What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Amber red paint(work)

A

Anonymous

OK, not so long ago, I had a problem with the paintwork on my front bumper. As some of you may remember, I bought a used amber red RCZ and after a jet wash, half of the paintwork came off to reveal literally hundreds of stone chips.

The previous owner had done a temporary touchup job, it seems, but the dealer agreed to respray the bumper for me. All good. However, a week after the bumper was resprayed, it has already started to develop a considerable number of stone chips again. It won't be long before it's in the same condition as it was before, I'm sure. Quite frustrated because it looks spotty.

Has anybody had any problem with stone chipping on their amber red RCZs? It's as though every little chip goes right through to the plastic, to reveal a white-ish colour. Maybe the contrast of the red against the bare plastic is just really obvious and noticeable and I just have to deal with it?

Frustrated :-/

P.S. they finally fixed the squeaky seats and windows, after 3 attempts. However I've had a few electrical faults since they've had the car last, and the hill-holder seems to stick when the car has been parked overnight. When I set off in the morning, it really crunches as I set off. Bloody car :-(

RCZ1

Reaction score
Aside from stating the bleeding obvious, there's something not right here. You say the previous owner had a dodgy touch up job done but to my mind, this is laying at the dealer's door rather than the previous owner. I strongly suspect that the dealer did a quick "touch up" with strong filling glazes when you first took delivery, as I previously stated. It would seem that they have done the same again. In a week, a car would not pick up stone chips like that. Do you drive down a lot of stone ridden roads or pass alot of gritter lorries? Even so, still not in a week. Have you washed the car since its been done?

If a car had been resprayed properly then it should stay in a pristine condition for a long time to come. The stone chips would probably be wet sanded back a bit before being resprayed. I don't think this is happened on your case.

I would take it straight back to the dealer and this time say that you will take it to a body shop of your choice but that they will foot the bill.

Let's hope that you get this sorted out once and for all.

A

Anonymous

I have a slightly different slant on this to RCZ1. However I too do not believe that your car can have that many "stone chips" More likely to be flaking/peeling paint.
My car has 1 stone chip and has done nigh on 20K miles.

A

Anonymous

I have had 2 red cars before the rcz hence its white red/black are the worst for stonechips the reason l will never have a red car again its not the Peugeot paint or poor touch up job its just the naff water based paint which is either too soft or too brittle

RCZ1

Reaction score
I didn't have too many stone chips on my red cars. In a week, you would not get the front looking like its got a rash from stone chips. No there is simply more to this than simply stone chips.

A

Anonymous

I really don't feel like going into the dealer again. I've been in 5 or 6 times now, and almost had a bust up with one of the service department guys last time I was in there. If you could just take cars back and ask for a refund I would have done it long ago. Bloody hate the car, and as I am paying for it on finance, I'm stuck with it. :-(

The whole bumper was definitely resprayed, because from certain angles, in certain light conditions, you can see it's a different colour to the bonnet. I know, I know, I should have taken it back for that anyway. But I've just got to the stage now where I really can't be bothered anymore.

Really just don't know what to do about it now. On January 2nd I go to California for 5 weeks, so I can't really sort it out for a while.

The garage have lost out on a potential sale now because of this too - my girlfriend WAS interested in a new 208. She wouldn't go anywhere near a Peugeot now.

RCZ1

Reaction score
It might have been resprayed but not necessarily prepared and done properly. Especially as you have the car on finance all the more reason to sort it once and for all. The 5 weeks you are away is an ideal opportunity to leave it with them or get the car sorted elsewhere. Take it to another dealer maybe - they are not all the same. There are some good ones out there.

A

Anonymous

Another dealer won't respray it and take the cost though.

I may well have the car taken to a body shop while I'm away to be resprayed again, and I'm guessing I'll probably have to foot the bill myself.

I don't think it was done properly - on some of the edges of the bumper, the paint is coarse in texture. And like I said, in certain lights, it looks like it doesn't match. It's hard to describe, but the colour looks slightly duller. The red isn't as rich or as shiny.

A

Anonymous

I would say if you aren't happy with the result then you are perfectly within your rights to return it and get it re done properly. I know you've had enough of returning to the dealership but if you don't then your letting them get away with it. Don't give up! Fight to have it sorted as you wish, explain what you want fully and say you'll go to the local press or Auto Express magazine (as they often fight for people like yourselves) if they don't. To me no one wants bad press. Hope you get it sorted and start to enjoy your car again.