What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Clutch thrust bearing noise

Andy B

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m new to the RCZ world but I’m an engineer by profession and have always been into maintaining my own cars over the past 30+ years etc.

One week into driving my 65 plate 15k 2.0lite diesel I’ve noticed a very annoying (remember I’m an engineer 🤦‍♂️) squeal/squeak just as the clutch lets the plate come into contact with the fly wheel
It does it in any gear and at any speed including stationary.
My assumption is it’s the thrust bearing squealing a little bit as the thrust comes on to it.

Question;
Has anyone else experienced anything similar and what was the outcome?
Im personally thinking new thrust bearing and its associated fitting costs ??
Thanks 😊 🙏

Ian J.

Reaction score
I've got a similar issue with my 2015 34k car. It's done it from a week after I bought it and done 5000 miles since, although not all the time and only from stationary not between gears .
2 garages have looked it and neither are 100 per cent sure what the issue is.
Car drives perfectly and gear change is smooth but makes the noise just as the clutch is biting from stationary.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi all

I’m new to the RCZ world but I’m an engineer by profession and have always been into maintaining my own cars over the past 30+ years etc.

One week into driving my 65 plate 15k 2.0lite diesel I’ve noticed a very annoying (remember I’m an engineer 🤦‍♂️) squeal/squeak just as the clutch lets the plate come into contact with the fly wheel
It does it in any gear and at any speed including stationary.
My assumption is it’s the thrust bearing squealing a little bit as the thrust comes on to it.

Question;
Has anyone else experienced anything similar and what was the outcome?
Im personally thinking new thrust bearing and its associated fitting costs ??
Thanks 😊 🙏
You could be right & its a new clutch assembly if its the bearing that's the joys of dual mass flywheels set ups

Ian J.

Reaction score
You could be right & its a new clutch assembly if its the bearing that's the joys of dual mass flywheels set ups
Pedro
Excuse my ignorance but is the dual mass flywheel part of the clutch so if I get the clutch changed the dual mass is replaced at the same time

Andy B

Reaction score
I've got a similar issue with my 2015 34k car. It's done it from a week after I bought it and done 5000 miles since, although not all the time and only from stationary not between gears .
2 garages have looked it and neither are 100 per cent sure what the issue is.
Car drives perfectly and gear change is smooth but makes the noise just as the clutch is biting from stationary.
Thanks for your reply Ian
Your input is gladly received 👍👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Pedro
Excuse my ignorance but is the dual mass flywheel part of the clutch so if I get the clutch changed the dual mass is replaced at the same time
I would in hindsight change the flywheel whilst the box is off as a "peace of mind" scenario the Dual mass flywheels are being replaced by car manufacturers mainly due to them being somewhat problematic & at my local Peugeot dealership the service manager said they recommend installing the whole clutch kit when they get them in for the Generic "Clunking noise" during dear changes & he stressed it was not to rip off his customers but to save them having to pay more yo have the box off a second time for a missed opportunity to rectify a previous related problem

Flanners

Reaction score
Just had new DMF, clutch and bearing kit etc fitted at Dealership under warranty so no cost thankfully as circa £1500+ at Main Dealers! Clutch was mooing/screeching on 1st/reverse at times usually on an incline under load, DMF was knocking slightly as well on tickover which ceased when clutch depressed. Another part not up to standard.

If I was paying I would put a SMF in as a replacement from Pug1Off, as DMF are utter crap. When apart everything, as has been said should be replaced whilst in there.

Last edited:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue. I had the entire clutch assembly including plate & DMF replaced under extended warranty. I think the bill was @ £1600. I was told if the clutch plate was worn, it wouldn’t be covered by warranty as it would be fw&t, but it was like new apparently, so it was replaced foc with the rest of the kit.

Marmite

Reaction score
Mine also does it on a R but I tend to avoid leaving it in gear with the clutch depressed for very long at lights an I find this helps but every now an again it does it ..... what a racket Least it’s normal 🤣

Flanners

Reaction score
What worried me is the chattering is an indication of it's demise, I realised it could last for ages as my car is low mileage and loads of DMF's chatter from around 30K but if it did go it would probably take the 'box with it and with 270bhp that played on my mind as did the embarrassing noises and I don't 'ride' the clutch. I have now piece of mind and no diesel type tickover noises.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I had the timing gear changed on mine, and literally a month later it started the chattering. So it went.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You need to self isolate your car.
This will involve sitting inside it for 14 days and make sure it has a mask over its front grill. You could stick a swab up it's exhaust, but I don’t recommend it. 😷😱

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
And don't forget to keep checking the temperature gauge if it's high then definitely got covid

Ian J.

Reaction score
Also if you wake up one morning and its turned bright yellow then its clearly lost its sense of taste which can be another Covid symptom.