What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cold start issues...

samwell

Reaction score
Well it seems the first fault may be upon me...with only 5000 miles under its belt!

This week, my RCZ has been getting progressively poorer at firing up. When I first got it, it would turn over and fire up as you would expect up to around 1,900 rpm, before quickly settling down to around 1,000 rpm until warmed up. Throughout the week it was taking longer to fire up, and when it does the revs wouldn't rise to around 1,900 but would go to just over 1,000. Then last night and today, I had to use the accelerator to get it to fire up, as otherwise it was simply turning over. Once it did fire up, it didn't seem to want to idle so I'd have to keep the revs up for around 20 seconds or so, then it settles down. Once it's warmed up, it's perfect.

Also, I haven't seen the engine temp change from 90 after warming up, however today it was fluctuating between 90 and 100 at around 80mph on a freezing day, with the big* fan constantly on. But on my return trip, it was fine, staying at 90 and the big fan only coming on in some stop/start traffic :eusa-think:

Anyone else had this problem, I did a quick search but didn't spot anything. I'm going to take it to Peugeot but just wanted to know if this issue has been seen before?

Cheers :)

*I say big fan, I imagine it's the same fan but with 2 speeds. The first always comes on after I switch the engine off, fine. The second seems to be louder (spinning faster) and is what I experienced today.

A

Anonymous

I have the 156 petrol and have not noticed a problem with starting.
I do find that the engine takes longer to warm up if the internal heaters are on, but this is normal I guess.
Also on a cold start mine ticks over around 1200 revs anyway then drops back to around 900 revs when warm, I dont think I've ever seen it up as far as 1900 revs when cold, even on an icey cold day.

My normal running temp never fluctuates it is always static just below the center mark, I'm not sure what that is as I dont have the car here to check !

As for the fan , I do hear it when I park up, it's not that loud and goes off after about a minute I guess.

samwell

Reaction score
Sorry, posted in a rush, it is the 156 petrol.

With regards to the revs, perhaps I wasn't clear. It doesn't sit at 1,900, it only rises that far as it fires up, then straight down to around 1,000. Which is what I would expect, this issue means it struggles into life and just breaches 1,000 revs as it fires up.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what Peugeot say.

A

Anonymous

Sounds like the tempreture sensor mate i had mines replaced, the sensor when faulty shuts down the automatic choke hence hard to start it also sends the fan into overtime and plays havoc with temp gauge and its not just down to only the 156bhp engine its down to a indiginous wiring and components by peugeot get it to the dealers asap no doubt they will have to order the part :thumbdown:

samwell

Reaction score
jassyo06 said:
Sounds like the tempreture sensor mate i had mines replaced, the sensor when faulty shuts down the automatic choke hence hard to start it also sends the fan into overtime and plays havoc with temp gauge and its not just down to only the 156bhp engine its down to a indiginous wiring and components by peugeot get it to the dealers asap no doubt they will have to order the part :thumbdown:

jassy, that's great thanks for your response! I'm going to take it to Peugeot tomorrow I'll let you know how I get on.

samwell

Reaction score
Update: First visit to Fish Brothers Peugeot, Swindon today, excellent customer service. They diagnosed the fault - knackered temperature sensor - shortly after I popped in and got it fixed for me by the end of the day. Fortunately they had a replacement part in stock. Top work :thumbup: