What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

About to buy a used RCZ - any advice on what to check before I go for it?

pose1don

Reaction score
Hi all.
After saving for quite a while now, I'm about to buy a used RCZ which has been my dream car for years now.
Every single one of my friends are saying to not go for it, due to perceived reliability issues of Peugeot as a brand, but whatever Imma go for it :)

The car in question is quite used:
- 2011 model
- 1.6l 150hp petrol engine, 6 gear automatic
- 160k+ on the odometer (quite a bit I guess for an island car)
- priced around 8k eur

What are your thoughts on the purchase?
What should I look at, test, inspect, touch and smell? haha

Thanks in advance!!

Nemi

Reaction score
If you had to save for "quite a while" then maybe this isn't the best option for you 🤔 Mileage is pretty high on this. I owned two RCZs (both petrol) and I had to deal with engine errors on both of them (spent a lot of money on repairs). Since I love RCZ and have some spare money, this isn't an issue for me but if you are about to spend your savings on RCZ, then you should really think about it.

Maybe RCZ diesel would be more suitable for you? More reliable engine :rolleyes:

Flanners

Reaction score
Most unreliable cars from this year's claims statistics are Porsche.

pose1don

Reaction score
If you had to save for "quite a while" then maybe this isn't the best option for you 🤔 Mileage is pretty high on this. I owned two RCZs (both petrol) and I had to deal with engine errors on both of them (spent a lot of money on repairs). Since I love RCZ and have some spare money, this isn't an issue for me but if you are about to spend your savings on RCZ, then you should really think about it.

Maybe RCZ diesel would be more suitable for you? More reliable engine :rolleyes:
Ok maybe I’m being dramatic 😅
Let’s call them my ‘car savings’ - I just don’t want to buy a car that I will have to immediately spend few thousands to service it.
I already expect that it might need to get a new timing belt replacement after reading the forum and blogs online - so I’m ready to invest some money into it.

What were the services you had so far and approximately what am I looking at in terms of price

pose1don

Reaction score
Service History ?
Apparently not. He said its been serviced at an unofficial repair shop. I’ll ask for any proof of service though.
I’m also thinking to take it for a check at a mechanic before buying - would they be able to do a quick inspection and see what was possibly repaired recently and what might need change?

Nemi

Reaction score
What were the services you had so far and approximately what am I looking at in terms of price

Unfortunately, I threw away my service invoices for my previous RCZ. Would be interesting to go over them and calculate the total amount spent on services. Major ones were timing chain replacement (around 400 Eur), hpfp (480 Eur), valve cover (200 Eur), thermostat (260 Eur), turbo restoration (500 Eur), diverter valve (100 Eur). Before I crashed my RCZ, it still had some issues related to turbo boost pressure and huge clouds of white smoke (maybe valve stem seals? sounds expensive).

This year on my new RCZ I spent around 1000 Eur on timing chain replacement, new ignition coils, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and some other minor issues. I still have an engine error appearing from time to time but the Peugeot dealership can't figure out what's the issue, something related to the camshaft position. Also, some engine oil is leaking somewhere, probably needs a new valve cover. The coolant is also leaking slightly, maybe the thermostat is cracked again. Next year I will sort out these issues 😄

I also change engine oil every 10k km (around 80 Eur including filters) and top-up if needed between changes.

But I still love my RCZ 🙂

pose1don

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I threw away my service invoices for my previous RCZ. Would be interesting to go over them and calculate the total amount spent on services. Major ones were timing chain replacement (around 400 Eur), hpfp (480 Eur), valve cover (200 Eur), thermostat (260 Eur), turbo restoration (500 Eur), diverter valve (100 Eur). Before I crashed my RCZ, it still had some issues related to turbo boost pressure and huge clouds of white smoke (maybe valve stem seals? sounds expensive).

This year on my new RCZ I spent around 1000 Eur on timing chain replacement, new ignition coils, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, and some other minor issues. I still have an engine error appearing from time to time but the Peugeot dealership can't figure out what's the issue, something related to the camshaft position. Also, some engine oil is leaking somewhere, probably needs a new valve cover. The coolant is also leaking slightly, maybe the thermostat is cracked again. Next year I will sort out these issues 😄

I also change engine oil every 10k km (around 80 Eur including filters) and top-up if needed between changes.

But I still love my RCZ 🙂
Ohh this ‘hurts’ especially the white smoke thing!
I recently (6 months ago) spent 850eur to fix the turbo on my Isuzu SUV, apparently it was taking oil and burning it, causing white smoke issue (thought the car will catch on fire lol).
Now same issue again, just this time they say it’s not the same issue (so they don’t have to warranty repair it free of charge), hence why I’m looking for a new car.

Your list of repairs is quite long I have to admit! Although prices are not as bad as I thought - timing chain was quoted around 700-800 eur here in Cyprus, I hope I’ll get a better deal closer to the one you had. Guess I’ll have to take it to a local mechanic I know to give me a better quote than the authorized repair shop.

Pedro

Reaction score
Most unreliable cars from this year's claims statistics are Porsche.
They do take a lot of hammer though + they suffer with Oil issues (AOS) low or no battery power & smoke on start up so do these sound familiar?:rolleyes:

Pedro

Reaction score
Apparently not. He said its been serviced at an unofficial repair shop. I’ll ask for any proof of service though.
I’m also thinking to take it for a check at a mechanic before buying - would they be able to do a quick inspection and see what was possibly repaired recently and what might need change?
I would imagine only a road test would determine if there is anything going on with the mechanical side you could possibly scan the cars history to see if there are any historical codes? The only real pointers I would be wary of was camshaft or chain rattle at cold start & afterwards once its warmed up & the cars fast acceleration (hammer it if necessary to check for any smoke signs) if it seems sluggish or you noticed any sign of turbo lag it will suggest the engines not performing as it should

Vally

Reaction score
Hi all.
After saving for quite a while now, I'm about to buy a used RCZ which has been my dream car for years now.
Every single one of my friends are saying to not go for it, due to perceived reliability issues of Peugeot as a brand, but whatever Imma go for it :)

The car in question is quite used:
- 2011 model
- 1.6l 150hp petrol engine, 6 gear automatic
- 160k+ on the odometer (quite a bit I guess for an island car)
- priced around 8k eur

What are your thoughts on the purchase?
What should I look at, test, inspect, touch and smell? haha

Thanks in advance!!
I have a 2015 RCZ bought it new watch the timing chain .I had only done about 26.000 thousand miles it snapped and had to get a new engine cost over 4000 pounds.

Green Hornet 2

Reaction score
Get a bluetooth odb2 dongle and either fap or torque app and read the error codes.
With torque you can check the long term fuel trims and see if they are below 10%
Have a look at etuners web site lots of helpful tech info
That what I'd do If buying another.

Current one, bought 37000 miles 3 years ago full service history and serviced yearly by main dealer and have had since owning
New brake discs all round
New brake pads all round
New front springs, one snapped.
New HPFP, there are 3 error codes that indicate it needs changing but they are not obvious.
4 New tyres
100 miles later Another tire because of a rogue screw! Possibly malicious...
4 New coil packs
New spark plugs ( need changing again soon)
Cam sensor.
Repair to exhaust centre hanger, speed bump altercation...
Timing chain needs replacing soon (57000 miles)
2 New front tires after 13000 miles, tracking was out again !
Not to mention the regular oil top ups and difficulty che king the level
Have replaced the headlight lugs, can get repair kits on ebay.
Have replaced numerous bulbs, seem to pop randomly.
Repkaced sensed bolts and nuts on engine plastic under cover.

Each yearly service costs about £200
Each tire £200+
Hpfp £400+ diy fit oain to do.
Brakes £300
Springs £400
Timing chain £1000

Still like the car and not going to sell.

Listen for the chain rattle left side of engine about 2000 2500 ram from when engine is cold, must be from cold.
Check if the tensioner bolt is flat, dimpled etc, there a pist about it on here with pictures
Look for uneven tire wear

Green Hornet 2

Reaction score
Get a bluetooth odb2 dongle and either fap or torque app and read the error codes.
With torque you can check the long term fuel trims and see if they are below 10%
Have a look at etuners web site lots of helpful tech info
That what I'd do If buying another.

Current one, bought 37000 miles 3 years ago full service history and serviced yearly by main dealer and have had since owning
New brake discs all round
New brake pads all round
New front springs, one snapped.
New HPFP, there are 3 error codes that indicate it needs changing but they are not obvious.
4 New tyres
100 miles later Another tire because of a rogue screw! Possibly malicious...
4 New coil packs
New spark plugs ( need changing again soon)
Cam sensor.
Repair to exhaust centre hanger, speed bump altercation...
Timing chain needs replacing soon (57000 miles)
2 New front tires after 13000 miles, tracking was out again !
Not to mention the regular oil top ups and difficulty che king the level
Have replaced the headlight lugs, can get repair kits on ebay.
Have replaced numerous bulbs, seem to pop randomly.
Repkaced sensed bolts and nuts on engine plastic under cover.

Each yearly service costs about £200
Each tire £200+
Hpfp £400+ diy fit oain to do.
Brakes £300
Springs £400
Timing chain £1000

Still like the car and not going to sell.

Listen for the chain rattle left side of engine about 2000 2500 ram from when engine is cold, must be from cold.
Check if the tensioner bolt is flat, dimpled etc, there a pist about it on here with pictures
Look for uneven tire wear
Meant seized bolts

Bart

Reaction score
What I looked out for when buying our RCZ was the overall state of the engine in terms of oil and how clean it was. Off course listened for the chain rattle, it didn't. White smoke was present when cold but not too bad.

Used Torque with OBD dongle to check LTFT was below 10, it was -2. Checked the valve cover to see if it was the revised version ("Mecaplast" on the right side of the cover). Had the tensioner checked to see if it was replaced and the revised version was used.

After buying it, had the timing checked as well as the valves for pollution. So far haven't found major problems but you never know...

Bart

Reaction score
Don't worry, usually it's not that bad and you only hear about the horror stories. I'd advise an OBD dongle with Torque for every newer car, especially the direct injected types like BMW, Mini, Renault, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, etc. Most of it is common sense.

And it is still one of the most beautiful cars around so a bit of quirkiness is to be forgiven. :cool:

V8 pel

Reaction score

Rcz Diesel, had no issues with the wifes one whatsoever, lovely car to drive, very understated i think , would have another one over a TT any day , that mileage seems extremely high for a petrol is in Kilometres though?
the petrol engine is a BMW engine I believe and suffers badly with timing chain and head gaskets,
If you map the diesel it has miles more torque than the patrol anyway

Bart

Reaction score
Mine is an Obdlink LX, quote good. Fast and so far it has worked in any car I've tried it on (Renault Laguna, Mazda RX8, Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, you name it).