What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Condensation (Still !)

A

Anonymous

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with condensation in the rear lights ?
I have had them out - dried them thoroughly - refitted and then 2 days later it's back.
I also found a small amount of water in the rear wing.
The rear drivers side (UK) is worse than the other side.

A

Anonymous

I have tested that the water runs away from the top and the fuel filler cap.
It's does.
I have sprayed water from under the wheel arches.
No leaks.
I have removed both lights and dried them.
Unfortunately I left the hairdryer to close or too hot and have mis-shapen the hole so have
had to do a bit of DIY to get the bulb back in - so am not the happiest bunny !
Anyways it's all back together and working.
One thing I did notice that both lights are not totally sealed - at the lowest, most pointed
corner, as when I held them up water dripped out.
I will be going to the dealer next week to see if that's how they should be then depending on price
and bank balance will have to order 1 or 2 more light units.

A

Anonymous

I had water inside my boot when I first had the car, the carpet lining was dry but there was water in the tyrewell, and a fair bit too.
I checked for leaks but couldnt see anything, eventually after weeks of searching by myself and the dealers, I worked out that it was condensation from having an alloy spare wheel in the tyrewell !
I found that the exhausts rear box sits very close to wall of the tyrewell and in cold weather the warmth coming through the tyrewell wall warms up the alloy on the spare, so starting and stopping of the engine was causing the alloy to get warm and cold, therefor getting condensation around it, after a while a pool of water was sitting under the spare.
Warmth transferring through from the exhaust box meeting big cold spare alloy wheel = condensation.
After a trip in your Z feel the side wall of the tyrewell, you'll be surprised how much heat comes through the wall, in fact theres a heat shield mat stuck to the metal floor of the boot because of the heat coming through, so Peugeot know about heat transfer within the boot/tyrewell.

I dried everything out and wrapped the alloy spare in a cotton blanket and hey presto, no more condensation or water in the tyre well. :thumbup:

As for your lights, well mine are ok, no condensation, however my old Vauxhall Astra suffered terribly from the rear lights getting condensated, I took it back countless times to the dealers and had complete new sets fitted and seals a number of times, but it always reoccurred.
Vauxhall even modified the seals around the lights and anounced a call back for certain models, but they still couldnt solve the condensation. If I remember correctly the explanation was something like, "plastic lens's create and hold more warmth from the bulbs hence causing condensation on damp/wet days, and depending on the actual shape of the lens, some cars suffered worse than others, ie the Astra H".
Vauxhall finally admitted defeat with their Astra H and actually made the top of the lens on newer models slightly opaque so that any condensation was not so apparant, basically still having the problem but now masking it from view. :roll:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
After reading Jactacs post. Do you have LED bulbs? They dont create as much heat so may help with the problem if you dont have them.

A

Anonymous

There are LEDS but only the reversing lights.
Brake light / rear light is normal bulb.
Thanks for trying.
I'm sure that the unit should be sealed and by the fact that it leaks water OUT from one from the sharpest corner must be the reason it allows water in, is my guess.
I will oder a new cluster and if that doesn't solve the problem I'm going to just have to live with it.

A

Anonymous

Not sure how much a new cluster is going to cost in your country, but over here (UK) I've heard it said that they cost around £400 each :eek: