats what he said...)