What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Buzzing/vibration in GT 200THP.

A

Anonymous

I've bought my 200THP GT when it was a year old in 2014, and since March this year a noticeable and uncomfortable buzzing/vibration has been felt through the steering wheel, gear stick, driver's foot well, passenger's foot well and pedals whenever the accelerator is pressed - it happens when stationary and when driving. The strength of the buzz when accelerating is nearly as strong as the vibration a mobile phone gives off.

At the beginning of May, the car was in the dealership for a few other problems to be looked at as well as this buzzing and the dealership said 200THPs all do this so drivers can 'feel the car' as they drive, and my car was not buzzing as much as other RCZs. The dealer even offered to contact Peugeot to arrange for a second opinion from another dealer if I wanted. I have no doubt that the dealership believes this is normal because the person that told be used to own an RCZ R and said this happened with their car.

Since then, I have been driving around in the RCZ for the past six weeks telling myself the buzzing is normal, but ... how can it be normal when for the first 18 months it didn't do this (I'm sure I would have noticed if it did!) and my hands feel all tingly, even after a 15 minute ride.

To any other 200THP owners out there - can you feel engine buzz through the floor, pedals, foot wells, gear stick and steering wheel when you press the accelerator? Are 200THPs really meant to behave like this, or should I pursue this further with Peugeot? (although the car has just gone out of warranty, this issue was reported to Peugeot while in warranty)

tianorth

Reaction score
I think there was something to do with engine mountings. If these have or are failing I would have thought the engine vibrations would be transmitted to the chassis/shell.

Have a search on here there have been a few post about this.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My GT200 had the front top strut mountings replaced under a "notice" from Peugeot. At the time, I had no buzzing whatsoever. And I still have no buzzing. :eusa-shhh:

Mine is a 2013 which I have had for 2 years now, it was 11 months old when I got it & it has done 23k now.

I think this is a case of the dealership not having a clue why it's doing it & so tell the owner it's supposed to be like that. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

DKZ5745 said:
My GT200 had the front top strut mountings replaced under a "notice" from Peugeot. At the time, I had no buzzing whatsoever. And I still have no buzzing. :eusa-shhh:

Mine is a 2013 which I have had for 2 years now, it was 11 months old when I got it & it has done 23k now.

I think this is a case of the dealership not having a clue why it's doing it & so tell the owner it's supposed to be like that. :eusa-think:

Funnily enough, they did say it could be a number of reasons causing it, yet also said it was normal - and that was after I told them it didn't used to do it and it only started in March. :eusa-think:

Well, this evening I decided to see if anything else was vibrating and yes - press the accelerator and the seats, the doors, the roof - even the rear window - all vibrate.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The only noise coming from mine before the mounting change was a knocking at low speeds over bumpy ground. As soon as I took it in to be looked at, they said there was a notice from Peugeot to fit new re-designed top mounts to the front struts.

Sorted.

If there is as much vibration as you say, and it continues when the car is stationary, I think Chris might be correct regarding the engine mounts.

There is very little that could cause such buzzing really if you get it when the car isn't moving as well as when it is. The only two things that spring to mind would be engine or transmission related issues. (Engine mounts, clutch, flywheel, gearbox)

If it was a serious issue with most of those, you would notice it in the performance of the car, not just a vibration, so it probably isn't too much to worry about, but clearly something that does need sorting.

I would be tempted to have a drive to a different dealer, but make sure they are aware that you reported this issue before the warranty expired.

Good luck, don't let them fob you off with "they all do that" malarchy, cos they don't. I drove two other second hand Z's before I bought this one & neither of them did it either.

keep us informed how you get on & especially what it turns out to be, it might help someone on here in the future. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I can rule out clutch and flywheel - they replaced both of them at the beginning of May (it only took them 21 months between the time they said they needed replacing and actually replacing them!), but the vibrations started in March so it could well be the engine mounts.

There does seem to have been some fobbing off going on - I'll post any developments, thanks for the advice. :)

A

Anonymous

DKZ5745 said:
The only noise coming from mine before the mounting change was a knocking at low speeds over bumpy ground. As soon as I took it in to be looked at, they said there was a notice from Peugeot to fit new re-designed top mounts to the front struts.
I have noticed the above symptom in mine in the last couple of weeks, so might need to get it looked at. Is there obvious checks I could do at home to check before getting it booked in?

Then again, it also sounds slightly rough for the first couple of minutes (tappet-y, if that makes sense!), so I am concerned it might be the timing chain as well.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The timing chain issue almost always throws up an engine management message, often involving limp mode, but if it hasn't had the modified part fitted, it could well be the very start of this problem. Maybe worth a trip to the dealer and ask if there are any recall/notices that apply to your car (you could then mention the noise & ask their opinion regarding the timing chain tensioner, it is a recognised fault, and for Peugeot to replace it with a modified part certainly implies the original part was not fit for purpose & should therefore be replaced FOC regardless of warranty status)

I don't know if the modified front strut mounts applied to the phase 1, I haven't heard of anyone having it done other than on the phase 2 model.

Let us know if anything is found & what the outcome is.

A

Anonymous

Thanks.

I did ask about the timing chain when I booked it in for a service last month, and the guy checked and said that although there had been a notice, my car wasn't part of that. Maybe they were thinking of the engine mounting one instead.