What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Considering an RCZ R guys.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys

I am actually using the account i set up for my girlfriend. She has a mk1 rcz 156 on 19 inch sport wheels and she loves it. :thumbup:

As of late i have been developing my own car project. And to be honest i have come to the conclusion to get this car where i want it to be power wise, its going to be tough. And it would be much more realistic and financially viable to acquire a machine with the power output i am after. After driving my girlfriends Z and falling for its charm and surprising driving dynamics and qualities, i think the type R version would be perfect for me.

I have a few other cars in my mind also. TTRS and the Caymen S mk1.

I know i could get a much lower mileage RCZ R with the budget i have to spend.

My questions are to owners of the R. What performance machines have they come from, and did this model live up to their expectations? I do the odd track day through the year and i think all 3 of my choices would be right for the job. Look forward to hearing back from owners of the R or guys who are running around the same power 270bhp with their Z'ds.

Damien.

A

Anonymous

Hi Damien, my wife has a R and she is over the moon with it, I do drive it now and then, and can say it is a very fast machine with fantastic handling, I currently drive an Abarth 500 esseesse, which I love and had it for a couple of years now, but over the years I have been lucky enough to own a couple of fast Fords - mk1 Focus RS and mk2 Focus RS with the montune upgrade, so the mk2 was running at 350bhp and I can say I think the R is just as quick from point to point!!
For me I think it's a no brainer, a car with that sort of performance, cheap to run, rare - with just under 300 in the UK (hopefully I have the correct figures) and beautiful styling, say no more.
Hope this helps, Warren

A

Anonymous

Hi Damien,

I had a TT roadster for eight and a half years and when it got to 100k miles I started thinking about different cars, TTS, Boxer, 370z, even a Z4 (not sure why).

I don't do any track days and now I don't do many miles so running costs/miles on the car etc were all taken into consideration.

I ended up with my R due to the looks, value for money and performance but its massively over looked. Lots of people said 'a Peugeot ?' but they know nothing. I love the performance and the toys on the car. The active headlights to buy on a TT would mean a new mortgage and the soul of my first born.

I've only had my R two weeks but have no regrets.

Colin.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Warren and Colin

Really appreciate the feedback and comparisons. I come from performance Audi coupes and saloons. And presently a modified Alfa which has been testing to say the least. I really love my girlfriends RCZ its just a joy to drive. I have to say i pointed her to it, as she wanted a mk2 TT. And i am so glad she bought the Z.

For me its R has it all in a performance package. Brakes, LSD and i hear the chassis is a decent compromise between being competent on track to having decent ride quality on uk roads.
I have decided to go and test drive an R this month. And concider putting my present car up for sale. Fingers crossed. :thumbup:

Damien.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Good choice!

I'd call my R as a "hard working car". I put a lot of miles on it and mainly on very fast autobahn stretches doing +130mph all the time (where unlimited). This gives me a lot of opportunities to run across various other sports cars. And as the R looks like a small sports car very often people are tempted to give it a try against me.
It can easily stand up to the Cayman S mk1, don't worry about that, be it on B roads or for pure straight performance. The R's engine has enough power to pull the car well above 150mph. And it feels strong all the way to the limited 155mph.
I haven't met a TTRS yet on my journeys but coming from other turbocharged cars (all above 250bhp) where I run across few of these I recall this Audi as not being very fast in stock mode. They need to be tweaked to live up.

But as tempting this flat out driving is I for myself love the R's composure when driving fast on winding roads. Or doing 130+ on some twisty autobahns. I enjoy it on my few yearly road trips to the Alps too. Out there it shines. It is those places where a good setup is making up for raw engine power only. Then you can sit on the tail of a much more powerful car and watch it jumping all over the place where the R remains settled.

Albeit sitting well sorted on the road it is far away from being boring to drive. It represents this certain mixture of "controlled excitement" :cool:
I mean, even if sports bike riders tell me after a downhill passage, "how the heck can you keep up with us on these roads?" it speaks for itself.

I have not yet been to a track day with the R. For me, the daily dosis of german autobahn wars is more than enough, haha.
But it should be very good at that. The brakes are ferocious and fading-resistant. I wasn't able to kill them on all those Alp serpentines. Suspension is well set up without being rock-hard. The car has a happy tail for tail-braking. And the LSD is working magic, as always.
The chassis is not that torsion-resistant like that of a Renault Megane Sport, but honestly you only sense that on the very very limit when going over some serious bumps, like kerbs at speed well above 90mph.

I do drive other cars too, up to V8 engined cars. Generally I do not drive cars with less than 200bhp for the sake of comfort and safety.
Before the R I tried the new Golf GTI, Golf R, Focus ST, Audi S3. None of them gave me thrills like the R does.

A

Anonymous

Hi Sheila 747
if you did not buy yet RCZr think one more what did you miss, I have RCZ automatic and runs like " old mans car" in comparison with RCZr, I thought that is fast as was faster than other cars on road, but after I tried manual version of RCZ which is faster than auto version ,this new RCZr is even faster,
the only problem is that everyone wants to challenge you on traffic lights, don't be afraid 5.9 sec is fast to impress others, so BUY IT, has few problems with sound system , is not what would you expect from expensive car,
so if you enjoy acceleration you must have it

RCZ-R

Reaction score
drsdoslo said:
Hi Sheila 747
if you did not buy yet RCZr think one more what did you miss, I have RCZ automatic and runs like " old mans car" in comparison with RCZr, I thought that is fast as was faster than other cars on road, but after I tried manual version of RCZ which is faster than auto version ,this new RCZr is even faster,
the only problem is that everyone wants to challenge you on traffic lights, don't be afraid 5.9 sec is fast to impress others, so BUY IT, has few problems with sound system , is not what would you expect from expensive car,
so if you enjoy acceleration you must have it

what problems? I drive the car since almost 2 years with the JBL system on board and no issues at all. What problems do you have with it on your R?