What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Broken wheel valve on GTi

renegade79

Reaction score
The tyre valves on my GTi are all steel making it very difficult to unscrew them to check tyre pressures. Also the valves itself are so close to the wheel that it’s hard to get a good enough grip to turn them.
Anyway I had trouble getting one off and I ever so gently tried to twist one off with pliers and the dust cap and top of valve came off in one swoop. Are these things made of cheese or what?
Anyway the GTi has tpms so I’m just wondering if I’m in for a big bill to get it fixed or what? Any ideas?

renegade79

Reaction score
I’ll post a photo later - photobucket is not behaving itself right now!

renegade79

Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_7106.JPG
    IMG_7106.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 13,888
  • IMG_7104.JPG
    IMG_7104.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 13,888

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I had 2 go on a 407, most unimpressed.
They got junked for rubber ones.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

renegade79

Reaction score
I just wonder will this be covered under warranty? Corroded tyre valves shouldn’t be happening on a 1 and half year old car! :eusa-think:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Renegade79

All I can say is that, I've had similar trouble and have stopped using the metal caps.

With so many of these caps made in China regardless of what they say, stainless steel, nickel etc, they are nearly all made from tin and the valve ends are usually brass. Once oxidation occurs, they then "weld" to the cap, making it near impossible to unscrew. Best spec to use some form of coppergaurd or other greasing agent.

As for Peugeot Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, Peugeot says that they expect the batteries in the valve to last 5 years, then they need replacing ( the whole valve - not the battery it's not replaceable ).

I have seen full sets of four for the 407 / 507 / 508 etc for less than £20 ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-Tyre ... SwoudW7qps

Probably a similar kit for the RCZ, like this one upto 2013 ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement- ... SwLs5XKftb

and this one for 2013 - 2016 ;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement- ... SwWxNYozeD

Hope this helps bud !

Cheers

Plecodoras

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
I just wonder will this be covered under warranty? Corroded tyre valves shouldn’t be happening on a 1 and half year old car! :eusa-think:

Worth a try, but if you put the after market tin tops on, bet they say Non !!

:beer:

2retro

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Renegade79

All I can say is that, I've had similar trouble and have stopped using the metal caps.

With so many of these caps made in China regardless of what they say, stainless steel, nickel etc, they are nearly all made from tin and the valve ends are usually brass. Once oxidation occurs, they then "weld" to the cap, making it near impossible to unscrew. Best spec to use some form of coppergaurd or other greasing agent.
You're right there. I had the same problem on one of my old motors that involved pliers and a lot of swearing to get them off - the metal valve caps just rust themselves on. That's why new cars come with the plastic ones on.

After that unfortunate experience I always put a blob of Vaseline inside my replacement metal caps when they go on so that I know I'll be able to get the buggers off again later!

None of this helps your present situation though, unfortunately. :(

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I stopped using them for exactly the same reason. Settled for the black plastic caps. If the caps were fitted from new, they should be liable if they caused the damage. This is a known issue with metal caps.

It has to be worth asking in any case. :eusa-think:

renegade79

Reaction score
I’m gonna make an enquiry with Peugeot HQ and see will they cover the work. I’ll revert back when I know more or if I need part numbers :eusa-whistle:

renegade79

Reaction score
Just been to the dealer. They won’t cover this as warranty work which I suspected but the good news is that they are able to just replace the valve only which is €15 ex VAT and before labour which is a relief because I was éxpecting a much larger bill.
Anyways, a word to the wise, don’t use metal dust caps on your tyre valves because they just get rusty and then the caps won’t come off!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
A touch of copper grease and you won’t have any more problems with metal or alloy dust caps ever again! :thumbup: