What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

differences between 156 and 200 bhp engines

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have my mind set on a 200 bhp ptrol version.
Today I went to look at one for sale, fully loaded with every possible option, but it turned out to be a remapped 156

Now I am not really afraid of such changes (did the same on my current family car) but I would like to know if there are any real technical differences between the two engines

If not mistaken there is another turbo and intercooler, but is anything else different (like materials used, type of bolts,....)

Thanks in advance

Frank.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, so in short almost no difference at all.
I have driven a 156 already and it was a bit gutless (maybe because my current car is a 230 bhp Volvo V40 D4....) so the 200 version or a remapped 156 are my choices.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Bear in mind that the 200 was the fastest 1.6 production car until the R was launched.

I have the 200GT. Handling wise, it's like it's on rails, (I think the extra lower brace bar makes quite a difference, coupled with the bigger wheels) and having driven 2 156's I can tell the difference significantly.
As far as power goes, I actually can't imagine how fast the R must be (never been in one) because the 200 is awesome. My brother had a Merc GLA 45 AMG and although on paper (0-60 4.2) it was much faster than my 200, having driven both more than once, I can honestly say my Z felt just as fast as his.

You might want to think about the differences between the GT and the sport as well. (From what you have said about previous cars, I think the 200GT is probably a better choice for you).

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
anixie said:
Thanks, so in short almost no difference at all.

i wouldn't say that
bigger turbo and intercooler, shorter gearing and bigger brakes make quite a difference in performance
stiffer suspension, a smaller steering wheel and the 19" wheels complete the package for a tottal different feeling

i have the thp 156 with lot's of upgreades (bigger turbo and i/c, the thp200 steering wheel, remaped etc.) and in my head there is always something missing (and that's the gearing for now)
the brakes and the suspension are pretty good and i don't think that need an upgreade

so, if you want something very nice and very good take the 156
if you ask for performance then the 200 is the only way

drdino

Reaction score
Don't forget the dual variable valve timing + lift. Big difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all. So yes I will only go for a genuine 200 hp, sounds like quite a lot is different after all. An RCZ-R doesn't fit my budget (well it does, but not according to my wife :) )

drdino

Reaction score
Get one anyway and say it's a 200 with an R bodykit :D

Sorted!

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
drdino said:
Don't forget the dual variable valve timing + lift. Big difference.

I don't but i didn't know how to say it in english... :oops: :oops:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
anixie said:
Thanks all. So yes I will only go for a genuine 200 hp, sounds like quite a lot is different after all. An RCZ-R doesn't fit my budget (well it does, but not according to my wife :) )

Been there, got the T Shirt :brickwall:

A

Anonymous

additional question. Should I be scared of a perfectly maintained 50.000 mile 200 bph car ?
Absolutely loaded to the gills with options, imcluding carbon roof. asking price 15.4K Euro...

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Depends on the age, it does sound a little expensive for the mileage. I too have seen the odd R for round that price. :eusa-think: