What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Bonnet explosive pistons

jg43210

Reaction score
A friend of mine was told by U.K. Peugeot HQ today that they have stopped manufacturing the explosive bonnet pistons for the RCZ. His RCZ has been written off as a result (and it was a minor accident). I’m astonished. I thought that there was a minimum time that car companies were supposed to manufacture or supply parts for after release? Are there other parts in a similar position? Welcome any insights from the collective brains of the group!

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Guess I'm off to the scrappy and buying all the bonnet poppers I can get.

Can't you just bypass them or is it a case of, it was fitted so you have to keep it to the original state?

Seems a shame to scrap a car on such a tiny thing.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There has been talk about the cost of a replacement rear screen at over £3000 which essentially could write a car off as uneconomical to repair! :eusa-think:

If it’s true about the bonnet charges then the breakers yards are going to make a small fortune. But maybe there’s a way of tricking the ecu into thinking they’re there and operable???

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure there must be some clever bod somewhere who could write them out of the ecu.
Writing off vehicles that have suffered minor damage because of the cost/availability of these items is stupid.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Would deactivating them void the MOT?
And in case of an accident and the subsequent analysis of the car and its electronics any claims towards car insurance would be rejected.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't see how really. I only know of one other car with it, the new Insignia.
So surely you're relying on the MOT inspector knowing that the car has the system. How would he test it? Does he need to test it?
If a light is on then yes that would probably mean a fail, but otherwise I'm not sure how anyone would know.
Anyway, if you're that way inclined I'm sure there would be a way to avoid them being checked. Like the old child seat fitted to stop the tester discovering you have a buggered seat belt trick.

No one I spoke to knew my RCZ had it, I had usually had to explain that's why it has large frontal panel gaps. Not because it had been crashed.

With regards an insurance claim, maybe if you smacked a pedestrian but in a normal shunt it's not designed to deploy so shouldn't be an issue.

2retro

Reaction score
Life motto: Never rub another man's rhubarb.

:eusa-think:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
How small were you as a kid ???

For the record I love rhubarb, especially in a crumble, BUT I DON'T like another man's rhubarb !!!!!!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I’ve been to the annual Rhubarb festival in Wakefield today. But I have to confess, the only Rhubarb I consumed was Rhubarb Gin (& tonic). :thumbup:

2retro

Reaction score
I've started something here...! :lol:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Luverly juicy centre with crusty top.
Now for a bit of nostalgia (here he goes!) related to rhubarb.
When I were knee high to a grasshopper, many traders used horse and cart to deliver or ply their services.
Notable was the coalman, rag and bone man, greengrocer, baker and of course the daily milkman.
OK, so where are we going with this to get to rhubarb.
Well, not that I am an expert, but apparently the best was grown , when encouraged with a bucket of manure.
Keen gardeners laid in wait for a horse and cart to clip clop down the road, waiting for the rich aroma of a steaming pile of you-know-what.
Not sure it ever came to blows (sh1t rage!), but there was often a bit of a scramble to get there first and shovel it up.
Straight off to the rhubarb, or some said roses liked it, to either apply while fresh, or some would mix it with compost and let it rot down before digging it in.
Little did I know that in my dotage I would be running a small (very) farm with olives, grapes and vines, with no manure needed; but as it happens, at this very moment there are four twenty five kilo sacks of general purpose fertilizer granules, waiting to be put round every tree; just waiting for rain to be forecast so as to get it down before it can be dissolved and into the soil.