What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Auto-dip wing mirror stuck in dipped position

A

Anonymous

My 2010 RCZ 156 GT developed a problem with the wing mirror auto-dip function (when working correctly it should dip to show the curb when reversing and rise automatically a few seconds after reverse is disengaged or if the wing mirror switch is flicked to the mid position).

The drivers side wing mirror dips to the curb when I engage reverse, but it then won't rise automatically. It stays dipped unless I move it back to the risen position using the adjustment buttons on the doorcard.

It's in with my local main dealer at the moment and they've called to say the £70 (30min) diagnostic hasn't been able to find tha fault. They want to spend another hour on diagnosis (at a cost of £125)! As with all diagnostics, theres no guarantee they'll find the fault and I'm concerned this will get costly (more costly)!

Has anyone had this issue before?
If so, how was it resolved?

Mark

A

Anonymous

The dealership's solution is a new wing mirror. Sprayed & fitted that will be £650!

They recommend having the other one changed too as that seems top suffer the same problem to a lesser degree (according to their diagnostics). So that will be £1300 in total!

I think I'll pass & try a bit of WD40!

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, sounds like their taking the pi**!!!
I'm sure I'd just alter the mirrors via the switches than replacing the whole units!
Some dealers just try it on! :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Just live with the fault you mean?

I'm not happy to just leave it.

There must be a way of repairing whatever is faulty without replacing the whole unit. Feels like I'm being fobbed off. I reckon they couldn't pinpoint the fault and have taken a best guess at what may fix the issue in the hope I'll go away because the cost is too high.

What could possibly go wrong inside the unit itself - only the motor. And considering the mirror moves if I use the controls, the motor obviously works fine. Their diagnosis doesn't make sense. I'll get more info when I pick it up.

CircuitMonkey

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. If it adjusts OK with the switches but not automatically how can it be a fault with the entire unit. Surely it's a software issue.
To that end (and my GOTO first thing I try with Peugeot electrics) have you tried a BSI reset?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Have you tried re-setting the mirror by hitting reverse and then adjusting the auto-dip position to see if it works? if not may be worth a try as mine played up for a bit but was ok when I re-set (probably more likely to be a memory position loss than a functional issue if the mirror can still be adjusted without auto-dip

A

Anonymous

CircuitMonkey said:
I'm with you on that one. If it adjusts OK with the switches but not automatically how can it be a fault with the entire unit. Surely it's a software issue.
To that end (and my GOTO first thing I try with Peugeot electrics) have you tried a BSI reset?

That is what I was hoping they would do; some sort of reboot of the vehicles electronic brain.
Can I do it myself?
If so how?
What settings will be wiped as a result?
Is there any risk of me doing irreparable damage?

RCZ_123 said:
Have you tried re-setting the mirror by hitting reverse and then adjusting the auto-dip position to see if it works? if not may be worth a try as mine played up for a bit but was ok when I re-set (probably more likely to be a memory position loss than a functional issue if the mirror can still be adjusted without auto-dip

Yes, I've tried that. I've re-adjusted the wing mirror and re-saved the position to memory. I've tried to do it in a number of combinations (whilst still in reverse, whilst in drive, just before exiting the car, just after entering the car). Unfortunately, the problem didn't go away.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My understanding of a BSI reset is .....

Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
remove key open & close door test central locking system
Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

Borrowed from an earlier post by Absynthe

Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Great - I'll give that a go. Anyone know what BSI stands for?

A

Anonymous

Never mind, I found it. Body Systems Interface (or as the man on the street knows it - 'The Fuse Box').

A

Anonymous

That seems to have solved the problem! I'll be asking the main dealer for a refund on the diagnostics work they did. Useless.

CircuitMonkey

Reaction score
mk_83 said:
That seems to have solved the problem! I'll be asking the main dealer for a refund on the diagnostics work they did. Useless.
Glad to hear it mate

frankvdb

Reaction score
So then you have the electrical gremlins...
There are two things you need to check:
-battery health (near dead batteries will cause electrical problems)
-water ingress, especially near the boot lid, which has also been reported as a cause of various electrical problems

A

Anonymous

The BSi rest did a pretty good job here. Despite the problem returned as noted above, but a further BSI reset sorted it for around a year!

I just tried the BSI reset again and my auto-dip issue remains. I note that the memory settings for the drivers seat and wing mirror were not wiped out by the BSI reset (and that the auto-dip problem is only present in the M1 memory setting).

Should the BSI reset wipe out memory seat settings? If not, how can I reboot these memories, I suspect it may help solve the issue.