What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Car doesn't sound like a 200HP car

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Today I'm very frustrated because my little sister who knows nothing about cars said to me that my new beautiful looking RCZ doesn't sound like a 200HP car. :thumbdown:

My question, now:
How can I easily gain more engine sound. I have already installed a pipercross air filter but sound increase was very low? Are there any simple tricks or do I need a complete new exhaust system?
What about the Rüffer Front Silencer Dummy, does this part fit on the original Peugeot exhaust system?

A

Anonymous

I'm no expert on the RCZ but I've done a fair bit of modding to my XKR, including exhaust mods and performance tuning. Naturally I've started looking at some of the options for the RCZ and as above I'd agree there are lots of nice looking options on RCZPerformance's site! Personally I love the look of the Ruffer system AND you get a small power increase too (I'll be going down that route once my warranty expires), but there's a fair few bits to it to do the whole system (if you want, you could just do the back box to start with and add to it later) and it ain't cheap!! BUT just listen to the video clip on RCZ Performance's site - a nice growl! http://www.rczperformance.com/Exhaust.h ... er_Exhaust

TBH they all look pretty decent though... I have the Zunsport at the mo as I'm still in warranty, which looks great, but gives no real sound increase (perhaps a little).

Alternatively you could get a decent exhaust fabricator to build you a straight through pipe to eliminate the rear silencer as a starter for ten. That would give you some more sound, but I'm not sure how much, perhaps someone on the forum has gone down this route?!... You also need to make sure they use decent quality metal as there's exhausts and there's EXHAUSTS! Don't know anything about this company, but here's an RCZ example - http://www.yell.com/biz/longlife-exhaus ... l-6853530/

There's also the option of eliminating the front silencer instead/as well as, of course (as per the Ruffer system). Just bear in mind that more sound is great until you're doing a long motorway journey, then it can get a little wearing! (I have removed two levels of silencing on my XKR, just trust me on this!). Another point to ponder is that a professional product like the Ruffer has been R&D'd and tested to eliminate resonance etc whereas there may be tweaking required to a bespoke/fabricated system to get it sounding right and sort any issues. An aftermarket system (like the Ruffer) should also have been balanced, to ensure correct back-pressure (Rufffer quote a pressure reduction to 85% giving them a claimed +5% performance boost) and increased performance (BUT you ain't gonna get mega horsepower from just an exhaust on this engine, no matter how good!). Some points to ponder anyway! :thumbup:

Oh and you could also take a look at the Supersprint website http://www.supersprint.com/ I had one on my 406 V6 Coupe and it was epic and top quality, although it looks like they only do a twin exit variant... (their dyno results indicate a +8 BHP increase for the full system). Again, not a cheap option though!!

A

Anonymous

RCZ S-S said:
Hello,

Today I'm very frustrated because my little sister who knows nothing about cars said to me that my new beautiful looking RCZ doesn't sound like a 200HP car. :thumbdown:

My question, now:
How can I easily gain more engine sound. I have already installed a pipercross air filter but sound increase was very low? Are there any simple tricks or do I need a complete new exhaust system?
What about the Rüffer Front Silencer Dummy, does this part fit on the original Peugeot exhaust system?

Just replace the rear silencer with a smaller unit. For lots of noise, just put a straight pipe. Wont gain power though.

A

Anonymous

RCZ S-S said:
Hello,

My question, now:

Hi :!:

Exhaust like that :!: :?: :mrgreen:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DVX4OrjOTcQ :arrow:

Me too I've no sound whit my THP 155hp :mrgreen: but i think it´s not possible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok i leave :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

:beer:

A

Anonymous

Hello

thanks for the answers.

It seems to me that there is no simple and cheap modification possible to enhance the sound a little bit? :(

A

Anonymous

RCZ S-S said:
Hello

thanks for the answers.

It seems to me that there is no simple and cheap modification possible to enhance the sound a little bit? :(

Scour ebay... I got a full Ruffer system for £200. :beer:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Simple and cheap solutions can be achieved but the end result is just that, and the RCZ does not deserve cheap anything.

We sell all possible solutions (except for a couple of custom or over the top priced ones). If you change the rear box only it will give you a sound change that is noticeable. Changing it along with the middle silencer will provide more sound, changing the crossover pipe and catalyst with those modifications will give you the best results. Eliminating any muffler or catalyst is not recommended, but that does not mean you cannot do it as we have sold several of these items (e.g. front silencer dummy from Ruffer), but these do not come with any approval either to be used on the road.

At the end of the day if you want a great sound from the 1.6l engine you need to invest in a great exhaust system. And remember the exhaust runs a long way underneath the car unlike some of the sport hatchback cars which are a lot shorter than the RCZ, so sound results from those are easier to achieve.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

will I loose the Peugeot warranty by mounting a new exhaust system?
Especially because of the quad systems when I have to modify the plastic rear valance?

A

Anonymous

RCZ S-S said:
Hello,

will I loose the Peugeot warranty by mounting a new exhaust system?
Especially because of the quad systems when I have to modify the plastic rear valance?

Speak to peugeot uk. Peugeot SA said they will void warranty and maintenance plan if i touched the exhaust :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Oh, that's not so good.

You will hear from me in 2 years when my warranty ends........ :thumbdown:

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
RCZ S-S said:
Oh, that's not so good.

You will hear from me in 2 years when my warranty ends........ :thumbdown:

It is always good to take heed of your warranty, but many have changed the exhaust system and other items on their RCZ to their liking in the mean time even with warranty in place. In most cases when it comes to warranty, what has been replaced is what doesn't fall under warranty any more. But YOU must check to see about this for yourself and prepared to get different answers. At the end of the day it is your decision knowing what pros and cons are involved in this.

We look forward to your order whether it be today or years from now.