What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Condensation in rear light cluster

A

Anonymous

While leathering off the car today I discovered that one of my rear light clusters has a lot of condensation inside.
Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it ?
The car is 2 months just out of warranty (Nov 2011), I wondered if they (Peugeot) are likely to look favorably on me and still exchange it ?

A

Anonymous

Have you checked the butterfly screws that hold the light in place are tight? One of them working loose could be enough to allow moisture to enter and produce the condensation that you now see? They're located in the panels inside the boot.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
One way to stop it is to put one of those little packets you get in a box of new shoes in the cluster. Once its clear, take it out and reseal anywhere that should be sealed.

A

Anonymous

I have contacted the local pug dealer and await their response. In the meantime (when it stops raining - yes it also rains in Portugal) I will remove the light to see how the water is getting in.
I thought it was best to 'leather off' is that old fashioned ?
Please tell me more RCZ1 as to why I should stop - what about the water marks ?

Abzynthe

Reaction score
O Lusitanian said:
I have contacted the local pug dealer and await their response. In the meantime (when it stops raining - yes it also rains in Portugal) I will remove the light to see how the water is getting in.

It sounds dirty :p

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Off topic - but I would cease"leathering off" your car ;)

Oh my dad's chamois'd his car forever and not caused any major swirls :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
O Lusitanian said:

Use super soft micro fibre drying towels to dry your car. Much softer and kinder to your paintwork and will dry a full car without having to wring it out.

This
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... _1297.html

Or this
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibr ... d_947.html

Excellent drying towels :)

A

Anonymous

Micro cloth on order. Aren't they the ones that the missus uses to do the windows ?
Any way both rear lights are now removed. Takes a bit of jiggling to dislocate the nipple from it's hole but they seems to have been removed without damage.
Now they are off I am using a combination of hair drier and being near the fire to get rid of the condensation.
It's strange (to me) that there isn't a rubber seal between the light assemble and the body.
I presume the design is that any water that gets behind the light runs off to join with the water tracks around the boot.
There are some rubber grommets to seal the holes for the wires to enter the rear (underside) of the cluster but thinking back to what I did yesterday my guess is that they can't cope with a pressure washer !
Hopefully by the morning they will be condensation free and I can put them back.
That will cheer the wife up as I'm getting the feeling that the car being parked on the patio (the only outside space we have with a roof) just outside the front door hasn't gone down to well !

A

Anonymous

Yes I must confess that I was a little surprised by quite how the unit was attached and sealed too.

A

Anonymous

Mrizzle, mine don't have any seals are you saying that yours do ?
I have now noticed that during the wiggling process to remove the
lights I have taken some paint away in the corner.
I wonder if there is a knack to remove them more easily ?

A

Anonymous

No no, quite the opposite. I'm agreeing with your observations.

Sadly there is no real knack to their removal. Brute force seems to be the easiest and least damaging way to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Phew, you had me worried then that I had a Friday car.
I have replaced the condensation free lights now - but sadly misplaced one of the nipple holders, so at least that side will come out easier next time !
I have also used some household door / window seal, to see if that improves the condensation problem.
I'll be going to my local pug dealer later in the week to get his thoughts on my 'up grade' and to order a new nipple holder (simmer down) although I am tempted just to leave it without one.

A

Anonymous

Sorry for causing the panic!! Your solution sounds like a good one to me but I'd have probably waited until after speaking with the dealership myself.

Good luck chasing down your missing nipple!! :lol: