What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Anyone installed a throttle controller?

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct about some folks being deluded. But bottom line: a thing is only worth what someone will pay for it......
Sorry to hear about your other half's cancer mate, going through that myself at the moment with mine.

Never had an MX5, must be pretty good if you've had three of them! I've traditionally gone for japanese imports but the last few cars we've really veered into euro territory. Dipped a toe in with a 308 hatch, then got an Alfa 159 2.2 with the selespeed and hated that transmission so got rid of it and went for the diesel 2.4jtdm with normal 6sp auto and loving it. But my wife wanted one that she and her daughter can putt around in and initially we though of a Chrysler Crossfire (as they wanted something unique but small) however once they saw the RCZ they were sold on it.

Come to think of it, I think it's a pretty good car too so thinking it might be time to sell the 159 so I can focus on the RCZ full time.

IanC

Reaction score
Its a sh!t disease!

She's been on an immunotherapy drug for a couple of years now and three monthly scans since have shown no new tumours and no change to those we know about. Best news possible under the circumstances. Sorry to hear about yours. Good luck with it. Hang in there.

Our other car is a 2018 Hyundai Kona 1.6 turbo with 7 speed DCT. It really hustles and would leave the Z for dead. The DCT can be a bit agricultural particularly at low speeds or on an uphill take off and it's a fair bit noisier that the RCZ but but I can live with it regardless.

The RCZ was a heart over head thing for me. I think they are still one of the best looking cars on the road.

IanC

Reaction score
Compared to the MX5 the Crossfire felt like a tank. Heavy steering, lack luster performance and a giant slug. I liked the look of the car and particularly the dash and centre stack but finding the right button out of all those identically shaped and sized buttons would have been a nightmare! The RCZ was the much better choice mate!

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Compared to the MX5 the Crossfire felt like a tank. Heavy steering, lack luster performance and a giant slug. I liked the look of the car and particularly the dash and centre stack but finding the right button out of all those identically shaped and sized buttons would have been a nightmare! The RCZ was the much better choice mate!
Yeah apart from the unique outer styling, it wasn't worth it in the end. It was going to be an issue keeping it going.

Sure, every car has its quirks but after trawling through the merc forums, I got scared off hearing about issues with certain modules that render the car unable to be started. Most other things I can deal with myself but expensive and hard to get modules are no fun. I'd rather deal with timing chain issues on an RCZ than that lol.

IanC

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on a throttle controller. I can pick one up for about $60 AUD but before I do I need to confirm the configration of the oem plug. And before I can do that I need to crack the code on how to release the oem plug from the receptacle atop the accelerator pedal. I guess it has something to do with that little orange clip on the inboard side which seems to slide up a few mm but even then, I can't budge the plug.

Can anyone help with blow by blow instructions. Thanx

Johnny AUS

Reaction score
I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on a throttle controller. I can pick one up for about $60 AUD but before I do I need to confirm the configration of the oem plug. And before I can do that I need to crack the code on how to release the oem plug from the receptacle atop the accelerator pedal. I guess it has something to do with that little orange clip on the inboard side which seems to slide up a few mm but even then, I can't budge the plug.

Can anyone help with blow by blow instructions. Thanx

Ian, here you go.

- I removed the pedal by removing the 3 x 10mm nuts securing it in place.
- This gave me greater access to the plug. The orange securing clip simply slid upwards after lifting the bottom tab.
- Once the orange clip is off, insert a flat head screwdriver underneath the grey plug and twist it to release the plug.
- Then you just connect the throttle controller cables in between, ensuring you feel a nice click.
- I drilled a hole to feed the cable into the compartment to the lower right of the steering wheel to feed the cable through.
- Then connected the control box.
- I then cable tied the cables neatly away.

I then took it for a test drive. It is currently raining here in Sydney tonight.
The Hikeit has a few modes. I tried the H (Hikeit) modes from 6 down to 1. All of which were way too agressive.
I then tried the S (Sport) modes from 5 downwards and settled on 1. The car feels so much more responsive and picks up so much quicker. I may try some of the other modes (C and Eco), but for now, S1 feels very spirited.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• _65Zo8f5T_igR_HclqWKRA.jpg
    _65Zo8f5T_igR_HclqWKRA.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 0hjSha9VTG6SkYtckUKx4g.jpg
    0hjSha9VTG6SkYtckUKx4g.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 7
  • C1eYvvETSNCRqbmZdwcmgg.jpg
    C1eYvvETSNCRqbmZdwcmgg.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 6
  • ejuEay7uQ0OMxepeimIq4w.jpg
    ejuEay7uQ0OMxepeimIq4w.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 8
  • vK39NEU9SEiv5nINWnxHsw.jpg
    vK39NEU9SEiv5nINWnxHsw.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 7

IanC

Reaction score
Many thanx mate. Please lemme know your thoughts on the TC when you try it out.
Thanx again. Much obliged.

IanC

Reaction score
Outstanding! Thanx for the pics and detailed instructions.

Glad that you're happy with the result. I'm going to pull the trigger.

Enjoy your car mate.

IanC

Reaction score
I finally purchased one. An Eittar brand unit for $75 AUD shipped to Australia. Install was a breeze and would have been a five minute job if it hadn't been for the oem throttle connector which was very, very tight. In the end, brute force and pig ignorance won the day. Removing the lower dash panel above the peddles makes access to that connector a lot easier.

Bottom line up front: Does it make a difference? Does it ever

The unit I purchased has five settings: four "race" modes; and an econ mode, each with nine sub-settings. Aside from the econ mode which, IMHO is really only useful for off-roaders who appreciate a slow throttle response when negotiating very rough ground, all four "race" modes offer some increase in responsiveness. I've settled on race mode 2, setting 4 which makes the RCZ about as responsive as my Hyundai Kona 1.6 turbo, 7 speed DCT, which in Sport mode is plenty quick enough for me.

Coz I'm a bloke, yes, I've tried all of the race settings up to mode 4.9 which delivers Spaceball's famed, "ludicrous speed" but makes me very anxious for the auto transmission. Guess I'm showing my age but IMO, every settling above say, mode 3.5 makes even the RCZ auto a bit of a handful in the 'burbs but would be very grin inducing on a twisty road.

Best bang for $75 bucks you can get I reckon!