What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

cutting the children

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Small WAFFLE, and no cruelty to humans. :sleeping-yellow:
Cutting the children sounds dreadful, but the Spanish expression "cortar los hijos" is exactly what it translates as.
Grandson and I have just done precisely that to our olive trees, over sixty in number.
The hijos are the new shoots which every year grow anew from either close to the soil or up to about half a metre up the trunk.
It is a ritual all olive cultivators do, although I find it difficult to believe these suckers draw much energy away from the crop of fruit forming on the trees.
Although some can be the thickness of your thumb, most are much thinner.
They are chopped off as close to the main trunk as possible using a variety of crude methods.
With gloves it is possible to remove most with a tug, but I prefer to use a small axe, no larger than a normal hammer and grab one or even a handful of hijos, and slice them off.
Our chap, if I haven't done them, kicks most off with his working boots, or batters them with the brushcutter whilst reducing the weeds to chaff.
The removal of the hijos is not to be confused with the pruning for shape and productivity, which can take place any time after harvest (turn of the year) and before the blossom buds form in spring.
Hijos, on some trees, seem to be constantly being formed during the summer and even autumn and a keen olive man will deal with them as he spots them.
No hijos, unless left to grow into new mature branches, will show buds, blossom or fruit for several years, so unless the tree is to be severely reshaped or to remove some diseased or ancient non-productive wood, they all get the chop.
Hope you found that of interest. :eusa-think:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Yes that was very interesting Stewie, now back to a small matter of - have you got that RCZ yet !!

:D :beer: :cool:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Yes that was very interesting Stewie, now back to a small matter of - have you got that RCZ yet !!

In hand.
Don't push me into buying without perspicacity. :thumbdown:
As many have said, on this forum, "don't snap up the first you see as there are a few out there". :thumbup:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
stewartwillsher said:
Plecodoras said:

In hand.
As many have said, on this forum, "don't snap up the first you see as there are a few out there". :thumbup:

Oh soz, i thought from the comments you were going for that one, i didn't realise you're still looking.

Hope you find the right one soon, and yes it's not always best to grab the first, i am sure there are many to choose from. :thumbup:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
stewartwillsher said:
Plecodoras said:

In hand.

Oh soz, i thought from the comments you were going for that one, i didn't realise you're still looking.

Hope you find the right one soon, and yes it's not always best to grab the first, i am sure there are many to choose from. :thumbup:
Passed on that one for a few reasons; if not so many down ticks might have pursued it.
Lot of dosh for the year altho' low kms.
Nothing special, like no nav pack, etc.
Glitzy dealer in a well known area of Madrid for flogging tarted up expensive jam jars, which unless I know their reputation is good, puts me off.
My man (owner of Pug dealership and workshop who looks after our motors) wrinkled his nose, which was clincher!