What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Coolant drop 0,1l per 2000km

NF7

Reaction score
My coolant started dropping. About 0,1l every 2000 kilometres. Car does not smoke, no sludge under the cap. There does not seem to be any leak.

Any ideas? Or should I just forget about it.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be down to a pin hole in a pipe and only leaking when under pressure and evaporates on the hot engine so no coolant is seen

Reactions: NF7

gravelsandwich

Reaction score
I have the same problem, no sludge under the cap and no smoke but I have noticed a lot of residue around the head or cam cover which suggests it's leaking from one of these gaskets.

NF7

Reaction score
I have the same problem, no sludge under the cap and no smoke but I have noticed a lot of residue around the head or cam cover which suggests it's leaking from one of these gaskets.
Did you fix it or are you planning to?

Pedro

Reaction score
Change the filler cap on the expansion tank mine lost a small amount of coolant after a few weeks & anti freeze stains underneath the bottle confirmed my suspicions bought a new cap end of problem

NF7

Reaction score
Thanks, keep me posted . I plan to take it to a garage in about a month and a half.

gravelsandwich

Reaction score
I've got the diagnosis back from my service agent and and the cause of the leaking coolant is the coolant outlet tank. I think it's also called the thermostat coolant housing. Of course it's plastic and has cracked. You can buy them for around $150 -$250. The job to replace it looks fairly involved, It's buried deep in the engine bay but not impossible and you'll save at least $1000. I'm getting charged $1500 for the diagnosis and replacement which is pretty steep but unfortunately as my RCZ is in pieces at the dealer so I've got no choice. Here's a YouTube video on how to replace the tank.

NF7

Reaction score
I've got the diagnosis back from my service agent and and the cause of the leaking coolant is the coolant outlet tank. I think it's also called the thermostat coolant housing. Of course it's plastic and has cracked. You can buy them for around $150 -$250. The job to replace it looks fairly involved, It's buried deep in the engine bay but not impossible and you'll save at least $1000. I'm getting charged $1500 for the diagnosis and replacement which is pretty steep but unfortunately as my RCZ is in pieces at the dealer so I've got no choice. Here's a YouTube video on how to replace the tank.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check with my mechanic next time I'm there.

EDIT: Forgot to say - that I've been monitoring the loss every 1000km. It seemed to stop on its own, as I've now driven over 3500km and didn't lose any coolant.

Last edited:

Ahmed

Reaction score
Problem similar to yours, started at 100ml progressed t0 400ml for 2 hours driving. Mechanic diagnosed water pump, but would only do the whole water pump, thermo housing and all pipes for 1100 pounds (150 parts + 950 labour). Did water pump myself, unfortunately stripped one thread, Still leaking, but only about 200 ml every 4 hours driving. Changing the water pump, hard, engine has to be tilted, very cramped , speacial tools. Changing thermo housing challenging. The pipe in between water pump and thermo housing, good luck. Which is what I will be doing in about 6 months. Now I know why he wanted 950 labour.