What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Any electricians on the forum?

renegade79

Reaction score
Any electricians on here care to explain why the fuse board on my new house has expanding foam all over it??

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think it was fitted by the same company that designed the cam chain tensioner on the Mk1 - " Bodgit & scarper " :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It kind of almost looks like he's used the foam to "stick" the electrical box to the wall :shock:

tianorth

Reaction score
I think the sparky had a short on the board and decided to insulate it! [ASTONISHED FACE][ASTONISHED FACE][ASTONISHED FACE][ASTONISHED FACE]

renegade79

Reaction score
I thought maybe they were trying to block a draught behind but I don't know. I'd like to get my hands on the moron who did it :shock:

renegade79

Reaction score
No. I did get a building survey done but he didn't check the electrics. He advised getting an electrician to check the electrics which we didn't. :eusa-whistle:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think there's a slight possibility that you might need one now :eusa-whistle:

Reaction score
On a positive note, getting a reputable electrician to fit a new consumer unit/fuse box and provide a survey/certificate isn't a massive job.

Sold my house in August, and the fuse box/consumer unit was a bit dated and not meeting latest earthing requirements. Fully replaced with a new modern box and signed off in half a day with all the relevant certification was under £300.

A

Anonymous

I have a Peugeot 508, 1.6 hdi, I change the brush from alternator and now charging the battery but after 1 minute is stop charging, if take of the plug from alternator is start charging again, so the alternator working I cant se where is the problem, maybe its a alternator relay but I don't know were is it because in engine fuse is not

thanks

Sanity

Reaction score
catagrosu: Sorry, can't help with your question but I suggest asking in a new thread cuz this one has nothing to do with Peugeot :)

Reaction score
catagrosu said:
I have a Peugeot 508, 1.6 hdi, I change the brush from alternator and now charging the battery but after 1 minute is stop charging, if take of the plug from alternator is start charging again, so the alternator working I cant se where is the problem, maybe its a alternator relay but I don't know were is it because in engine fuse is not

thanks

Have you tried expanding foam ?

chrismac

Reaction score
...or maybe someone had the wall cavity's insulated (with the foam) and its found its way through the holes in the back of the Consumer unit.

Its a Fire hazard, very dangerous and should be fixed asap. :cry:

A

Anonymous

I'm an electrician - and assuming this is not a joke!

That installation is very illegal and not safe. I'm hoping you have already done so because your original post was in January, but you must get that changed for a metal enclosure (BS7176 A3) consumer unit with some RCD fault protection as soon as possible. This is notifiable work, so you have to get a Part P self certifiable electrician to fit it (or get it certified by the council - which will be more expensive). It should only cost about £250 (supply, fit, test and commission) - so get it done now if you have not already.

If you need any more advice do come back.

renegade79

Reaction score
Yes this repair has already been carried out by a registered electrician!

A

Anonymous

renegade79 said:
Yes this repair has already been carried out by a registered electrician!

I'm really pleased to hear that, this story was worrying me a little.
:)