What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Crunchy gear changes, kid gloves needed?

A

Anonymous

Hi.
Since I bought my used 156 about 6 months ago I have noticed that I have to be very careful and slow on the gear changes, especially from 1st to 2nd.

I took the car to my dealers, Marshall of St Neots where I bought the car with a question about the bushes (I learned of a potential problem with them on here) and as well as offering to change them both under warranty they identified the problem with the gearbox. The technician was gone in it for about 15 minutes and 12 miles on the test drive though, I guess they like driving customers RCZ's ;-)

They told me that due to a modification they thought water had got into the gearbox oil affecting it's viscosity and was that that was making gear changes difficult.

I am waiting for them to have the car in to do both jobs under warranty but wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem?

A

Anonymous

Col, I have the same issue's with gear changes from first to second but it seems only when the gearbox is cold it would seem. I've found double de clutch helps to get into gear but I'd be interested as to your outcome and may even take mine in to be looked at. Watch this space I guess

A

Anonymous

Ooh I'm glad I'm not the only one then, I was beginning to think I was just being paranoid.
It's not acceptable that one has to double de clutch in a modern car but that is basically what I have to do and yes it is a bit better when the engine is warm but still not right.
They have given me a date of the 10th and 11th Jan to do both jobs and to give me a courtesy car but I've asked them if there is any way they can have it in quickly sooner just to change the oil.....it shouldn't be a very long job and I have offered to wait. I'm still waiting for them to get back to me and will keep you posted.

A

Anonymous

I also experience crunchy gear changes both from first to second gear and from second to first. It's a horrible sensation. I first raised this on the forum some months back and other members also complained of similar problems with their gearboxes. However, we never did manage to find an answer to this. Similarly to Chuzz, mine improves as the engine warms up but first thing in the morning it is simply horrible. Please update us with anything you find out!!

A

Anonymous

To keep you all updated I had the work done today and on the short journey back home I have to admit it did feel a bit smoother but I'm sure more miles will give me a better idea.

A

Anonymous

cozza said:
To keep you all updated I had the work done today and on the short journey back home I have to admit it did feel a bit smoother but I'm sure more miles will give me a better idea.

Did they say what the problem was Colin? Lets hope its sorted for good ;-)

A

Anonymous

They originally said there had been a modification that had possibly allowed water into the gearbox that had affected the viscosity of the oil.

A

Anonymous

Right all. I've done a round trip of 200 miles now and can confirm there is a definite improvement in the gear changing.

A

Anonymous

cozza said:
Right all. I've done a round trip of 200 miles now and can confirm there is a definite improvement in the gear changing.
Great news, might take mine in and see what they say ;-)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

I hate the gear change, especially first to 2nd, this is probably the main reason why I am looking to change my car. When it was in for a service recently they tried to tell me that the clutch is going, however, it has been like it since about 7k miles and reported at least 3 times?

A

Anonymous

Yes I agree and while mine is a little better after the oil change I would expect a smoother slicker change from a car retailing at way over £20,000.