What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Auto spoiler

A

Anonymous

I understand the rear spoiler works on auto at certain speeds 53mph and around 90ish mph. The button near the handbrake is in the position with the light off, but the spoiler doesn't lift. Is there a quick fix or is it off to the dealer? Tasomuch :thumbup:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Are you sure it doesn't lift? At the first stage lift, you won't be able to see it in you mirror &, obviously, second stage lift is not achievable at legal UK road speeds, so you shouldn't see that through the rear view mirror either.

Does it lift if you press the button (orange light illuminated)? This will take it up to second stage, I believe.

Best bet is to get someone to follow you down the motorway and visually confirm it comes up to first stage. So far as I know, there isn't a big history of spoiler issues.

A

Anonymous

Yes, it works when the light is on (manually) and I can see it move up and down through the rear mirror, I'll try and sit in the back next time the Mrs and me go out and watch for it lifting

pete.garratt

Reaction score
OK, so there's nothing wrong with the motor, it's electrical supply or the mechanism (otherwise it wouldn't lift at all) & the manual button operates it as expected.

So the only thing that could be wrong is the speed detection/activation function. However, I strongly suspect you'll find it's working when you can observe it but it'll be good to hear the results of your experiment. - Let us know what happens.

A

Anonymous

It is possible to see the spoiler rise and fall when you drive. Choose a nice long straight road, make sure the sun is shining directly on the passenger side. You should see the shadow of the spoiler out of the drivers side window.

A

Anonymous

A super easy legal way to check it works. Use button to raise spoiler on your driveway. Put piece of tissue paper under spoiler and use button to close. Go drive above 55.go home and raise spoiler. No tissue means no problems.

A

Anonymous

I have the same problem wondering if the light in the fridge goes out when i close the door.

A

Anonymous

wrapper said:
I have the same problem wondering if the light in the fridge goes out when i close the door.

I wonder more if a bear farts in the woods and no one is there, does it still make a sound.

A

Anonymous

Tbh I've also never see the spoiler working on auto. I've even took it to +160km/h and still didn't saw anything.
In manual, works perfectly...

A

Anonymous

The spoiler is there, I assume, to counter rear axle lift. If it's not working its no guarantee you'll have an accident. But it surely increases the risk in high speed bends so if you consider its not working get it sorted or leave it raised if it bothers you. I've noticed on mine the trigger speed is fairly loose; creep to the trigger speed and it doesn't deploy, race past and it does. But it always deploys eventually.

A

Anonymous

Wasn't sure if mine was working but I tested it today and it works on auto. Don't know about the first stage but according to the digital mph read out the second stage came up at 101mph and dropped back down at 89 mph.

A

Anonymous

Bryanf said:
Wasn't sure if mine was working but I tested it today and it works on auto. Don't know about the first stage but according to the digital mph read out the second stage came up at 101mph and dropped back down at 89 mph.

101mph seems rather high. It's normally around the 97/98 mark

A

Anonymous

I know on the TT it was more or less a safety recall.Cars spinning off the road and stuff. Not sure if it is so important on the nicer shape of the RCZ? If most of us stop posting i guess i am wrong.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Bryanf said:

101mph seems rather high. It's normally around the 97/98 mark

Yes but you also have to allow for discrepancies in the speedometer Ron. As the speed increases these discrepancies become more significant.

A

Anonymous

Mine triggers at slightly different speeds (digital readout). Like I said before you can nudge 100 and it not be there if you creep up slowly but increase speed more quickly and it pops up sooner. Would be interested to see the software logic diagram for its operation.

As for whether the car needs it as much as a țt or boxer well, I can't think of any reason to spend time and money to design the thing, increased cost in manufacture and more things to go wrong if there wasnt a real need for it.

Or perhaps Peugeot just wanted to build a male car that visually got more excited the faster it went!!!

A

Anonymous

comes up at about 50mph and drops back down at 30 mph.

at 90mph it goes to stage 2 high level. and at about 115 ish it will drop down completely to stop the front of the car lifting. the wonders of aero design