What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

alloys bubbling corrosion

VASS

Reaction score
well the inevitable scrapes on the wheels has now manifested into bubbling under the finish, growing at quite a rate of knots

as the car is only 6 months old, these wheels are going to look pretty nasty in 3 years time.

photos to follow....

A

Anonymous

VASS said:
well the inevitable scrapes on the wheels has now manifested into bubbling under the finish, growing at quite a rate of knots

as the car is only 6 months old, these wheels are going to look pretty nasty in 3 years time.

photos to follow....
I would be straight back to dealer where you purchased the car,the car is under warranty,corosion on the wheels isnt acceptable,unless its due to accidental damage in which case you could have them powder coated.

A

Anonymous

if youve kerbed the wheels then its not covered by warranty. There are some companies that repair and repaint the alloys. If complex i.e. black or other colour then they normally need the wheel for a few days but some companies offer a mobile service (which I used) and they repaired in an hour and it cost £100 per wheel.

VASS

Reaction score
its £ 75 per wheel ( we just had the TT done) but the guy cannot do two tone wheels

the scrapes , yes my fault, but I'm amazed how the bubbling is working its way inwards and spreading so badly.

Basic Alloy cleaner scrubbed and washed off is all I do.

Click image for larger view

RCZ1

Reaction score
VASS said:
its £ 75 per wheel ( we just had the TT done) but the guy cannot do two tone wheels

the scrapes , yes my fault, but I'm amazed how the bubbling is working its way inwards and spreading so badly.

Basic Alloy cleaner scrubbed and washed off is all I do.

Click image for larger view

Is your alloy cleaner acidic? I've heard of this happening with acidic cleaners as it gets under the coating of the scrapes in the alloys and then starts to corrode them, causing bubbling, etc. Acidic cleaners are very aggressive. Just a possible explanation :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

adrian said:
if youve kerbed the wheels then its not covered by warranty. There are some companies that repair and repaint the alloys. If complex i.e. black or other colour then they normally need the wheel for a few days but some companies offer a mobile service (which I used) and they repaired in an hour and it cost £100 per wheel.
:roll: Durr!Im aware kerbed wheels arnt covered by warranty!if you read my post I said "unless its accidental damage"meaning kerbed wheels etc!

A

Anonymous

That shiny machined finish, also referred to as a Diamond Cut finish I believe, is quite pricey to repair I've the same problem on my mondeo where over time the top laquer must've been chipped just enough to allow a little water to permeate through and make contact with the bare metal underneath. The resulting oxidisation quickly works it's way under the laquer and the affected area spreads. I simply couldn't justify the cost of repair on my old mondeo so I had to resort to a diy job which by no means looks good but better than they were. Although I obviously wouldn't recommend my approach on the georgeous 19"ers on the RCZ.