What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Ceramic coatings

braveheart

Reaction score
Hi all looking for info on ceramic coatings anyone had it done or has any experience on applying them ?

thanks

RCZ1

Reaction score
braveheart said:
Hi all looking for info on ceramic coatings anyone had it done or has any experience on applying them ?

thanks
Are you thinking of applying it yourself ? If you do make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and watch you tube videos if you can, on application. You should have somewhere to keep the car undercover for 24 hours at least for it to cure. Many take long fee than this to fully cure. It shouldn’t get rained on for the first 24 hours ideally.

The main thing is the prep. It has to be thorough and right. Wash and fully decontaminate the car and clay it. Follow this by avoid polish, preferably by machine to ensure that the paint is as good as it can be.

Before applying the coating give the paintwork a thorough IPA wipe down to remove any oils from the polishes etc. Now you would be ready to apply the coating ensuring you follow the instructions and don’t over apply. A little goes a long way. Don’t buff just wipe any residue away.

Alternatively you could pay a professional detailer to detail your car and apply it for you.

braveheart

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
braveheart said:

thanks
Are you thinking of applying it yourself ? If you do make sure you follow the instructions to the letter and watch you tube videos if you can, on application. You should have somewhere to keep the car undercover for 24 hours at least for it to cure. Many take long fee than this to fully cure. It shouldn’t get rained on for the first 24 hours ideally.

The main thing is the prep. It has to be thorough and right. Wash and fully decontaminate the car and clay it. Follow this by avoid polish, preferably by machine to ensure that the paint is as good as it can be.

Before applying the coating give the paintwork a thorough IPA wipe down to remove any oils from the polishes etc. Now you would be ready to apply the coating ensuring you follow the instructions and don’t over apply. A little goes a long way. Don’t buff just wipe any residue away.

Alternatively you could pay a professional detailer to detail your car and apply it for you.
Hi i wasnt looking to do it myself but thx for info i was wondering if it is worth the money, how durable is it ? How to maintain it? Special car shampoo that sort of info

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

tianorth

Reaction score
I've had it done to both cars, one from new and one a few years old.
Both cars had to have the paint work at its finest, as once it on its very had to come off.
They have only been producing ceramic coating for cars for about 4 or 5 years and within that time the products have also changed, but the first cars to get it still have it apparently!

I got mine done to try and prevent the paintwork becoming damaged.
It won't stop or prevent stone chips but will help in preventing atmospheric contaminations from marring the paintwork.

I took my car back to my detailer mid last year after a year or 2, when I went to pick it up he said it was so nice to wash the car (as once ceramic coating has been done it's very rare to see it again), the dirt just washed off the the power washer, when he hand washed it afterwards, he nearly fell to the floor as it was so smooth (no contaminations) to hold the wash cloth back!!!
He topped up the hyrdoscopic coating to make water/rain sheer off.
He also didn't charge as much as he didn't have to do all the work, as he had already done it!

As I'm not that confident with the paintwork I chose a detailer who didn't mind me asking lots of daft questions and also trying to understand the whole process.
He was fine with all that but when he needed to concentrate told me to bugger off (in a nice way).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RCZ1

Reaction score
braveheart said:
RCZ1 said:
braveheart said:

thanks

Hi i wasnt looking to do it myself but thx for info i was wondering if it is worth the money, how durable is it ? How to maintain it? Special car shampoo that sort of info

It is worth the money as it does last quite a while, differing depending on which one is used. 2 years upwards. If you have a ceramic coating then usually part of the package is that you go back after a year or two to have a top up.

With regards to maintaining it, there are shampoos which are purely for coated cars I.e they are pure and without gloss enhancers or waxes which can clog the quartz coatings. They are not difficult to look after. Just like any other protected car.

They don’t prevent scratches or swirls but do add a degree of hardness to the paintwork and sheet water well. It’s almost like a protect and forget system. If you are not keen on waxing your car on a regular basis then this would be perfect for you.

braveheart

Reaction score
tianorth said:
I've had it done to both cars, one from new and one a few years old.
Both cars had to have the paint work at its finest, as once it on its very had to come off.
They have only been producing ceramic coating for cars for about 4 or 5 years and within that time the products have also changed, but the first cars to get it still have it apparently!

I got mine done to try and prevent the paintwork becoming damaged.
It won't stop or prevent stone chips but will help in preventing atmospheric contaminations from marring the paintwork.

I took my car back to my detailer mid last year after a year or 2, when I went to pick it up he said it was so nice to wash the car (as once ceramic coating has been done it's very rare to see it again), the dirt just washed off the the power washer, when he hand washed it afterwards, he nearly fell to the floor as it was so smooth (no contaminations) to hold the wash cloth back!!!
He topped up the hyrdoscopic coating to make water/rain sheer off.
He also didn't charge as much as he didn't have to do all the work, as he had already done it!

As I'm not that confident with the paintwork I chose a detailer who didn't mind me asking lots of daft questions and also trying to understand the whole process.
He was fine with all that but when he needed to concentrate told me to bugger off (in a nice way).

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Ok thx im going to get the full paint de-con 1st stage polish and g-technic base and top coat

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I bought a two pack ceramic coating for my car. It states that it is guaranteed for 10 years protection !
But I like waxing my car, so I haven't used it, plus my car lives outside so it would have to be done on two perfect days, not easy in the UK even in summer.
I do like the waxes from Fusso99, not a ceramic coat I know, but they are a synthetic silicon polymer base and seem to last really well with exceptional hydrophobic properties.
We do like our cars to look nice !

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Last time the baby (108) went in for a service, hombre dice (sorry - man said) "been under trees, eh?" :shock:
"er, yes", was my admission. :(
"well, we did what we could" said man.
"looks good, to me" said I. :thumbup:
And to be honest, with a less critical eye than in my younger days, it is pretty and looks clean and sparkly.
So, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that. :clap:
No elbow grease on my part and a clean gleaming motor. :thumbup:
Apologies to the detailers and perfectionists, but it was good enough for a lazy old git!
:oops: :oops: :oops: