What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Caring For Matte Paint (Asphalt)

Smiler

Reaction score
I Found this while looking for products/Advice for my Asphalt,Hope it helps members on here :thumbup:

Ive purchased the Swissvax products after seeking advice on Detailing world and polished Bliss.
http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/category ... he-detail/
Matte Paint Care Myths: DEBUNKED!
Posted on May 5, 2012 by James Detmer
There’s nothing in this world quite like allowing fact to bust the cap off mere theories. Believe me, in the detailing community, all sorts of nonsense churning out on the interwebs. Troll some detailing forums, you’re guaranteed to see them – a whole muck of unadvised claims without much evidence to back it up. Still don’t believe me? Well believe this… there are actually people out there who think polishing protects their car. Nevertheless, I’m here to shine some light on a few matte finish myths that have been circulating for quite some time.

MYTH #1: You can’t protect a matte paint finish.
Busted. While this may have been the case when matte paint first emerged into the automotive marketplace, it certainly is not the case today. At the same time, this myth does make sense if and only if the protection product uses fillers, silicones, or any type of wax. So what’s that mean? It means the only (effective) way to protect matte paint is with a liquid matte paint sealant specifically formulated not to increase the surface’s gloss rating.

MYTH #2: It’s hard to take care of a matte painted car.
The problem here is in the wording. If you consider taking care of a “regular” (non-matte) car hard, then sure, maintaining a matte car might be tough for you. Chances are if you’re on this blog you care about your car and how it looks, and with that said, chances are you understand where I’m coming from here. Taking care of a matte painted car is no more work that properly caring for a glossy car. By the way, the mere fact that you’ll never be polishing your matte car makes it that much easier to care for. Matte finishes are way less susceptible to clear coat scratches and swirl marks simply because the matte finish is non-reflective. If you know about the science of scratches, you also know that when there’s no light to reflect off a scratch the human eye has a hard time really seeing it. Myth tackled.

MYTH #3: Matte paint is just regular paint without a clear coat.
Absolutely not. In rare cases, maybe your aftermarket matte paint job has no clear coat, but if you get it from the factory it definitely will. In fact, it’s actually the clear coat that makes factory matte paint look flat with its microscopic imperfections and “dimples” (read more). If you got your car or motorcycle painted matte in a booth by a third-party, I recommend making sure they put on a matte clear coat over the pigment layer of paint. Without a clear coat your messing with fire.

MYTH #4: Dish soap is safe to use on matte paint.
Dish soap is formulated to do one thing (unless you use that brand that moisturizes your hands), and that thing is to strip grease and grime off of hard surfaces (ie. plates, glass, etc.). As you now know, you can most certainly protect matte paint – using dish soap to clean the car will weaken the bond of any sealant or substance on the painted surface of your car. So in a sense it may not do damage to the paint, but it’s certainly doing more than just cleaning it. Do yourself (and your matte finish) a favor and get a no-shine matte car wash soap that uses no fillers, no silicone, and won’t strip your matte paint of its layer of protection.

MYTH #5: Matte paint is super fragile and not at all durable.
Ehhh, not quite. Not sure where this one started from, but I guess everybody speculates on exotic items and that they aren’t built to last. Matte paint, if it’s from the manufacturer, is absolutely designed to last the entire life of the car. Going back to Myth #3, that’s why we put clear coat on our cars – longterm protection for the pigment layer of paint. Because most matte paint does in fact use a clear coat layer, the only thing you have to worry about is protecting that clear coat layer with a matte paint sealant.

MYTH #6: The dealership will know what to do.
If only I had a dime for every instance I’ve heard this one. Trust me, dealerships are good for just about one thing: selling you a car… and most of them are terrible at doing that. They did not manufacture your car, they are not related to the development company who created the paint, and they definitely don’t read the entire manual before telling you how many miles your car should go without an oil change. Leave the paint care to professionals who understand the science behind matte paint and not those who only get paid if and when you purchase the car from them. Face it, most dealerships are trained rigorously to learn how to say say, “yes” no matter the customer’s question. Think about it… does this model have ABS? “Yes, for an extra $3,200.” You get my point.

Anyway, when all is said and done, if you’re lucky enough to own a matte car… it needs specific attention. There are things you should know and things you should avoid. There are secrets and tips, and believe me there are a whole bunch of knuckle heads online who’ll take any theory that pops in their head and post it to a forum as advice. The bottom line is trust the experts – that’s why we’re here. Whether you drive a 2004 Subaru WRX or a matte C63 AMG, we can help… just email [email protected], comment below, or ask us on facebook to get your answers straightened out once and for all.

Matte FAQ

Why can’t I wax/polish my matte car?
What makes matte paint appear flat is its unique texture that scatters light rather than reflecting it specularly (like a mirror or glossy car). Wax fills this dimpled texture, which would gradually add a shine to your flat paint. If you polish, you’re essentially smoothing these minor imperfections that give you the matte effect http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/05/ ... ishes/Does matte paint have a clear coat?
It depends. Typically, yes, however since a significant majority of matte cars are aftermarket, it’s tough to say. All factory matte paint finishes such as Designo Magno by Mercedes, Frozen by BMW, and other options from manufactures such as Hyundai, Lamborghini, Audi, Ferrari, and Rolls Royce will have clear coated matte finishes.

What should flat paint be washed with?

Matte Body Wash is formulated to even the natural sheen of flat paint without adding gloss. There are no silicones, fillers, or waxes. Do not use degreasers or dish soaps, as these are designed to strip things from the surface - meaning you'll lose any protection you've applied.

Can the same products be used on matte wraps?

Absolutely. All of our matte car care products are designed to provide excellent results on wraps, factory, and even aftermarket matte paint finishes.

Will my matte finish get swirl marks?

Due to matte paint’s unique ability to diffuse light, swirl marks and holograms are visibly nonexistent on matte paint. Additionally, swirl marks are caused by a machine (buffer, car wash, etc.) - something you should never put near matte paint. Matte paint is actually much more durable and long lasting than glossy paint for this very reason. You don't need to constantly polish, buff, worry about scratches, etc. with a matte car.

Can I take my matte car to the car wash?

Although washing yourself is the absolute best way to care for your matte finish, you can go to a reputable hand car wash and they shouldn’t have an issue using Matte Body Wash (if you or they have it on hand). Unfortunately, some car washes won’t have matte car wash soaps available for washing, so make sure to check beforehand. At the same time, never ever take your matte car to an automatic car wash - even if it says "touchless" or "touch less." These washes use highly caustic chemicals that strip protective sealants and are terrible for your clear coat or wrap.

What happens if I get a scratch?

If you get a scratch on your matte car, you will need touch up paint. Most manufacturers can provide this at very little cost. Since you cannot polish the paint, the best way to avoid scratches is to protect the car and keep it protected at all times using Matte Paint Sealant.

How often should I protect my matte finish?

Matte Paint Sealant lasts 6-9 months depending on weather conditions and driving habits. You should be able to protect twice a year and be fine. If, however, you wash frequently or live in climates with wacky weather, you may want to reapply once every 4 months or so. Again, it’s a sliding scale and really depends how well you maintain the finish between applications.

Will bird droppings ruin the finish?

They shouldn’t. Like any contaminant, bird droppings should be removed as soon as possible with Matte Final Finish. Where you run into issues is when these substances are allowed to dry and cake on the surface for an extended amount of time.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
That's a great find Smiler and worth making into a Sticky for all Asphalt owners
What is a sticky? You have mentioned them previously. How does one access a sticky? etc

RCZ1

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
RCZ1 said:
That's a great find Smiler and worth making into a Sticky for all Asphalt owners
What is a sticky? You have mentioned them previously. How does one access a sticky? etc

A Sticky is an informative post that members will find useful and may refer back to again and again. It also means that the thread stays at the top of the relevant section, rather than getting lost within all the other threads within a section. It also has a little icon like an exclamation mark next to it, to show it is informative.

Smiler

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
Just released over here by chemical guys a specially formulated shampoo for owners of cars with matte finish paint. Thought it may be of interest to all you Asphalt owners:

http://www.chemicalguysuk.com//ProductD ... Code=MATTE
Thanks for the info :thumbup: i couldn't find anyone who stocked this last month ;)
Im just sampling the Dr Beasleys range from there new UK stockist http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/dr-beasleys-32-c.asp
Results are great so far :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
Excuse my ignorance but can you specify a matt finish on a new RCZ?

cheers

Goid

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks K for the info.

Not sure it would be shiny enough for me anyway!

cheers

Goid :geek:

DaveD

Reaction score
Hi All

Having been interrogating various avenues for information on what to wash my Asphalt with, finding products that are no longer available and getting a "we don't know" reply from Peugeot UK Customer Service, I emailed Auto Glym and received the below reply:

Matte paints naturally have a low sheen as they are formulated to diffract incident light and therefore reduce the amount of light reflected.

This is done by making the surface uneven so that light isn’t reflected back like it would be on a smooth glossy surface.

Aqua Wax is developed to enhance the depth and gloss of painted surfaces with a high gloss finish.

Although this is the case, due to the nature of the matte paint, a protective layer of Aqua Wax can be applied without interfering with the underlying paint effect.

The amount of wax left on the surface will be enough to provide a temporary protective layer but not enough to fill in the “bumpy finish” of a matt surface enough to make it look glossy.

If using the Aqua Wax we would only recommend applying the product 2-3 times a year. For shampoo we would recommend our Pure Shampoo and both products can be found on our website www.autoglym.com

I would welcome any comments from anyone who has used these products on their Aphalt please.

Cheers

David

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Dave what you say is true about the uneven finish of the paintwork, if you have a look under a strong magnifying glass it will look like a saw blade... I use aqua wax each time I wash my cars (every couple of weeks ) great product and finish. But mine is not a Aphalt.... But surely it will work on your RCZ.......
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

DaveD

Reaction score
Thanks Les. "if you have a look under a strong magnifying glass it will look like a saw blade" scary :eek:😆

I'll have a go over the weekend, weather permitting, and report back.

Cheers

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave I would use auto glym shampoo and conditioner, it doesn't foam up much but conditions the paint.
Wash car as normal but don't dry it off when using aqua wax spray on wet car one panel at a time wipe off with one micro cloth and then buff the panel with a soft polishing cloth for best results. Keep ringing out the micro cloth.. Enjoy the smell of banana 🍌 lol 😂.
Hope you don't think 🤔 I am trying to tell you how to suck eggs, but I have been using these products for the past twenty years or so..
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co