What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Correct oil level

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, either position will be ok but I prefer the higher mark as these engines seem to use a little oil and the dipstick level should be checked regularly, if your oil is quite clean (and it should be) the dipstick isn’t the easiest to see the level on, what I do is dab it on a piece of kitchen roll, to show where the oil is on the dipstick :thumbup:

I love my RCZ

Reaction score
Hi and thanks. The message 'oil level incorrect' appeared after 5000 km from the last car service. I regularly check the oil and in Peugeot's service they told me that the oil level is ok until the next service.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you may need to top up during 5000k driving

Nemi

Reaction score
I top up my engine oil between changes. Usually that's after around 3000 km. It is recommended to change oil every 30000 km but i change it every 10000 km :?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I do not recommend to rely on the display message only when it comes to engine oil level.
Instead, dive under the bonnet once in a while (I'd say once a month should be fine) and check the level on even ground with the engine stone cold.
Our THP engines only run healthy when always on MAX oil level. Less oil level may cause premature wear off on chain tensioner leading to higher costs than the occasional oil fill up. Therefore be sure you always run on MAX, not half of it. :greetings-wavingblue:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My car has a service plan, so it’s done by Peugeot main dealers, but I have to top my oil quite regularly.

I did once get the oil level incorrect message @ a year or so after buying the car. Despite the regular servicing, when I checked, the dipstick was dry. :eek:

I have never had a car use as much oil as the Z, and had been complacent, relying on the annual service to be enough. The dry dipstick came as a shock. I topped it up to the max level, and then monitored the levels in case this was the sign of some issue.
I have no oil in the coolant, there is no oil on the underneath of the engine, or where it parks, it just uses oil. I have learned over the years of ownership to check my level at least once a month, and be prepared to top up on most checks.

Definitely go to the top mark, the engine then has some leeway, if it is an oil user, before the level gets dangerously low.