What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Decision almost made...

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone.

I will be changing my car in the next 3 months and for about the last 6 months have been looking around for a stylish but sensible replacement for my Mini Cooper S. I have narrowed in down to 3 cars - The Audi TT, VW Scirocco and the RCZ. I have owned 2 TTs in the past (old shape) but never even considered the Scirocco until recently.

I was aware of the RCZ and liked it very much but when I mentioned it to people they scoffed at the badge. A few weeks before Christmas I popped into my local dealership and was blown away by the interior (first time I'd actually looked inside the RCZ). To cut a long story short I had a test drive this morning and loved it. Now I have to make a decision and I feel pretty sure it will have to be the RCZ, Audi is built great but the interior is not as nice (IMO) and the Scirocco does not turn heads like the RCZ seemed to.

I do have a few questions though.
The car I drove today was a diesel which was very impressive but I'm a petrol fan and was going to go for the big petrol engine. I don't do a lot of miles a year (12,000ish) so fuel economy is not a massive concern so is choosing petrol over diesel a good idea?
Also the test car had sat nav. Is it worth having this installed? One of the big attractions of the RCZ is its affordability and the standard car has all the elements I would have to choose as extras from other manufacturers (19 inch alloys, leather etc) so I wanted to avoid adding anything to it. Does anyone have a car without sat nav and wished they'd ordered it or vice versa.

Not to much to worry about really but thought I'd seek advice to help me in the decision making process.
Hope to be driving around in a new RCZ by springtime and thanks for any help you can give. BTW I am based in the UK if that matters
Cheers
Rippers

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Well, I don't know if this will help you, but I've got a 200bhp gt with sat-nav.

Firstly the sat-nav: remember, it's also a phone and juke box, too. It also plays CDs, mp3 discs and DVDs.

The phone side is reasonable, pairing with phones via Bluetooth. I usevan iPhone and it connect every time without fuss.

There is a USB port and an SD slot for external memory, storage or mp3 players. iPod connectivity isn't very good, and I use a portable hard drive with mp3 files instead.

The system is also voice controlled, if you can be bothered to set it up.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra for you. I don't regret choosing it and I also have the JBL sound system.

Regarding engines, I would say that I do the same kind of mileage you do and it was no contest for me. I didn't even consider the diesel. Most people I've spoken to that have the same engine are pretty pleased with their choice. Be aware that all the engines are turbo 1.6 litre, just in different states of tune. There are also re-maps available and at least one forum member is getting close to 250bhp. I've also had a re-map and, although it has improved the mid-range response, it doesn't appear to have affected the fuel economy. I've done about 7750 miles now since June. Fuel economy is still steadily improving.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Well, I don't know if this will help you, but I've got a 200bhp gt with sat-nav.

Firstly the sat-nav: remember, it's also a phone and juke box, too. It also plays CDs, mp3 discs and DVDs.

The phone side is reasonable, pairing with phones via Bluetooth. I usevan iPhone and it connect every time without fuss.

There is a USB port and an SD slot for external memory, storage or mp3 players. iPod connectivity isn't very good, and I use a portable hard drive with mp3 files instead.

The system is also voice controlled, if you can be bothered to set it up.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra for you. I don't regret choosing it and I also have the JBL sound system.

Regarding engines, I would say that I do the same kind of mileage you do and it was no contest for me. I didn't even consider the diesel. Most people I've spoken to that have the same engine are pretty pleased with their choice. Be aware that all the engines are turbo 1.6 litre, just in different states of tune. There are also re-maps available and at least one forum member is getting close to 250bhp. I've also had a re-map and, although it has improved the mid-range response, it doesn't appear to have affected the fuel economy. I've done about 7750 miles now since June. Fuel economy is still steadily improving.

A cheeky remap pete good on ya :thumbup: as for the satnav its really eye candy but expensive eye candy at £1500 it does enhance the dash as all factory fitted satnavs do :cool: but justify that amount money i couldnt.

if you have the money check out the rcz asphalt there should be few demos for sale soon at around £24k with mileage under 6k it has the lot and even better leather seats jbl/satnav special paint alloy upgrade.........fully loaded these are £30k+ new and are the rarist of the rcz range :cool:

as for engines do the petrol 200 bhp the rcz is a heavy car and 156 bhp variant does suffer a little because of this

RCZ1

Reaction score
Welcome Rippers :greetings-wavingblue:

It seems that the three cars on your shortlist are inevitable but each offers something slightly different. Of course most of us on here are going to say go for the RCZ - which I certainly would. The RCZ offers a feel good factor that the others would struggle to even come close to. The same goes for exclusivity. Not that many around on the roads so still gets a lot of attention and looks stunning to boot. Once people get over the badge snobbery they will see that the RCZ is a gorgeous car, inside and out.

I own the 156 petrol engine, which is the less powerful of the 2 petrol engines but there is more than enough power for me, but the 200 may suit you better if it meets your requirements. Both petrol engines are impressively economical. I get 44 mpg generally. With regards to Sat Nav, I don't have it and I don't miss it because I don't need it. Yes it does make the interior look more impressive but for the money, I don't think it's worth it. There's lots of threads on here about the different issues people have had with it, which again for the money I personally would expect more.

Ultimately its one for you to decide on but I would wholeheartedly recommend the RCZ to you. It's very good value for money with such exotic looks, that IMO, cannot be beaten.

Keep us updated on what you decide :dance:

A

Anonymous

Can't help but get that feeling that if you buy either two out of the three you list, you're going to be uttering the words:

"Wish I'd gone for the Audi".

Choice is yours and you have picked a good three to be in your dilemma bag.

Enjoy whichever you choose and, as above, keep us updated :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Why are you waiting just go get the RCZ GT TDI with all the gear now & enjoy every min of it.

Allen

A

Anonymous

allen said:
Why are you waiting just go get the RCZ GT TDI with all the gear now & enjoy every min of it.

Allen
Good advice. Whilst ordering specify all the necessary extras :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your comments, it has been a help to get feedback from RCZ owners.

All the test drives have now been done and it looks like I will be going for the RCZ after all. The TT was great but similar to what I had owned before and the VW, whilst a really good car, lacked the theatre or sense of occasion I felt driving the RCZ.
As for spec I think I will leave the sat nav as it is an expensive option and one of the beauties of the RCZ is that the price is very reasonable for such a car and I love it "as it comes" without the need to add extras or options.

That said the car I fancy ordering is:
White 200bhp Petrol
Grey leather
The stardard 19inch wheels (did wonder about some black ones but not sure)
... and that's it, simple.

Is there anything else I should consider? (I was going for a black one but have since the white and love it!)

Going to visit the dealer next weekend and if all goes to plan hope to have some pictures of it here in a few months.

Rippers

RCZ1

Reaction score
Sounds like a good choice there. Some people do like the black alloys on white cars but personally I'm not keen (although I do have to say that the Solstice onyx do look very nice). I much prefer the standard alloys.

Did you not fancy the quad exhaust option or any part of the feline kit?

Good luck with our order next week and look forward to seeing some pics.

A

Anonymous

Rippers said:
Thanks everyone for your comments, it has been a help to get feedback from RCZ owners.

All the test drives have now been done and it looks like I will be going for the RCZ after all. The TT was great but similar to what I had owned before and the VW, whilst a really good car, lacked the theatre or sense of occasion I felt driving the RCZ.
As for spec I think I will leave the sat nav as it is an expensive option and one of the beauties of the RCZ is that the price is very reasonable for such a car and I love it "as it comes" without the need to add extras or options.

That said the car I fancy ordering is:
White 200bhp Petrol
Grey leather
The stardard 19inch wheels (did wonder about some black ones but not sure)
... and that's it, simple.

Is there anything else I should consider? (I was going for a black one but have since the white and love it!)

Going to visit the dealer next weekend and if all goes to plan hope to have some pictures of it here in a few months.

Rippers

I have the standard 19"alloys and my rcz is opal white :) one extra i would definetly go for is the black mesh grill i have the standard chrome grill its ok but the all black mesh grill looks far sportier the black soltice wheels are nice but the paint can chip on them here is a photo of my car :thumbup:

Attachments

• rcz tint 2.jpg
    rcz tint 2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,643
  • rcz tint 3.jpg
    rcz tint 3.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 2,643
A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
So Tyre Silk still slings then? My current one doesn't but durability isn't the best but I can put up with that for zero sling.

yip but its not that noticeable durabilty is great and its won autoexpress awards a few years in a row,which tyre dressing do you use that doesnt sling and i will give it a go :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Its up to you its your car, you can go down all sorts of paths including carbon fibre roofs (not a big fan of them sorry to those who have them), the feline packs, and the other stripes you can get body stripes as well.

With me I went for the full feline pack, if you did not know it includes a choice of grilles, either black or silver mesh grille. Quad exhausts and side stripes either in black or silver.

i do think the feline pack does make the RCZ look even more sporty especially the exhausts (i understand why people are not too keen on the side stripes) but i am a fan of all of it.

I also went for the black wing mirrors and black brake callipers which i would recommend the brake callipers they do look better in my opinion. (images below)

I am a big fan of my midnight silver alloys that i have on my car but i understand why people like the black, silver or the ones with the brushed edging. I have not had paint chip off naturally only when kerned the section comes off.

but its completely up to you you will have to own it not us.

Attachments

• rcz1.JPG
    rcz1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,528
  • rcz2.JPG
    rcz2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,528
A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
Jassy,

How much is that "Rusty Hub Look" :eusa-whistle: ;)

YOU mean disc's ;) :lol: aint no rusty hubs not even tarnished calipers on my car mate as i have re-painted the calipers ;) before they became tarnished :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

tomy90 said:
Its up to you its your car, you can go down all sorts of paths including carbon fibre roofs (not a big fan of them sorry to those who have them), the feline packs, and the other stripes you can get body stripes as well.

With me I went for the full feline pack, if you did not know it includes a choice of grilles, either black or silver mesh grille. Quad exhausts and side stripes either in black or silver.

i do think the feline pack does make the RCZ look even more sporty especially the exhausts (i understand why people are not too keen on the side stripes) but i am a fan of all of it.

I also went for the black wing mirrors and black brake callipers which i would recommend the brake callipers they do look better in my opinion. (images below)

I am a big fan of my midnight silver alloys that i have on my car but i understand why people like the black, silver or the ones with the brushed edging. I have not had paint chip off naturally only when kerned the section comes off.

but its completely up to you you will have to own it not us.

Love the look of your rcz tomy :thumbup: but dont you think having a twin/4 port exhaust admits to having power under the bonnet lid and temps other drivers to have a go at ya on the roads and even having 200bhp never minds 156 bhp it could lead to a large red face just a reason why i wouldnt fit the feline exhaust

havig

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
Love the look of your rcz tomy :thumbup: but dont you think having a twin/4 port exhaust admits to having power under the bonnet lid and temps other drivers to have a go at ya on the roads and even having 200bhp never minds 156 bhp it could lead to a large red face just a reason why i wouldnt fit the feline exhaust

Thank you for the compliments, I know what you mean about the exhaust's, but in my opinion it does not matter so as long as you enjoy the look of it and it does not matter. Plus its not like its a shouty or a chav like exhaust system it just makes it look better in my opinion.

To be honest nobody treats it differently with the quad exhausts, considering it is still an RCZ so it does naturally scare some people off from trying.

A

Anonymous

Totally agree tomy90. I have just got the feline quads, as I believe that it "balances" the rear end and looks really good. I haven't noticed any drivers wanting a race, but that may be I'm a lot older than you and so they assume (correctly) that I'm past it. I'd prefer to think of it as grown up and past all that sort of stuff.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I have been to the dealers and got a price for my car incl extras but there are just 2 more questions I'd like to throw in here before I finalise my decision (about options etc, not the car, that is a definate :D )

Firstly I have decided to go for the pearlescent white rather than the standard white - is this a worthy option or would I be better saving my money and putting it towards something else.

Secondly I have always assumed that I would go for the 200bhp and that is what I got my quote for. I have been reading a lot of reviews this weekend and they seem to say that in the real world the 156bhp is a perfectly good car with "all the power you'll ever need" As the price difference between the 2 is quite substantial I was wondering if anyone can advise me if this is indeed the case. I know that having more power is better but is if the difference is not massive I could save a considerable amount of cash (and perhaps go for the sat nav)

Many thanks as always

Rippers

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Colour is down to personal choice.

You will find posts on this forum waxing lyrical about how marvellous pearl white is.

Equally, you will find some posts commenting on the fact that every panel appears a different colour.

Only you can decide on which is best for you.

Regarding engines, I suppose the things to think about are purchase cost, torque (acceleration) & running costs.

The 200bhp is more expensive to buy, has more torque and is a little more thirsty.

You will form your own views about how you value this things and how they square with your budget.

Best advice is to try and test drive one of each. Don't forget the diesel, which owners also rave about. It may be you would like this also, especially if you're a high milage driver.

A

Anonymous

Rippers said:
Thanks for keeping me in the loop. I have been to the dealers and got a price for my car incl extras but there are just 2 more questions I'd like to throw in here before I finalise my decision (about options etc, not the car, that is a definate :D )

Firstly I have decided to go for the pearlescent white rather than the standard white - is this a worthy option or would I be better saving my money and putting it towards something else.

Secondly I have always assumed that I would go for the 200bhp and that is what I got my quote for. I have been reading a lot of reviews this weekend and they seem to say that in the real world the 156bhp is a perfectly good car with "all the power you'll ever need" As the price difference between the 2 is quite substantial I was wondering if anyone can advise me if this is indeed the case. I know that having more power is better but is if the difference is not massive I could save a considerable amount of cash (and perhaps go for the sat nav)

Many thanks as always

Rippers

156 bhp or 200bhp dilemma :eusa-think: In my personal opinion it all depends what power is in your existing car as i jumped down from 200 bhp to 156 bhp and i find it a bit gutless at times :( but saying that i get 45 mpg so its horse for courses i only got the 156 bhp rcz because my funds were lower than normal at the time of purchase. if you go for the 156bhp engine output you need to get the sports pack as this makes the car sound sporty if you dont the 156 bhp engine sounds like a electric dodgem car its so quiet.............OH i miss the sound of the ivtec engine :lol: