What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

All about the R - For Newbies ?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies to the old timers :sleeping-yellow: - this is more aimed at newbies to the forum or RCZ.
I didn't know what to call this thread and know that not everyone has a R and I feel fortunate to have one. Now I am not one of these souls who has to have the best, but I do like to keep whatever I have in good fettle, after all if you're going to spend a hefty wad then you want it to stay looking good. This is true of many things not just the Z.
So, why the R. Well I had a blue GT200 and loved it, and it was at that time THE best car I had ever driven and owned, in looks / handling / and performance, so why change - good question. Believe it or not I changed the car because I was sick of reading about all the experts and journalists saying that the R this and the R that, that I had to just go and try one and see what all the hype was about and if it was true.
Well something that all you R owners already know - YES IT WAS.
But I didn't really know how good it was against other cars that I've never owned obviously and whilst bored I was looking at some older posts that I have not read and saw one titled RCZ R Vs Audi TT 3,2
Within it was a post by TiaNorth giving a link to a youtube video test done by 5th Gear - Vicki to be precise,
Now I know this is old hat, but for anyone new to the RCZ and the forum they may be interested to know just how good a car the Z is, so here it is - bare in mind the Aldi is a 3.2 twice the engine capacity of the R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plszQppI11c&app=desktop

Now I had seen this myself but I hadn't seen this one......

RCZ R 1.6l v NISMO ( RACING ) NISSAN 370Z v6 3.7l !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVxxxfN5-s&app=desktop

Well how did it fare ?

It beat the TT by 2 seconds and was only beaten by the V6 3.7l Nissan by .4 of a second !!

Now ok so things change, but that is proof of a damn good car, that the little 1.6 inline four can compete with these other sports coupe's.

It truely is a Wolf a beautiful one at that, in sheep's clothing, a work of modern motoring beauty that is shared across ALL the RCZ range, viva la Peugeot !!

And a huge well done to Peugeot Sport !!

Cheers M. :beer:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Firstly, apologies to the old timers :sleeping-yellow: - this is more aimed at newbies to the forum or RCZ.
I didn't know what to call this thread and know that not everyone has a R and I feel fortunate to have one. Now I am not one of these souls who has to have the best, but I do like to keep whatever I have in good fettle, after all if you're going to spend a hefty wad then you want it to stay looking good. This is true of many things not just the Z.
So, why the R. Well I had a blue GT200 and loved it, and it was at that time THE best car I had ever driven and owned, in looks / handling / and performance, so why change - good question. Believe it or not I changed the car because I was sick of reading about all the experts and journalists saying that the R this and the R that, that I had to just go and try one and see what all the hype was about and if it was true.
Well something that all you R owners already know - YES IT WAS.
But I didn't really know how good it was against other cars that I've never owned obviously and whilst bored I was looking at some older posts that I have not read and saw one titled RCZ R Vs Audi TT 3,2
Within it was a post by TiaNorth giving a link to a youtube video test done by 5th Gear - Vicki to be precise,
Now I know this is old hat, but for anyone new to the RCZ and the forum they may be interested to know just how good a car the Z is, so here it is - bare in mind the Aldi is a 3.2 twice the engine capacity of the R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plszQppI11c&app=desktop

Now I had seen this myself but I hadn't seen this one......

RCZ R 1.6l v NISMO ( RACING ) NISSAN 370Z v6 3.7l !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McVxxxfN5-s&app=desktop

Well how did it fare ?

It beat the TT by 2 seconds and was only beaten by the V6 3.7l Nissan by .4 of a second !!

Now ok so things change, but that is proof of a damn good car, that the little 1.6 inline four can compete with these other sports coupe's.

It truely is a Wolf a beautiful one at that, in sheep's clothing, a work of modern motoring beauty that is shared across ALL the RCZ range, viva la Peugeot !!

And a huge well done to Peugeot Sport !!

Totally agree :)

Stu8

Reaction score
1..6 is the smallest engine I've owned since I past my test a long time ago, and I'm in total agreement it's one hell of a plukky engine , reminds me of my jack Russell small but with a heart of a lion. :text-bravo:

renegade79

Reaction score
Totally Agree.... So much torque from such a small engine. every day that I drive my GTi, it still amazes me how Peugeot Sport managed to get so much power from a 1.6 and also how the power is delivered to the front wheels via the LSD with awesome brakes! :dance:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I want to be part of it :greetings-wavingblue: good idea!
We should promote the R as nowadays people tend to forget about good things rather quickly. The R is a gem, still a hidden gem.

As for the comparison 370Z vs RCZ R. I only drove the predecessor, the 350Z and I must say it was a sensational car in regards of driving sensations. A typical driver's car. Great input on the steering, a lively rear, excellent engine. I couldn't forget about that car so I screened the used market for months looking for the one.
But then the R came along. It is a more nimble, lighter car to fire across country roads. A genuine petrol head car where tiny inputs on the limit and the car's response to them make you smile.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Putting the performance and the thrill of driving the R to one side and look at the running costs between the R and the Nissan or most other sport performance cars for that matter, the R owner must be quids in 40+mpg low tax and insurance even with the ridiculous cost of the front brakes, the R is cheap thrills :dance:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Putting the performance and the thrill of driving the R to one side and look at the running costs between the R and the Nissan or most other sport performance cars for that matter, the R owner must be quids in 40+mpg low tax and insurance even with the ridiculous cost of the front brakes, the R is cheap thrills :dance:

Yes of course I agree with all the above and Neil this is so true, though you do have an extra £500 levy on the insurance because of it's sports heritage.

Interesting response for which I expected to be slated, but I was trying to highlight the RCZ and especially the R for anyone looking to buy one. Though I aimed this on the R, I do not belittle any of the RCZ's in the stable, they are all fabulous and built on the same platform - how could I !!
We have all said this before, for the looks alone with the double bubble roof and curves in all the right places, the stance and road holding throughout the range, we all have a special car that is not the normal box on wheels.
And to boot we might as well be driving an exotic sports car bar the badge, and for me every time I jump in mine - I am driving an exotic sports car !! What a bargain ....

Cheers All M. :beer:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I rarely ever make it to any forum meet. But wouldn't it be just the perfect opportunity for other users to at least be a passenger in an R? And do the instant comparison between a 200 and the R? Or the 156 to the R? etc. etc.

Stu8

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
I rarely ever make it to any forum meet. But wouldn't it be just the perfect opportunity for other users to at least be a passenger in an R? And do the instant comparison between a 200 and the R? Or the 156 to the R? etc. etc.
I'm up for that :dance:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I drove both the 156 & 200 when trying to find my Z. At the time, the R was just round the corner, but not yet on sale.

I have never been in an R & I do find it hard to imagine how much faster than my 200 GT it is. It would be interesting to try one out. :eusa-think:

Nemi

Reaction score
Here is in depth review for RCZ-R from Germany, for newbies ;)

RCZ1

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
neilgsxr69 said:

Yes of course I agree with all the above and Neil this is so true, though you do have an extra £500 levy on the insurance because of it's sports heritage.

Interesting response for which I expected to be slated, but I was trying to highlight the RCZ and especially the R for anyone looking to buy one. Though I aimed this on the R, I do not belittle any of the RCZ's in the stable, they are all fabulous and built on the same platform - how could I !!
We have all said this before, for the looks alone with the double bubble roof and curves in all the right places, the stance and road holding throughout the range, we all have a special car that is not the normal box on wheels.
And to boot we might as well be driving an exotic sports car bar the badge, and for me every time I jump in mine - I am driving an exotic sports car !! What a bargain ....

£500 insurance levy?

My insurance for my R is £280.

At the RAF Cosford RCZ Meet last weekend, members of the public were having their photos taken stood by the RCZs. How many Peugeot’s or other cars for that matter (within a similar price band when new) could manage that ?

Exotic car looks for peanuts :)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Plecodoras said:
neilgsxr69 said:

£500 insurance levy?

My insurance for my R is £280.

At the RAF Cosford RCZ Meet last weekend, members of the public were having their photos taken stood by the RCZs. How many Peugeot’s or other cars for that matter (within a similar price band when new) could manage that ?

Exotic car looks for peanuts :)

That last phrase says it all - too true....

Yes Kerry my insurance said that there is an extra £500 excess on the insurance for the R due to it being in the same bracket as Porsche's etc, my actual insurance isn't a huge amount but it does have this extra levy.