What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Battery charge or electrical supply faulty

Dazm70

Reaction score
Hi all would like to say hello to everyone and it’s a pleasure to join the forum.
bought a 1.6 rcz gt yesterday on a 61 plate quite high mileage but new timing chain and full service history. Had it dropped off only to find when I got in to have a play as soon as the engine started I had the above message appear for a second then go off. It then appeared again a few seconds later. But again went off leaving a ! In the small screen between the clocks. It has had a new alternator belt fitted so I’m going to check volts with multimeter but any suggestions would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
There have been a few reports lately from owners who have had this issue which has totally immobilised the car and it has been this power control unit that has failed and only a Peugeot dealer part and quite costly.
But hopefully you will only need the bsi reset.AC00427F-4E21-4AB4-8966-8A839D1F8B8F.jpeg

Dazm70

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I’m wondering if my problem is the battery as the engine seems slowish turning over when starting and also the eco power mode ie when the ignition is off and radio on it turns itself off after about 5 to 10 mins when the manual states it should stay on for 30 mins unless the battery is low.
mid I turn the ignition on to but don’t actual crank it then no fault appears. It only happens when I actually start the car. The resting reading on the battery is 12.4 v so according to what have read it should be 12.6 +. Would be grateful of any comments and opinions.
thanks again

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My eco mode has always cut in after 5-10 minutes. I don’t know of anyone who has a Z that gets 30 minutes after switching the ignition off. So don’t let that sway you into thinking your battery is failing.
however, that battery on the Z was designed to last @ 5 years so if yours is older than that it could be on its way out. Mine is now just over 5 years old. It has always fired the instant I turn the ignition, but since I had a full new set of coil packs & plugs it turns a couple of times before firing up, so I am hoping it’s just the new parts, and not the battery age.

Dazm70

Reaction score
Thanks for that and that’s good know about the eco. I bought this from a dealer and looking at dates on receipts and mot etc I’ve a feeling it’s been stood for a couple of months so if the battery has been dead for a while I think it’s probably that but the dealer isn’t answering my calls or texts at the moment which is terrible after care. The battery looks like it’s probably the original or been on some time so think I will nip it to the garage and get the battery tested properly.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
A drop test should very quickly tell you if it has any faulty cells.

There are many weird and wonderful issues attributed to a dying battery on the RCZ. If you have a search through the threads you will see what I mean. Many faults that you wouldn’t even think could be due to the battery have been cured by a new one.

I suppose with the cost of labour nowadays, a replacement battery is a relatively cheap first step to trying to sort out your issues, and of course you will know at least the battery will be good for the foreseeable future, never a bad thing, especially in cold weather. Just an added expense though if it proves to not be the fault. 🤔

Dazm70

Reaction score
A drop test should very quickly tell you if it has any faulty cells.

There are many weird and wonderful issues attributed to a dying battery on the RCZ. If you have a search through the threads you will see what I mean. Many faults that you wouldn’t even think could be due to the battery have been cured by a new one.

I suppose with the cost of labour nowadays, a replacement battery is a relatively cheap first step to trying to sort out your issues, and of course you will know at least the battery will be good for the foreseeable future, never a bad thing, especially in cold weather. Just an added expense though if it proves to not be the fault. 🤔
Just had it in garage had a new good battery fitted and battery management checked amongst other things. On the electric test it came up with the following codes. He tried to reset the bsi via the handheld diagnostic machine but it wouldn’t do it. I will put a pic of the fault codes on. As ever thanks in advance for any info you can send me.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sadly I don’t have a code reader, so I have no information relating to the codes, but I know there are several members on here that do, so hopefully one will come along soon and after further advice.

in the meantime, if you want to do a bsi reset yourself, here is the procedure :-

Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
remove key open & close door test central locking system
Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

you might need someone with a code reader to reset your fault message, I don’t know if the bsi reset will do that.

Dazm70

Reaction score
Sadly I don’t have a code reader, so I have no information relating to the codes, but I know there are several members on here that do, so hopefully one will come along soon and after further advice.

in the meantime, if you want to do a bsi reset yourself, here is the procedure :-

Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
remove key open & close door test central locking system
Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

you might need someone with a code reader to reset your fault message, I don’t know if the bsi reset will do that.
Thank you very much for that. I will deffo give that a try tomorrow.
what baffles me is apart from that warning message and the red battery on initial start up everything else works perfectly with no issues whatsoever and the message never returns until the next start up

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Noticed your from Wakefield, if you trace it to the battery module that I photographed I have one as a spare if you wanted to try it I’m over in Pontefract

Dazm70

Reaction score
Noticed your from Wakefield, if you trace it to the battery module that I photographed I have one as a spare if you wanted to try it I’m over in Pontefract
Wow that would be brilliant. I will do some further checks tomorrow and definitely take you up on that offer. Just cannot believe how the first rcz we get we

Dazm70

Reaction score
I have this evening done a full bsi reset as per instructions but the same message comes on when the car has started. It then goes off and never returns until the car is started again. Driving me insane as only had the car since Saturday and sits on drive as my misus is scared of taking it out in case it breaks down. I’ve had it out a few times and everything works perfect. Just don’t get it and carnt seem to find any info on the fault code

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If you post the fault code on here there are a few members that might be able to shed some light on it. If you know someone with a reader, they can usually re-set the fault (possibly - I don’t have one so I don’t understand what they can or can’t do). Maybe if the code was re-set it wouldn’t come back again?
btw I didn’t realise you were in Wakefield. My car spends more time at Trinity Walk top car park than it does on my drive. My step-daughter is the manager of Cafe Nero there.

Dazm70

Reaction score
Oops, just realised you already posted them 🙃.
Haha yeah it’s only 10 mins from me.
jad the car in the garage yesterday, he fit me a good quality battery and then plugged it in and checked the battery management amongst other things. The code just would not clear at all. I’m struggling to find anything about this code online. Wondered if anyone on the z forum may have come across it before. It’s 056B

Dazm70

Reaction score
Good morning. I’m still no further forward with this and the dealer is refusing to help apart from saying I will receive a 3rd party warranty in the post at the end of next week. I’m sure the warranty won’t even cover this fault. Does anyone know of anyone who actually had the full Peugeot software who can do a scan and possibly narrow this down for me. Thanks in advance
Daz

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I can’t actually believe I’m saying this, but, you could always try a main dealer 😱

problem is, yours is Evans Halshaw Wakefield, who I have had many happy (actually unhappy) dealings with. And I happen to know they want £75 just to look at your car (no really, I think they would charge you if you drove past the dealership if they thought they would get away with it).
so it’s £75 diagnostic - non refundable whether they find anything or not, but as they are actually supposed to be Peugeot main dealers, and as your car is a Peugeot & displaying a fault code, then they really should be able to find something at least.

worth a last resort try I suppose if you can’t get anywhere else to sort it 🤔

Last edited:

Dazm70

Reaction score
Thanks and I know what your saying I did ring them on Wednesday and was basically told by a tech that they would do a scan but it would prob come up with same code I have so then they would have to keep digging and charging me. He said it’s not gonna be cheap and don’t know how long it would be there. Tbh that was enough to scar me to death lol