What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

A newbie with a few questions

A

Anonymous

Hi all and thanks for having me here..

I'm Muzzy from Lewes in East Sussex... I will be the very proud owner of one of these beautiful machines very soon and would like to pick a few brains if you don't mind?

I'm sure my answers could be found if I searched hard enough but this might be easier and a nice way to interact as a newbie

Question 1... Petrol or diesel?
My annual mileage isn't high, probably under 6k per year so does it really matter although I prefer diesel for reliability and those little cost savings.

Question 2... Is there likely to be any mechanical issues with a diesel rcz due to the fact that my daily commute is less than 2.5 miles each way? I know of other diesel cars having filter clogging problems if the car isn't given a decent run regularly. I know I then have an excuse to go out in the evenings to blow any cobwebs out, which I'd be more than happy to do of course ;)

Question 3... Here is the car that I'm currently interested in http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-PEUGE ... Sw9N1V0fQ- I would appreciate your expert advice on whether this car is worth the asking price even though I'll haggle hard?! I am a cash buyer and am more than happy to wait and search out the right car for me.

Thanks in advance
Muzzy

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, that car looks really nice and sounds like it has the right sort of history and it's not over priced so could be worth a punt. You get a warrenty too!

I've got a petrol and love it but I think the deisel engine is probably more reliable than the petrol.
There is issues with the DPF clogging and not always with short journeys!
It's a catch 22 really but with a full pug service history you should be ok.

Good luck let us know how you get on :beer:

thornebt

Reaction score
It's a beautiful RCZ. Personally I would go for a petrol model as your commute is 2.5 miles each way - because of issues with the DPF. However, I've got a petrol and not diesel so there will be plenty of people on here who can be more specific about the likelihood of DPF issues. Or - just get a job that's much further away! Cheers. Bruce.

renegade79

Reaction score
stick with the petrol. the diesel needs to get good and hot before the DPF filter begins to work. on a cold day my HDI used to take nearly 10-12 mins motorway driving to get warm. your commute and annual mileage is too small to warrant a diesel. my advice would be get a 156 or 200thp. second hand market is full of them so you will pick one up. good luck...

A

Anonymous

Welcome :)

TBH, 2.5 miles each way isnt going to do any car any good, petrol or diesel, one of the reasons I walk to work except on a friday when I drive in the 2 miles in my 308 2ltr BlueHDI, at the end of the day she then gets a good 200 mile run, but running a car that doesnt really warm up will just lead to the engine getting coked up and that will end up being expensive to fix :(

My suggestion is forget about the diesel, the dpf will cause you all sorts of issues, go for the petrol and get a bike or a good set of walking shoes/boots, keep the car for the weekend when you can enjoy it and keep fit by cycling/walking to and from work ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone :)

Maybe I should have an rcz as a toy and use something else for my commute!

I've been driving a Volvo V70 for 4 years without any mechanical issues, but then again, they do go on forever!

I do prefer diesel so my choice is a difficult one to make in all honesty.

I'm not in a rush so I have plenty of time to research and consider all options. I will definitely be buying an rcz whatever though :D

I appreciate all the feedback

Kind regards
Muzzy

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who is doing a rawring trade in removing the DPF from various cars and re programming the ecu to ignore it and voilà no more DPF problems doesn't show on MOT test and the way the exhaust is re welded there's no evidence of the removal.
Could be a way to get round the Deisel's issues :eusa-think:

No more illegal than what VW etc have been up to??? :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Direct injection petrol engines suffer from coking if used for short journeys, vw's are reknown for this issue on their tfsi and fsi units, the prince engine also suffers from this issue so its not advisable to do short journeys.

Dpf's are a requirement for the mot and removing them is illegal, still, not getting a diesel up to temp will cause other issues apart from clogged dpf's and are best used for longer journeys.

2retro

Reaction score
Petrol, not diesel would be best. It's a modern car so it'll survive just fine with short daily commutes. Just take it our for a good blast at the weekends to make up for it (which you'll no doubt want to do anyway!) and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Eris

Reaction score
Not specifically an RCZ point, but as an environmental scientist, I reckon diesel cars are going to get hit hard with all sorts of regulations (for which read "owner's headaches"), in the not too distant future. Most will probably apply to new cars, but don't be surprised if some extend to older vehicles too. MOT tests might need to check there is actually something inside the dpf, for example.

If changes happen, there could be a negative effect on resale value. Might not happen of course, it's up to you to decide what's right for you.

A

Anonymous

Get the diesel. Have the dpf job done. As long as the mot person can visibly see the cat/dpf it wont fail. There is only a smoke test. Ive driven diesels for 20 years and they are a far better drive than a petrol. Its a torque thing, the pull.
Get a tuning box too from http://www.tuningkit.com/ Ive ran boxes for 15 years with no problems whatsoever on various manufacturers. Took my 165 to 210 bhp and makes the fuel economy better! More torque, less gear changes = better economy.