What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Aerodynamic Analysis - RCZ 2010

A

Anonymous

HI All,

New to the forum.

I have a question regarding the aerodynamics of the 2010 RCZ.

I'm currently carrying out an aerodynamic analysis of the car and the real affect the rear spoiler has on the vehicle.

Has anyone got any other research they know of or have carried out?

I'm more than happy to share any findings with interested parties.

Thanks in advance,

Phill

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have nothing, but it would be a very interesting thing to find out :eusa-think:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've also been wondering about the effect the rear spoiler has on the aerodynamics of the car my spoiler lifts to full height at 97mph (allegedly officer :eusa-whistle: ) so if we manually raise and drive around with it in the higher position are we actually reducing our fuel economy? I would think so but by how much would be interesting to know :eusa-think:

2retro

Reaction score
TBH I doubt the active spoiler adds anything at all to the downforce of the car unless you're going a an incredible (and illegal) rate of knots. And even then it's probably pretty negligible.

It does, however, more than make up for that in coolness factor when it activates at speed. :cool:

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
I was wondering this also, purely due to averaging 6.1 litres per 100km on a recent road trip. Given the size of the car I thought that was pretty impressive and wondered whether the aerodynamics had anything to do with this (particularly as mums 308 with the same engine doesn't get the same economy on the highway and mine had bit heavy wide wheels / tyres on it).

tianorth

Reaction score
I've heard that the active spoiler closes at speeds over 120mph, as the car produces enough downforce with the rear window, without the need for the spoiler!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Now there's a challenge if ever I heard one :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The only problem would be that at over 120 mph I would have 1 eye on the road in front, 1 eye scanning for :law-policered: and I've run out of eyes to check if the spoiler has gone back down :eusa-whistle:

DRTDVL

Reaction score
I can say at over 120mph I wasn't looking to see if the spoiler was up... I had set it to be up. The spoiler might be like the early tt spoiler where it's there to provide some stability to the car when at speed.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I've been investigating this as part of my dissertation at university and all results are pointing to a reduction in lift at higher speeds (to be expected).

Simulations @ 95mph with a RCZ 2010 CAD Model

No spoiler - 775N of lift
Stage 1 - 635N of lift 18% reduction on No spoiler
Stage 2 - 504N of lift 35% reduction on No spoiler

Simulations with a 3d scan of my actual RCZ (dings and all) to follow, so ill keep you all posted.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think with a little bit of plagiarism that could be an A* for the OP :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Other than raising the spoiler manually, does anyone know how the spoiler could be made at legal speeds, say mid 40s and 70ish?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
tianorth said:
I've heard that the active spoiler closes at speeds over 120mph, as the car produces enough downforce with the rear window, without the need for the spoiler!!!!!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Having had a THP156 gen 1 RCZ for a week years ago and having pushed it to 140MPH I don't recall the spoiler to retract at above 120. I remember being it up there. And I remember the 156THP not being very sure-footed at those speeds.