What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

A shit, poor man's TT, basically.

TheWest

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was doing a little research in to this hideously flawed engine's endless list of problems (N14) when I came across this!

Kind of annoying because I could have bought a same year, same mileage TT for half the price.

On the one hand, I sort of agree, the N14 engine is a high maintenance thing, but please show me any other performance oriented car / engine combo that doesn't require lots of extra attention (looking at you Subaru) . But also, without the turbo, like my last car with the same engine, and 100K miles on the clock, they are actually very good when properly maintained.

But that is beside the point. I didn't buy my RCZ because it was 'cheap'! It wasn't cheap at all! I bought my car because I fell in love with the RCZ! It's a driver's car! It handles amazingly, the acceleration is on point, and backed up with actual torque. And that's coming from a die hard motorcyclist! I've hated cars for 30 years of my life!

It's weird how people hate on the RCZ, when they have never driven an RCZ. The only thing that ever came close for me was a turbocharged Diesel Astra Van. That thing drove like it was on rails, and smoked pretty much anyone at the lights! But it didn't handle with anything close to the refinement of the RCZ.

Anyway, open to opinions. Just kind of ticked me off.

Claret63

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was doing a little research in to this hideously flawed engine's endless list of problems (N14) when I came across this!

Kind of annoying because I could have bought a same year, same mileage TT for half the price.

On the one hand, I sort of agree, the N14 engine is a high maintenance thing, but please show me any other performance oriented car / engine combo that doesn't require lots of extra attention (looking at you Subaru) . But also, without the turbo, like my last car with the same engine, and 100K miles on the clock, they are actually very good when properly maintained.

But that is beside the point. I didn't buy my RCZ because it was 'cheap'! It wasn't cheap at all! I bought my car because I fell in love with the RCZ! It's a driver's car! It handles amazingly, the acceleration is on point, and backed up with actual torque. And that's coming from a die hard motorcyclist! I've hated cars for 30 years of my life!

It's weird how people hate on the RCZ, when they have never driven an RCZ. The only thing that ever came close for me was a turbocharged Diesel Astra Van. That thing drove like it was on rails, and smoked pretty much anyone at the lights! But it didn't handle with anything close to the refinement of the RCZ.

Anyway, open to opinions. Just kind of ticked me off.
Absolute crap, another you tube video with someone trying to claim they know cars.
If there is a hatred for the RCZ it’s badge snobs, UK is known for that.
Maintenance is key on any car, and so called problems on most cars are brought on by poor maintenance period.
I have always replaced things before recommended service intervals so therefore next to no problems.
The only thing though with the RCZ is those stupid chocolate jacking points.

If you are comparing the Z to the TT, then as we have both the TT has the better build quality period, driving wise I prefer the RCZ, but that is not to say the TT is a bad drive, also to look at I can’t separate the 2, both great in their own way.

Last edited:

Flanners

Reaction score
basically appears to be a cut and paste narration of the wikipedia page.....with some of his own inane BS and inaccuracies thrown in for good measure.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
When I first got my RCZ, the guy over the road had a TT. The first comment I got from him was “you’ve never bought an Aldi TT” Strange how 10 years on I’ve still got my RCZ & his TT is long gone.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I actually don’t agree with the looks comment, I much prefer the Z to the TT. I’ve also driven both, & I enjoyed driving the Z far more.

Kenno Wenno

Reaction score
As you can imagine, I was pretty excited when I was due to pick up my Red Carbon in Aug 2022. I told my mate's wife and her vile comment was "Haha it's the poor man's Audi TT" - I WAS REALLY PISSED OFF.

She drive's a Vauxhall Corsa that her husband bought for her. What a jealous COW.

hellomotto

Reaction score
As you can imagine, I was pretty excited when I was due to pick up my Red Carbon in Aug 2022. I told my mate's wife and her vile comment was "Haha it's the poor man's Audi TT" - I WAS REALLY PISSED OFF.

She drive's a Vauxhall Corsa that her husband bought for her. What a jealous COW.
It might have been a poor mans TT, 10 years ago.

But now theyre in their own category i believe

Fig

Reaction score
I had one of those Astra vans and you’re right, they’re bloody epic - Sportive 1.9cdti 150. Bad gearboxes on the later ones though.

Kenneth

Reaction score

Anyway, open to opinions. Just kind of ticked
Absolute crap, another you tube video with someone trying to claim they know cars.
If there is a hatred for the RCZ it’s badge snobs, UK is known for that.
Maintenance is key on any car, and so called problems on most cars are brought on by poor maintenance period.
I have always replaced things before recommended service intervals so therefore next to no problems.
The only thing though with the RCZ is those stupid chocolate jacking points.

If you are comparing the Z to the TT, then as we have both the TT has the better build quality period, driving wise I prefer the RCZ, but that is not to say the TT is a bad drive, also to look at I can’t separate the 2, both great in their own way.
There’s always been huge badge snobbery in the UK. The car has always been seen as a measure of “how you’re doing” in the game. I’ve always liked the odd and the unusual. My list of cars I’ve owned would confirm that. If you have an RCZ find a mechanic that knows the engines and just keep them well maintained. We all know the bits that regularly pack in. Accept this, budget for it. Enjoy driving the car.
There also seems to be some obsession with slating the RCZ especially the R from some quarters, that just tells me what a great car it is!
the ones that survive will become collectible. Like all unusual and rare cars they will go through anger status and folk destroying them looking for cheap motoring and the ones that are left will become wanted.

She’s seething 😃

Fig

Reaction score
I like the comment about the Astra van, I had a Sportive 1.9cdti 150, and it the most fun you can have with a roof rack! A truly outstanding van.

As for the RCZ, mine’s perfect, best car I’ve owned by a margin.