What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Buzz / rattle on engine shutdown (1.6 petrol)

A

Anonymous

The above noise is coming from the engine bay of my RCZ when I turn the engine off. Only lasts for 3 - 4 seconds. Some overrun of some description? Anybody else get the same noise?

Many thanks.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, could possibly be a loose heat shield, try listening with the bonnet up and let someone rev the engine then turn off while you listen to see where the noise is coming from.
Good luck hope it's nothing to worry about. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

rcz200it said:
Seems like another mk1 156 thp time chain to me..

Thought if it was that, the noise occurred when switching the engine on? Particularly if engine was cold?

A

Anonymous

I've roughly narrowed it down location wise to between the engine & the bulkhead & approximately between the centre & drivers side. Can't see anything moving & it doesn't happen every time the engine is switched off. Long shot, but does that narrow it down for anyone?

A

Anonymous

None of the above, but thanks for those suggestions.

Took the car into my local Peugeot dealer for a recall engine management software upgrade, & asked them to look at it.

They said it was something to do with the ecu & was perfectly normal!

I remain unconvinced. Any chance that somebody with a 156 petrol engined car could have a listen to theirs when turning the engine off please? :helpme:

Immediate silence or a buzzing noise for a few seconds? (Nb; I can't hear my noise unless the car doors or windows are open)

Many thanks. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
Any chance you can record the noise?
Save it to somewhere like onedrive or similar, then share link on here.
Is noise there when car is ticking over with bonnet open?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I shall try to record it. Doesn't happen when the engine is running though - just after the ignition is switched off. Positive it's not the engine itself.

A

Anonymous

Petrol engine the turbo is watercooled ad oil cooled. If the turbo is hot when the engine is switched off, the pump will work for few seconds to make sure the hot oil don't damage the turbo. Same with my 1.8 FSI. Sounds weird, but if it's what I'm thinking, that's the explanation.

A

Anonymous

So, I've been into my local Peugeot dealer & have been assured the noise is nothing to be concerned about.

Apparently it is the turbo solenoid control valve making the noise, but it is not effecting performance & is not going to break. This noise can happen after a while so the mechanic said (mine is a 2010 model with 55k on the clock). He was also an RCZ driver & was telling me about the engines mods he did on his car, so it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

A

Anonymous

So, solenoid replaced by my local (known for years) independent garage &............

Bugger all difference. Well done Peugeot dealer mechanic - wrong diagnosis you donut & now I've spent £160...

Rec20-06-2017@20/30/59.caf

I've just taken a recording of the noise from my iPhone, a copied & pasted the file to this note. No idea if that'll work, so I'll hit submit & see what happens!

A

Anonymous

That didn't work & I can't attach a caf file to a post it seems. Double grrrr!

A

Anonymous

Anybody know how I can put an MP3 on a post? Unable to do via an attachment....

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Yah that works.
Sounds a bit odd doesn't it. Not sure if mine does that. Haven't really listened though when turning it off.
I was more concerned with the cold start noises.