What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Cam chain tensioner

A

Anonymous

Guest
I have an oil leak from somewhere behind the engine block. I suspect that this is from the cam chain tensioner but cannot see it to confirm.
Before I start removing things, can anyone recommend the best route to gain access and what needs to be removed?
Many thanks in advance!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
My RCZ is in having this done at the moment.

Think its a big job - been in two days so far and its looking like £600 as I'm out of warranty :wtf:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Dean6 said:
My RCZ is in having this done at the moment.

Is that just an oil leak or are you having the chain / tensioner replaced?
The parts diagram shows a seal under the head of the tensioner. This is what I assume is leaking and should be easy to replace if I can get access. I didn't want to start removing stuff from the top only to find that I should have started underneath.
It appears to be a common fault so I thought that someone on this forum would have had a go at fixing it.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Sorry George but most on here me included wouldn't know where to start and if warranty wouldn't even dream of it. Think figo posted a video of what's involved somewhere and it's not as simple as it sound involves total engine striping if I remember correctly
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thanks Bigmac.
Found that post now - don't know why it didn't turn up in my previous search.
Yes, complete replacement is a major strip but it now looks like I can get to the tensioner unit from the top so I will investigate.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mine was for the oil leak and tensioner.

It was a big job - took 3 days and it's still got to go back in to have the software updated. Something about the tolerance reading for the Camshaft / Crankshaft sensors.

£670 in total :shock:
 

neilgsxr69

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 7, 2014
Messages
3,258
Reaction score
754
Points
113
Hi, £670 sounds expensive, my local Peugeot dealer replaced the full timing kit, chain tensioner and guides for £500 and was done in the day! My cars been sound ever since. I think some dealers just pluck a figure out if thin air and then double it!

Hope your cars sorted and you have no more trouble. :beer: :beer:
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ok folks, job done.
Would have been a whole lot easier if I had smaller hands and longer arms.
The tensioner was only finger tight, hence the leak. (Took 67k miles to work loose)
I replaced it with a new one but there is little adjustment left so it looks like a chain replacement soon.
Anyone got a set of locking tools they want to sell?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I had a pretty serious oil leak from the cam chain tensioner in my 2010 RCZ. Took it in for a major service and they replaced the cam chain tensioner and the grommet that was leaking. Cost $570 aussie $$ ($94 for the tensioner and $$476 labour) and an extra hour to the service time.
 
Top