What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

chip casualty

A

Anonymous

Local dealer have had first RCZ in with engine blown...the guy had chipped his THP200 and went for a big increase on BHP...the engine blew. Mechanic told me that they refused to repair as the car had been modified hence warranty voided. They will reinstate the warranty but only if they provide new parts and new engine and ancillaries are fitted by dealership to original spec...apparently this guy now has to find many £thousands and a long wait (apparently shortage of engines as they are being grabbed up for new builds )..they havent even offered a courtesy car as if warranty voided so is the cover

beware

A

Anonymous

Bad news. Was it a custom map? Would you happen to have the details adrian?

A

Anonymous

The only chips coming near my car are in a tube with the name "Pringles" on it! This is the risk of non authorised modifications...having to find thousands of pounds to repair the damage...frightening.

A

Anonymous

Its always a big problem when people simply "Go for more horse power" without understading that optimising the engine is be best idea.

Garage here used to lean out maps when mapping Honda engines.. Brilliant power.. 220-230Bhp naturally aspirated but it was too lean and many an engine imploded.

A Balanced map is the way to go. if you want big power then you have to change the other components and keep an engine in equilibrium

A

Anonymous

adrian said:
Local dealer have had first RCZ in with engine blown...the guy had chipped his THP200 and went for a big increase on BHP...the engine blew. Mechanic told me that they refused to repair as the car had been modified hence warranty voided. They will reinstate the warranty but only if they provide new parts and new engine and ancillaries are fitted by dealership to original spec...apparently this guy now has to find many £thousands and a long wait (apparently shortage of engines as they are being grabbed up for new builds )..they havent even offered a courtesy car as if warranty voided so is the cover

beware

Bumped into the guy above ..he has his RCZ back but said he was nearly £3000 out of pocket...cost of work needed to return car to original condition. I asked him about his chip tune, he stated he upped it to 240bhp and wont be getting it done again . Not related but I posted earlier in reply to a question about lease car chipping... A few years back I had to sack one of my project managers for remapping his company car..I was gutted as he was good but HR were insistent

A

Anonymous

I cant really see the point of it for such limited returns and increased risk. If you want more performance buy a car engineered for it. I traded down from nearly 500hp (standard form) and you know it still takes me the same time to get to work in the RCZ as it did on the 998!!

I bought the car for it's looks and novelty factor rather than straight line speed. It is pleasing to drive and turns heads.

It does remind of a fatal road accident the other day at the end of the road to my village, souped up Clio comes round the corner travelling too fast, car in front is turning so Clio runs down the inside sliding on full brakes, causes innocent car on the other side of the road to head on the turning car. 3 killed, Clio driver walks away unharmed.

According to the traffic officer who is a friend the clio was modified to the nines and insurance unaware...... Apparantly the police now have the maps reviewed in fatals.