What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Aux / USB Upgrade

Legin76

Reaction score
I've just got an RCZ and realised quickly that the USB is pretty useless for charging my modern phone. With the sat nav on, it didn't appear to charge it. It just maintained roughly the same level for an hour. Obviously, I can use a USB adaptor for the cigarette lighter socket but is it possible to upgrade the Aux / USB socket to one that can output a higher ampage? I'm guessing there are more powerful versions from newer peeugeots that might be compatible. If so, should I be looking for?

lfe

Reaction score
The same thing will happen to you if you charge the mobile in a USB port of a computer, they give exactly 5V and the charge is slower, if it gave more voltage it would spoil the USB memories, or whatever is plugged in there

On the other hand, the chargers give more than 5V and that is why they charge faster.

Legin76

Reaction score
Thanks, but that's not quite the case. Most USB's are 5v but some have a higher ampage, which charges much faster. For example the original iPhone chargers were 5v and 0.5A. More modern USB chargers are still 5v but go up to 2.4A for standard output or 3A for QC3 chargers (although QC3 and do a higher voltage too). USB-C on the other hand can do much higher voltages.

I'm assuming current port is 0.5A or less and hoping newer ones may be higher. Although I don't know if there is a way to find out what the output is.

At the end of the day I can always get something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/AINOPE-Charger-Adaptor-Charging-Macbook/dp/B07KTW6ZYQ/