What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dammit!

ksb

Reaction score
3 weeks off my RCZ and my '08 308 is dead on my driveway, this is annoying because it is part of the trade in deal.

Went to the car tonight, put my key in and all electrics appeared to be dead. Then after about 20 seconds the lights all start to come on, the rear wiper goes (?) but the engine will not start.

Putting on the head lights causes half the dash to turn off and again that rear window wiper to start.

Trying to start the engine gives some very electronic clunks and causes all the lights to dim.

Bugger.

ksb

Reaction score
Sounds like a sensible suggestion. However why would a failing battery cause it to go a bit nuts?

But yeah, i'll pop down to halfords and buy a battery I guess.

richard.au

Reaction score
Yeah, modern cars have a threshold where they go batty if you try to start them without enough juice.

I was quick with the reply before, I forgot to add, simply check for corrosion on terminals, clean if that's the case, it might get you going.

ksb

Reaction score
I've given the battery a good inspect, it shows as fully charged, so I'm fairly confident that it's ok.

From googling a bit I'm starting to think there is a problem with the starter motor. When I put the key in and turn the car on, I get mostly everything as you'd expect, although the clock is flashing and the radio is unresponsive.

Turning the key results in a fast clicking sound from the engine bay (multiple clicks) and the electrics go a bit nuts inside the car.

What I'd really like is the gut feeling of anyone who has experienced this before as I'm going to have to throw the car at the dealer to fix it and just want a bit of a head start on what to expect.

richard.au

Reaction score
Cool, as you see fit. I'm actually going to stick with my call of the battery being the problem.

I am curious as to the outcome, so thanks for more posting.

A

Anonymous

i second the battery, had the same with my corsa, not enough power to activate the solinoid (spelt wrong)

A

Anonymous

me too - my moped used to do exactly the same (the funny clicking sound) when the battery didn't have enough charge

ksb

Reaction score
I discovered that I had green flag on my insurance policy so they're on their way to drag it off to the dealers. I rather hope it's just the battery and I'd wager you guys know far more about mechanics than I do, so thanks for the replies, finger's crossed.

All it has to do is last another 2 weeks and then be traded in, but I think the car isn't quite done bleeding my wallet just yet.

Incidentally, I do like 308s, I just seem to have acquired a duff one!

ksb

Reaction score
Wheyhey it was the battery. Apparently a dead cell which meant the battery looked (to my charger) like it was fully charged, but it was in fact totally screwed.

Quick trip to halfords (once the rescue man had started the car) and a few skinned knuckles removing all the stupid plastic later and the car works again!

A

Anonymous

That's great news , now you can look forward to the RCZ coming

A

Anonymous

ksb said:
Wheyhey it was the battery. Apparently a dead cell which meant the battery looked (to my charger) like it was fully charged, but it was in fact totally screwed.

Quick trip to halfords (once the rescue man had started the car) and a few skinned knuckles removing all the stupid plastic later and the car works again!

God its a hard life at times trading in a 308 for a 308 coupe................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

ksb

Reaction score
jassyo06 said:
ksb said:

God its a hard life at times trading in a 308 for a 308 coupe................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure I get you mate? I realise the RCZ and 308 share many components, but are you hinting that I am making a mistake getting the RCZ?

I don't really feel the 308 was a mistake, it did me well apart from a few electrical niggles, and I feel the RCZ is a definite upgrade.

Rue1

Reaction score
Ignore Jassy :) lol the RCZ is awesome just clocked 11000km and have not had any problems with "Arsey"... Heading to Sydney tomorrow for a 2 week break and looking forward to the road trip

Enjoy yours when you get it I'm sure you will have as much fun as most of us here

richard.au

Reaction score
I'll keep my radar out for you Rue, rczs are a rare sight in Sydney :) if you see lots of lights flashing, that will be me :)

A

Anonymous

richard.au said:
I'll keep my radar out for you Rue, rczs are a rare sight in Sydney :) if you see lots of lights flashing, that will be me :)
or maybe the :law-policered:

richard.au

Reaction score
Did I say what my day job was. Nah, just kidding.

They'll be white flashing lights :)

Rue1

Reaction score
Lol Richard :) you won't miss me that's for sure if we do cross paths, as far as I know "arsey" is the only flat black RCZ in Aus....