What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

burning oil?

A

Anonymous

hi
I am surprised that my rcz 200thp(asphalt) is getting through as much oil as it is
i filled up the oil to the top of the dipstick when i first got it in March and have now done almost 2000 miles
When i dipped it yesterday , its about half way down on the dipstick

is this normal, or should i be worried
there is no evidence of any oil leaks anywhere btw

A

Anonymous

Hi - mine is exactly the same...

I have to top mine up every 2 -3 weeks. No signs of any leaks etc. Never had a car use so much oil before??

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Paul, I believe this is quite common.
I don't do that many miles but I do top up quite regular. :thumbup:

tianorth

Reaction score
It might be finding it's own level.
Keep an eye on it.
The coolant in my RCZ-R is happy just above minimum if I put any more in it just gets rid of the excess, obviously don't let it go below minimum.

RCZash

Reaction score
Hi
Never put any oil in mine, between services.

A

Anonymous

thanks to everybody who responded
seems to be hit or miss whether your engine burns a lot of oil or not
will certainly keep a close eye on it now i am aware of it

cheers
paul

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have found this car to use the most oil of any car I have owned. That said, it is not excessive, as Chris said, you just need to monitor the level, and keep it topped up.

I wasn't aware of this when I bought the car, and assumed that I didn't need to look at anything in particular under the bonnet as I was having it serviced annually under a service agreement, and having free safety checks in between, again under the agreement.

I had a low oil warning on the dash. PANICK :eek: :helpme:

When I checked, the dipstick was below minimum (when I eventually could find a level in the ridiculous dipstick). So I topped it up, it took a day or so for the warning to go, but all fine since. I top it up every now & then, not really recorded amounts needed, just accepted that the Prince engine is a bit of an oil user.

Just keep an eye out for oil patches on the ground, oil on the engine, or black smoke from the exhaust. If this is not happening I think you just have normal usage.

Sanity

Reaction score
You can try another manufacturer. some oils suits certain engines some don't.
I'd say that as long as the engines pulls and performs normal there is no worrying even if it consumes some oil.
I use some castrol type and I top up oil (0,5-1litre) between a service. When I first bought the car I had the top up message almost imidiatly. Dont know what oil the owner before used but the car didnt seem to like it.

A

Anonymous

I realise this is an old thread, but thought I'd add to it. My wife has owned a 156 for over a year now, on a 64 plate & covered around 37k now. Using oil at a rate of around 1/2 a litre per 1800 miles covered. No leaks from what I can see. I topped it up twice last year. 1800 miles on from its last service, its lost half a litre. Its the highest oil consumption I've known from a modern/newish car. I'm monitoring it more closely now.

tianorth

Reaction score
High consumption is 1 litre to 500 miles I think.

But it is normal for some of these engine to use oil and/or coolant.

A

Anonymous

Short journeys usually use more oil than long ones so if most of your trips are short then thats why you have a higher than average consumption.

A

Anonymous

tony1968 said:
Short journeys usually use more oil than long ones so if most of your trips are short then thats why you have a higher than average consumption.
No the shortest trip is usually around 20 miles. From a bit of research I've done, its common for these engines to use oil under any journey. Very rarely thrashed, unless I get my hands on it. Although I clean & wash it on a regular basis, alongside my 165 oil burning Astra.

A

Anonymous

tianorth said:
High consumption is 1 litre to 500 miles I think.

But it is normal for some of these engine to use oil and/or coolant.
It uses very little water/coolant.
From what I've now learnt oil consumption is not uncommon with these engines. Obviously more than one manufacturer use them. Including cooper s engines. Just spoke to a guy who owns a 200bhp rcz, yes his car uses oil too. Ours has from when we bought it at 27k. Annoying but true for a modern engine.
1 litre = 500 miles, it'll be doing the long jump lol.

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
Just jumping on the end of this (mainly as I wasn't sure where to put it!) but my 2011 156 GT Z loves oil... as in DRINKS it!

No sign of leaks but I have just put in the last of 6L bought 17th July 2019... just shy of 8 months!! I average 7500 miles a year and most of my runs are 10-30 miles. Saying that, I can drive 3-4 hours away for a weekend break and it still slurps up the oil!

Any ideas? Is this excessive even for a car known to be heavy on the oil?

Thanks all x

Pedro

Reaction score
The Prince engines fitted to the RCZ s have an oil consumption of around 1ltr every 5000 klm which is considered normal but some engines consume more some consume less this is considered usual in direct injection petrol engines also oil is lost through the piston rings & valve seals leaking into the intake which usually means if you fix one without the other you end up still losing oil
The other thing that is recommended is if your engine is consuming a lot of oil don't keep topping up carry out a complete oil change then check/monitor the consumption to see if there are other factors involved as the oil degrades fairly rapidly in these engines also they absolutely must have the correct oil as they love some but hate others & the usual type used is around 5w30 or thicker for warm or hotter climates & 0w30 for colder countries if the consumption is around 1ltr per 1000klm then compression tests are normally carried out which could result in new valve seals & piston rings which unfortunately could mean major overhaul but Oil is they key factor in prolonging the Prince engines life & as for service schedules I never take any notice my oil & filter is dropped out around 3500-4000 mls that way I know its a clean engine

Anonymous

Reaction score
2021 and I’m adding to this thread! My Rcz oil consumption is ridiculous! I’m topping up approx every 3 months. I was told I had a leak on the sump pan, which I can’t find any garage that can fix it!!!

I had a Peugeot 307 cc before this for 5 years and didn’t even think about the oil inbetween services. But with this car I hate getting in and the dreaded “oil” light flashing at me. I wouldn’t mind but the dip stick is a NIGHTMARE to read! It’s reassuring that this is a common issue.

Nemi

Reaction score
I top up once every month (or around every 1000-2000 km) :rolleyes:

Pedro

Reaction score
The Norm? is around 1 ltr every 5000 Klm
Accounting for high mileage wear & tear poorly maintained engines with lack of oil services+ leaking valve seals heavy carbon build up worn piston rings & chambers it all adds up to excessive oil usage

Rczwales77

Reaction score
2021 and I’m adding to this thread! My Rcz oil consumption is ridiculous! I’m topping up approx every 3 months. I was told I had a leak on the sump pan, which I can’t find any garage that can fix it!!!

I had a Peugeot 307 cc before this for 5 years and didn’t even think about the oil inbetween services. But with this car I hate getting in and the dreaded “oil” light flashing at me. I wouldn’t mind but the dip stick is a NIGHTMARE to read! It’s reassuring that this is a common issue.
Hi mate, done my leaking oil pan 3 months ago, dry as a bone underneath now, have topped up say about 700ml in that time, before I topped up 2 litres in 2 months due to the sump leak, better now but these engines are known to like a bit of oil, some worse than others I just check my z every other week or so, don't know if my seals are bad or not but I'll change my oil every 6 months from now on and see how it goes it does linger in the back of my mind but just enjoy the car and check your oil level regularly 👍👍

nibble36

Reaction score
We bought a RCZ in December 2022 and I have had to top it up in jan Feb and yesterday 27march
I had to put 1.5lt in
Just rang the garage we had it from (Peugeot main dealer )
It’s book in to have a look , he said they do use a bit of oil , but to me 1.5 lt oil in a mth with only 50k on the clock not right