What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Detailing

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have seen a few people referring to 'detailing' on here. Can someone explain what this is?

FGRob

Reaction score
Where to start - detailing it's depends what you want to do, I've done it for a while on my 2 and won a couple of shows, it's all about cleaning and getting back to even better than factory look / finish, not just the outside either, to give you some if idea this is the standard I've gone to on my other car:

As I said - it's not just the outside :lol: ;)

And this is what it looks like after a good waxing:

It takes a lot to get the paint work right, especially in solid black - thank god for the Meguairs Orbital Polisher, plus all the brushes to get into all the dust traps etc.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Here's an example from another forum with some great before and after pics. Only some of the stages are pictured but you get the idea;

This car wasn't very old, but desperately needed some TLC, and the owner wanted rid of the heavy swirl and buffer trails that where present on most of the car.

A garage for the day today, and glad I had it too ! the weather was terrible.

No initial inspection shots, as I cleaned it in the rain, so just got on with it.

Wheels after cleaning with AS Smart wheels, Vikan and soft brushes, and when the rain then stopped ^o) -

Then onto a good foam, Auto Rae chem snowfoam with added de-greaser. Then washed with Megs Shampoo Plus -

Clayed while wet with CYC yellow -

Depth checks had proved a good original paint all round, with no low spots.
On to a lit inspection, which proved a good amount of work ahead -

Megs pads used ( Cutting and polishing) on the metabo rotary. After a bit of trial, I settled on an initial cut with a 1:2 mix of 3M FCP and Menz IP on a cutting pad. Then refined and finished with a second run of Menz FF on a polishing pad. This proved a good mix, and set at the defects well.

An initial 50/50, with a few deeper defects visible -

And the next set - you can just make out the difference :D -

During and after working -

I was making good progress, and didn't need to worry about beating the light with the garage available. So I really overworked the bonnet, and aimed to get a stunningly deep finish.
Here's the third run with a mix containing IP ready to be buffed, you can see when IP is ready by the greasy fog that comes up -

On a fourth run with a mix containing FF, you can see the different more metalic looking film that comes when FF is almost finished working -

I'm glad I went to the best I could ever do, ever, on the bonnet. I really liked the deep crystal clarity that resulted.
And, I think I got my favourite ever reflection shot....................

And some afters, just before the light went, finished with Carlack and Swiss
Best Of Show -

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
BEWARE :!:

It becomes an obsession :lol:

Agreed. There is now no such thing as "I'm just going to give the car a quick once over". 4 hours laters, you're still there.

FGRob

Reaction score
tonyrcz said:
RCZ1 said:

4 hours laters, you're still there.
Hey Tony

4 Hours - your are only playing at it, :lol: :lol: ;)

The last event I did it took me 2 days to complete the full detailing on the 2. :eek: :eek: It's sad I know but you can't beat the satisfaction of hearing the comments afterwards and you do have the benefit of once it's clean it's easy to clean the next time. :cool:

Rob

RCZ1

Reaction score
FGRob said:
tonyrcz said:
RCZ1 said:

4 hours laters, you're still there.
Hey Tony

4 Hours - your are only playing at it, :lol: :lol: ;)

The last event I did it took me 2 days to complete the full detailing on the 2. :eek: :eek: It's sad I know but you can't beat the satisfaction of hearing the comments afterwards and you do have the benefit of once it's clean it's easy to clean the next time. :cool:

Rob

I quite agree Rob. Your 2 does look great and the lengths you go to are phenemonal. But its well worth all your efforts :D

G81

Reaction score
FGRob said:

Rob

I agree Rob :beer:

Probably the best compliment I had was a nice looking honey walking past my car and checked out her hair in the reflection of my freshly detailed car.

It's all gone a bit downhill this year though. Time to get the clay bars, polishes, wax, and cloths out again me thinks.

G

A

Anonymous

Hi, just booked a guy to carry out new car preparation before i take delivery of my RCZ. He says he will spend at least 8 hours or more perfecting the paintwork and use much higher grade products than if I had the dealership to prepare the car. He is a fully licensed professional detailer. He will prepare the entire car including the alloy wheels, interior and engine bay. Paintwork will undergo a multi-stage decontamination process and will receive a single stage machine to remove any light swirl marks or imperfections that may be caused by the PDI process ensuring the paintwork is perfect before applying several layers of protection. I think he uses swissvax and lanolex. He has quoted me £275 for this - is this good value??

Thanks

Dean

A

Anonymous

I would say that's about the going rate for a days detailing. Ask him to take some pics of the various stages and post them on here. It will help other members understand what they are getting for their money plus wont do his business any harm too.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Here's an example of detailing. This is what I've spent the last day 2 days detailing - my hubby's Disco 4

Here are some before photos – not looking too bad.

Friday 9am - first I started with the wheels using:
1. Power-washed the wheels and arches to loosen the dirt / brake dust
Using the 2 bucket method (different buckets for washing the bodywork)and Chemical Guys CW&G, I used various brushes to clean the spokes, back of the wheels, gaps in the alloys, tyres and the arches. Each wheel was power washed down after this process.

2. Next, it was on to snow foaming:
Used Valet Pro pH neutral snowfoam and a drop of Dodo BTBM, autobrite foamlance and PW
This was left to dwell for 5 minutes. In the meantime I used a small detailing brush to clean around the badges, the grills, door surrounds, petrol cap, etc, etc. This was then fully rinsed off. It had done its job of getting rid of the dead flies, etc.

3. Washing
Using the 2 BM and my new shampoo Chemical Guys Extreme Wash and Gloss, Sheepskin mitt for the main paintwork and a microfibre mitt for the lower black plastic bits. I set to work washing the car. However, it was sunny and quite warm yesterday and as there is no shade in my drive I found that it was drying very quickly and on black – it’s a nightmare. So I decided I would wash, rinse (with an open hose) and dry a panel at a time. So I started with the roof, then the bonnet and then around the car. It takes longer but it’s beneficial in the end. No water marks or streaking. There was a lot of standing water on the car though due to it having no protection so used two drying towels to dry the whole car. Wheels were also dried off.

4. Claying
The paintwork felt quite smooth – being a new car but I did a quick clay of the car, which showed up very little contamination (sorry no pics).

5. Polish
So on to the polishing. As the car was new and the paintwork was in pretty good condition – no swirls visible, etc I decided to use Dodo Lime Prime to prepare the paintwork. Applied with a megs pad and buffed with a micro fibre cloth.

Strange, my hubby wasn’t too keen for me to use my new DAS 6 on his new car so all work had to be done by hand ! :buffer:

At this point, the heavens decided to open so had to call a halt to play as I don’t have a covered area to work in. Decided to have a break for lunch then as the rain had stopped, gave it a quick rinse down and dry ready for the next step.

6. Glaze
Next, it was on to my new purchase after all the good things I’d read about it on DW. Cracked open the Chemical Guys EZ Glaze. God this stuff smells fantastic and all the bugs were very attracted to it too! Applied with a megs pads and then buffed with a clean micro fibre cloth. The shine after this was phenemonal. Again it started raining so moved the car under the car port.

Some pics of how it looked at this stage:

7. Protect the wheels and arches.
Whilst the car was under the car port and it was still raining, it gave me chance to start sealing the alloys. This was done using a megs pad and CG Jetseal 109. This was applied and left for 20 minutes to cure before being buffed off. Two coats were applied. The arches were dressed with CG Bare Bones. Tyres were dressed with Swissvax Pneu.

The rain had set in for the day so I decided that would be it – finished 3.30pm.

Started the day today at 10.00am. Had to rinse the car again with an open hose and dry the whole car again before started work on the next phase. Had about 5 or 6 downpours in between waxing so it was very stop start but got there in the end.

8. Waxing
The wax for today would be the sample pot of Dodo Purpe Haze Pro that I had bought specially for hubby’s new car as I’d read good things about it on black cars. This was applied with my bare hands to the whole car. Again, it was sunny and warm this morning, so I decided I would apply it a panel at a time and then buff off, once I’d finish waxing the next panel and so on. It buffed off easily enough.

9. Extras
Gave the interior a quick clean over. As its only 3 weeks old, it was still very tidy. The carpets and mats were given a brush over and the dash was given the once over with 303 Aerospace Protectant.
Degreaser was used to get rid of white marks and finger marks off the exterior black trim.

Attention to detail:

Windows were cleaned with Megs Glass Cleaner and then Halford Rain Repellent was applied to all the windows.

A pic of how difficult it is to clean the windscreen:

Overall, I’m really pleased with it. Black is a very difficult colour to work on but the end results are very gratifying. The glossy finish is amazing, the flake pop superby and the reflections, well ...............................

Here’s some afters - Thanks for reading.

A

Anonymous

You're amazing girl! where did you learn all of this?

I've always been very very fussy bout cleaning my cars but I've never heard of snow thingy and clay bits, I've always used the normal car wash and Autogleam stuff (how embarrassing). My fav hobby is cleaning the house which is second to cleaning my car (even more embarrassing).

When you get a min can you tell me what I should buy to clean my new RCZ (getting her tomorrow :p ) including, wash, snow thingy, wax etc plus...where do I get it from). Plus, what about a good leather cleaner and dash cleaner.... gosh I've gone all moist and dizzy :wave:

Greg

RCZ1

Reaction score
IRONMAN said:
You're amazing girl! where did you learn all of this?

I've always been very very fussy bout cleaning my cars but I've never heard of snow thingy and clay bits, I've always used the normal car wash and Autogleam stuff (how embarrassing). My fav hobby is cleaning the house which is second to cleaning my car (even more embarrassing).

When you get a min can you tell me what I should buy to clean my new RCZ (getting her tomorrow :p ) including, wash, snow thingy, wax etc plus...where do I get it from). Plus, what about a good leather cleaner and dash cleaner.... gosh I've gone all moist and dizzy :wave:

Greg

Hi Ironman

I tell my husband all the time what an amazing woman I am! - he just laughs :lol:

Maybe we could do a swap, I will clean your car, if you clean my house (I absolutely hate housework - but at least the husband helps me with that!).

Right with regards to detailing your car. I tend to shop at http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk They always provide great service and stock almost everything that you need.

For washing / snowfoam / Shampoos / Drying cloths - everything you need here
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... cat_1.html
My personal favourites are Dodo and Chemical Guy shampoos
You'll also need a sheepskin washmit (kind to your paintwork) and two buckets ! and very good quality drying cloths (not chamois leathers)

Clays - removes all environmental contaminants / tar/ etc
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/cat_9.html
I've used Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay kit and Sonus and Sonus Ultra Find clay bars
The Megs clay kit comes with a lube (detailing lube spray) but you can just use water if you wish - but you need plenty of water so as not to scratch your car.

Waxing:
After claying, your paintwork will be left looking like a mirror with no contaminants on it whatsoever. Your paintwork is now left ready for polishing - Autoglym Super Resin Polish is quite popular as it contains fillers so can fill swirls, scratches but others are available. Then if you are going to wax a pre wax cleanser might also be a good idea (or you could go straight to this instead of using SRP. Countless waxes to choose from, ranging in prices. I've very fond of Dodo waxes and you can buy sample pots to try them out before you buy a big pot if you prefer. They do waxes for different coloured cars but you can use any wax on any paint colour. Sample pots can last for doing your car 10-12 cars. I also like Victoria ConcoursWhat you must remember when applying waxes is to put it on very, very thinly. It makes it much easier to buff off later and you can apply a second layer (or more if you prefer) for even coverage.

Polish
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing ... at_16.html

Wax
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/cat_4.html
Samples
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/cat_75.html

Leather / interior
The Gliptone leather cleaners and conditioners are the best and the Aerospace Protectant 303 can be used on your interior and also your engine bay to keep it looking good.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interior/cat_10.html

I hope this goes someway to helping. If you need anymore advice please just ask. Of course I'm not saying these are the best products. Just products that I have used for the last 3 years and found them to be very good.

You do also realise that you will never have any money - it does become an obsession ! Thinking of treating myself to a new wax for the RCZ !

G81

Reaction score
Great post RCZ1. I have to agree with the dodo products, especially the waxes. As for the clays, ive tried a few and prefer the sonus range.

RCZ1

Reaction score
G81 said:
Great post RCZ1. I have to agree with the dodo products, especially the waxes. As for the clays, ive tried a few and prefer the sonus range.

Thanks mate :beer:

I love the Dodo products. They all smell great - good enough to eat, as do the majority of Chemical Guys stuff. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZ1
Blimey I've gone all moist at the prospect. ;)

Very much appreciate the info and will have a look on line, I assume these guys selling the stuff can also advise on how to use it? :eusa-think:

Failing that, I think you live just up the road from me...Yorkshire isn't it, I'm in Kent...sounds like an exscuse to drive!

Ciao :greetings-wavingblue:

RCZ1

Reaction score
IRONMAN said:
Hi RCZ1
Blimey I've gone all moist at the prospect. ;)

Very much appreciate the info and will have a look on line, I assume these guys selling the stuff can also advise on how to use it? :eusa-think:

Failing that, I think you live just up the road from me...Yorkshire isn't it, I'm in Kent...sounds like an exscuse to drive!

Ciao :greetings-wavingblue:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yeah, Yorkshire's just down the road from Kent :eusa-think:

Yeah, Tim at Clean Your Car is very helpful. There is a number on their website so you can give him a ring and he'll sort you out. Or you could look at www.detailingworld.co.uk. There's loads of info and advice on there on how to use all the different products.

Good luck :!:

A

Anonymous

strewth .. i never had a clue there was this much too it , , ,soo glad i found your post :thumbup: going to get me over to that site you recommend and cheers . . . :beer: or would it be easier to marry you . :lol: your hubbys a lucky man