What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Alloy problem

FGRob

Reaction score
Well I spent most of this afternoon cleaning up my brake discs (after the garage caused them to start rusting) and generally cleaning the alloys and under arch parts, I've noticed that on the rear alloys the inside spokes (inside of wheel not seen) have started to bubble, right on the edge leading to the front, then on the front I have one alloy which is starting to bubble on the inner rim which starts on the edge leading into the actual outer (seen) alloy - this is not good for a 9 month old car, which has been treated with wax and the alloys regularly cleaned during winter. I'm going to talk to the garage tomorrow to see what the replacement policy is as I'm not best pleased. :evil: :evil:

Also the transport bracket was still fitted at the back, gone a lovely shade of rust, any way removed it and gave the area a quick blast of WD40. :thumbdown:

Rob.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on this Rob. I will have an inspection of my alloys. Not seen anything untowards yet.
Where do I need to look to see if my transport bracket has been removed?

FGRob

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Thanks for the heads up on this Rob. I will have an inspection of my alloys. Not seen anything untowards yet.
Where do I need to look to see if my transport bracket has been removed?
I'm going to Peugeot tomorrow to have a chat with regard to the alloys. :evil:

The bracket is on the rear nearside, you will need to take the wheel off to get at it, it's just in front of the exhaust hanger looks like a triangle with a hole in it, if it's there you can't miss it, it will be rusty. I'm taking that back as well tomorrow.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Hmm.. that's worrying... thanks for the heads up Rob will keep an eye on my alloys too. I wonder if we see other people with it whether we should list which alloys we have. Is it possible the alloys come from different suppliers?

FGRob

Reaction score
Mlbblue said:
Hmm.. that's worrying... thanks for the heads up Rob will keep an eye on my alloys too. I wonder if we see other people with it whether we should list which alloys we have. Is it possible the alloys come from different suppliers?
Yep I think that's a good idea. Mine are std 19" GT silver wheels, had another look tonight they seem to have gone very quickly - not sure if my last trip to the garage may have started something - those chemicals are very aggressive.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Vass had kerbed his alloys, this damage led to his corrosion issue.

RCZ1

Reaction score
True yes, but then people should be aware of cleaning their alloys with acidic alloy cleaners with or without kerbed alloys. I know Rob hasn't cleaned his with acidic cleaners but with recent issues with his car it's possible very strong chemicals have been near them. Always check the label to make sure the cleaner you use is free from acid. Better to protect with a wheel sealant and clean with shampoo and water.

FGRob

Reaction score
The bubbling I have is not on the outside of the rim, it's actually just the other side of the valve starting from the inner edge heading towards the valve. Also the inner spokes are badly bubbled but you cannot see them but no doubt it will start appearing on the sides.

The only time I use a chemical cleaner is when I take the wheels off for detailing, I normally use Wonder Wheels, as this seems pretty good at removing the dust etc, but afterwards I always re-wax.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

my car is coming up for 1 year old on 15th may got no issues with the alloys but i will only use shampoo and warm water . i think even wonder wheels is quite strong i am strongly against any of these products it may take a little longer with the shampoo but long term i feel it to be a lot safer but that is only my personal opinion i dont even use a jet washer on the wheels just a hose on the shower setting

FGRob

Reaction score
OK been to the garage today, Darren who looks after the body shop there, has been very good and certainly agrees that the wheels should not be in the condition they are (all 4 of them). The fault starts from the edge of the spoke inwards and where the outer rim ends and the inner rim starts, basically the corners.

I'm not sure about replacement I'm more interested in my alloys being refurbished, this will ensure that the edge is taken off and if done correctly, there will be an even coverage both inside and outside of the wheel.

Mel I would remove the wheel if I was you and check the spokes - certainly if you have a GT, I'll try and post a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. The only time I use chemicals is when I doing a thorough detailing, about every 6 months, so this is the first time it's been done so the damage had happened over the past 9 months.

All this before my trip and I will certainly be taking this up with Peugeot in Austria, providing the paint is not removed by this super pollen which is currently over Europe and on it's way to the UK :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Rob

A

Anonymous

thanks rob got the same spec car as yours does it matter which wheel front/ back / nearside or should i check front and back ! i will check it out this weekend has the dealer got to speak to peugeot to see what the next move will be ?

FGRob

Reaction score
mel said:
thanks rob got the same spec car as yours does it matter which wheel front/ back / nearside or should i check front and back ! i will check it out this weekend has the dealer got to speak to peugeot to see what the next move will be ?
The front seem to have taken the biggest hit, the offside has most corrosion to the inner spoke (all spokes) and the nearside has the most visible corrosion from the outside, the least corrosion is the rear offside.

Peugeot have got photographs now but I'm not sure if I wil get an answer tomorrow, after this I will have to wait until I return from my trip.

The garage have very kindly loaned me a space saver wheel, as the one I ordered as not arrived yet - they are on back order with no date indicated - this will be the 3rd week, I've got my tyre already.

Rob.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've had my wheels off today and no signs of corrosion on the backs, but they were only detailed on that side about a month ago. I did notice though that I still have the transport bracket you mentioned on the rear but its only slighty rusty - however I will take it back to the dealer to be removed.

I just clean my alloys with shampoo and water, that's all thats been required. They are sealed every 3 months as that's the durability of the alloy sealant that I use.