What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Diesel RPM

hubcaps

Reaction score
Hi chaps. I haven't got an rcz yet, but could you blokes in the know answer a question? What RPM is the diesel spinning at 90 in 6th? I test drove a 200 petrol the other day and found myself reaching for 7th! I do a lot of miles so I want a fairly relaxed drive. The petrol was superb to drive but only if you are in the mood I reckon!

A

Anonymous

hubcaps said:
Hi chaps. I haven't got an rcz yet, but could you blokes in the know answer a question? What RPM is the diesel spinning at 90 in 6th? I test drove a 200 petrol the other day and found myself reaching for 7th! I do a lot of miles so I want a fairly relaxed drive. The petrol was superb to drive but only if you are in the mood I reckon!

I thought the exact same thing when I drove the petrol. But I just thought it was because I'm used to my diesel insignia.
The sales guy did say the diesel was better geared for motorway cruising but he was trying to get my order ;)

From what I've read on here, those that have the diesels love them. I just can't wait till mine comes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

hubcaps

Reaction score
Agree! I'm used to a Mazda 6 diesel sport that turns over at 2500 at 95!! I just don't know what to go for......diesel or petrol......petrol or diesel........doh.

A

Anonymous

hubcaps said:
Agree! I'm used to a Mazda 6 diesel sport that turns over at 2500 at 95!! I just don't know what to go for......diesel or petrol......petrol or diesel........doh.
Hi and welcome. What sort of mileage do you do and on what sort of roads as that will be a factor.

hubcaps

Reaction score
A lot of motorways to be honest, but also fast A roads when I can. There are lots and lots of horror stories about DPFs on the Mazda 6 forum, but I've never had a problem. If I've done a fair few short trips I always take it for a bit of a blast to clear it out. 91,000 miles and all is well. Are the pugs DPFs ok?

A

Anonymous

l didnt know diesels had rev counters.............lol same old same old,and diesel drivers :thumbup: it takes time to get used to a revy petrol engined car with better handling and more accurate steering.

Insignia :eusa-think: my friend has one of these very rare 193 bhp diesel engined cars with polished huge 20" alloys, Brembo drilled brakes,vxr dashboard the lot actually probably the finest diesel engined car VX make to date,took me out for a test drive it was so uninspiring even in the passenger seat,great on lazy straight roads :thumbup: but as a drivers tool sorry no deal and it intially retailed at ..........£36,000.......... :lol:

hubcaps

Reaction score
Yes, I know where you're coming from. It's been a long time since I had a petrol car. Volvo 850 GLT if my memory serves me correctly. I'm sure I'd get used to one again.

A

Anonymous

Well I do 300 miles a week commuting on motorway, dual carriage way and town in the east end of London, have had my 200GT for a year now and loved every minute. Get 45mpg regularly and never needed a 7th gear (she has been pushed) ;)

hubcaps

Reaction score
Chuzzbutt said:
Well I do 300 miles a week commuting on motorway, dual carriage way and town in the east end of London, have had my 200GT for a year now and loved every minute. Get 45mpg regularly and never needed a 7th gear (she has been pushed) ;)
I think you've made up my mind! 200 petrol it is! Thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

hubcaps said:
Chuzzbutt said:
I think you've made up my mind! 200 petrol it is! Thanks guys.
You won't regret it :grin: it has an addictive acceleration so hope you can be restrained ;)

A

Anonymous

Don't be too hasty at discounting the HDi. It's a fantastic power pack and has suffered less from problems reported on here then is petrol counterpart.

It has bags of torque and loads of power to accelerate and enjoy. Two HDi's that show Fuelly figures on here are both returning an average of just under 51 MPG :thumbup: I believe the road fund licence is cheaper too. I believe mine was £125 for the year. This engine is quite capable of 60 MPG driven frugally on a decent motorway journey. The only problem with that is it's too boring.

In answer to your original question..... I have just tested it to see on the disused runway on my way home. 85 MPH was showing 2.5000 RPM and 90 MPH was just a shade over this. I doubt that you could reach 3000 RPM in 6th gear.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Don't be too hasty at discounting the HDi. It's a fantastic power pack and has suffered less from problems reported on here then is petrol counterpart.

It has bags of torque and loads of power to accelerate and enjoy. Two HDi's that show Fuelly figures on here are both returning an average of just under 51 MPG :thumbup: I believe the road fund licence is cheaper too. I believe mine was £125 for the year. This engine is quite capable of 60 MPG driven frugally on a decent motorway journey. The only problem with that is it's too boring.

In answer to your original question..... I have just tested it to see on the disused runway on my way home. 85 MPH was showing 2.5000 RPM and 90 MPH was just a shade over this. I doubt that you could reach 3000 RPM in 6th gear.

Having driven the Diesel recently and owning a petrol (albeit the 156), if I had the choice when buying (and the extra £), I would go for the diesel.

I haven't managed to try the rpm test like Ron has I'm afraid, not many disused air strips near me :lol: !!

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:

"l have tested it on a disused runway on my way home"................ :lol: :lol:

renegade79

Reaction score
OO58RON said:

Ron, You speed king you!! :D

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Ron, where is the disused runway? Could be a good place for a Meet ;)

It's where The Hamster had his accident. Elvington Arifield

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
So can you just drive onto it, no questions asked?

Stop asking awkward questions :law-policered: No. I wouldn't have thought so. I got permission as I was working for a company next door to it and managed to ask. :eusa-shhh: I have seen people using a circuit there and heard the squealing tyres :roll: