What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

A bad day for Plecodoras - Doh !

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Well Z'ers let me paint you a picture....

Went out yesterday for a quick spin across town to pic up some fish ( another story ) it was only about 6 miles. Now let me tell you that my rear nearside tyre always shows under pressure and need of blowing up.
Just done a spirited legal 70 mph drive up the outside slip road and plodding along nicely when the said tyre pops up showing needing air. Well as this always happens and knowing that I blew it up just the day before - I ignored it !
4 or 5 miles later after driving over several policemen - sorry sleeping policemen ( road bumps for non UK'ers ) I got to my destination, got out and thought I'll check the tyre. Well it was well and truely flat / red hot / with most of the lettering missing. This is what I found...

can you see that ? let me help....

Now I'm a Yorkshire man and don't like waste / love a bargain / and don't like paying more than I have to !!

Guess what? - just had MOT last week and tyres checked - you guessed it 8mm tread on rear 5mm on front....

Okay so a bit of a bummer.... Here's the good bit, I've just taken out extended warranty with punctures included - great I thought - no - it doesn't start until the manufacturers warranty ends at the end of the month.
Not to worry, I have all I need in the boot. A spare wheel, jack, pump, hi-vis - the lot.

Got it all out but not after grabbing a Japanese fellow who had just got out of his car. Now I thought I had a jack and could picture it at home, so I asked to borrow his. Gets all the contents of my emergency box out - I did have a jack but the wrong type but no locking wheel nut couldn't find it anywhere !!!! So, I'm thinking all sorts of bad things about the garage that did my service and MOT, they must have used it and not put it back !.
Well no option put everything back starting with the Japanese guys car wheel and jacking kit. Then put all my stuff in the emergency box - what falls out of my hi-vis - the locking wheel nut.
Now it starts to rain !
So I start all over again. Now remember the problem with the RCZ jacking points? this guys jack for his Mondeo 03 looked very much like this...

Okay not the best picture - in the rush of the moment I didn't take a picture of his, but it was almost identical with the cut out for our stupid jacking posts - it worked a treat. Though I had to use a lump hammer and some wood to get the wheel off. I even found either a staple or a big thorn in my spare wheel, but I left it in for now....

Just wondered now if this will be anygood for our Z's ...

So ruined a perfectly almost like new tyre and looks like it will be a cool £250 for a new one.

A quick question.... can I have conti's on the front and good year on the back? and what would the best conti's for the front? Not my day was it - and I only went out in a T-shirt, got soaked too. LOL

renegade79

Reaction score
it sounds like you'd been driving on it like that for a few miles. would that be correct? still, with the sidewall getting the brunt it was still unfixable even if you'd noticed it sooner. pain in the proverbial though... :eusa-whistle:

2retro

Reaction score
That's pretty bad luck and I really do feel for you but your way with words sure made me smile so thanks for posting!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
What a story :beer:

So I assume the blown tyre is one with the 5mm? Bad luck.
Why don't you want to stick to the excellent GoodYears instead of the Contis? Is it the price?

It reminds me of my very first month with my R. And a ride with a very nice girl in the shiny new R. And a serious puncture on the left rear as a result of: can I drive it for a moment, please? Can I?
I handed her the keys (I checked on her driving skills before, though) and off we went. It took us about 100 yards to go until I heard a loud thump and something was scrubbing the inner wheel arch. Instantly I knew: it is the tyres. She went from a big smile to green-colored face in a blink of a second and the only thing she managed to mumble was, oh god, did I break your car? oh jeez, is it going to be expensive? I should not have touched your car, I'm so sorry, etc etc.
It took me longer to calm her down than to assess the damage. There was a big nail sticking in the tyre and ripping the inner wheel arch with every rotation of the wheel. I hooked up the tyre fit system, sealed the hole and took that nail out. We have been able to continue our journey after about 20 minutes of tyre repair.

2retro

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
It reminds me of my very first month with my R. And a ride with a very nice girl in the shiny new R. And a serious puncture on the left rear as a result of: can I drive it for a moment, please? Can I?
I handed her the keys (I checked on her driving skills before, though) and off we went. It took us about 100 yards to go until I heard a loud thump and something was scrubbing the inner wheel arch. Instantly I knew: it is the tyres. She went from a big smile to green-colored face in a blink of a second and the only thing she managed to mumble was, oh god, did I break your car? oh jeez, is it going to be expensive? I should not have touched your car, I'm so sorry, etc etc.
It took me longer to calm her down than to assess the damage. There was a big nail sticking in the tyre and ripping the inner wheel arch with every rotation of the wheel. I hooked up the tyre fit system, sealed the hole and took that nail out. We have been able to continue our journey after about 20 minutes of tyre repair.
And then you popped the crucial question "A ride for a ride?"... :eusa-whistle:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
What a story :beer:

So I assume the blown tyre is one with the 5mm? Bad luck.
Why don't you want to stick to the excellent GoodYears instead of the Contis? Is it the price?

Yeah good one - no - 8mm rear !

No it's not the price just the noise with juddering on full lock. I cannot fault them otherwise and thought the general consensus was to change them for conti sports, but obviously I will have to get a matching goodyear at the back then two for the front after the european meeting before the Italian trip.
If it's better to stay with Eagle's then I shall, I just want what's best for the car.

Thanks and cheers for all the comments !!

Plecodoras

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
it sounds like you'd been driving on it like that for a few miles. would that be correct? still, with the sidewall getting the brunt it was still unfixable even if you'd noticed it sooner. pain in the proverbial though... :eusa-whistle:

Yes, for about 4 / 5 miles @ 70mph !

Just another day at the office :wtf:

:beer:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
2retro said:
RCZ-R said:
She was fifteen stone and it was her toenail ... you forgot to mention that! :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Two questions?

Now the sensors system on the car reads tyres not monitored, just previous to this it said all the tyres were flat !!
I guess once I pop the newly fitted wheel with tyre, it will after a while settle down?

Is this the correct tyre? not as expensive as I first thought.

I know mine are 235/40/ZR19 92Y and can the valve be re-used because they have the sensors in?

thanks

:beer: Cheers M.

bailey

Reaction score
I have contis on front and good year on back mick and haven't had any probs lol

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Ref Continentals. I have Sport contact somethings on the front of mine and it wheel spins at every opportunity when there's even the suggestion of moisture.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
2retro said:
RCZ-R said:

... and the reminder of this story is not suitable for a car forum :eusa-whistle: :lol: :lol:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
RCZIain said:
Ref Continentals. I have Sport contact somethings on the front of mine and it wheel spins at every opportunity when there's even the suggestion of moisture.

And that is common for Contis when they get a bit older. I'd stick to the GYs or Michelins for the RCZ. They suit them so well.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
If it's better to stay with Eagle's then I shall, I just want what's best for the car.

Thanks and cheers for all the comments !!

IMHO the best choice for the RCZ R is the new Michelin PS4s. Maybe even the PS4 is as brilliant as the PS4s are.
Quite expensive, yes, but also quite durable and versatile. This winter season I was able to run them safely down to 0°C without any issues like understeer in tight corners on cold tarmac. Which happens on "bad" tyres rather quickly on the RCZ R. On Pirellis you slide and understeer a lot with the RCZ.
But I also have very good memories of those GoodYear Assy 2. They were quiet, comfy, easy to handle on the limit. Just a great allrounders without being bland.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Is your middle name “LUCKY” by any chance? :eusa-whistle:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Is your middle name “LUCKY” by any chance? :eusa-whistle:

Well it's a peculiar thing because I was on a high - not a legal high before the back benches wake up !

But I'd just finished decorating the downstairs W/C and Mrs Plecodoras was more than chuffed, so the brownie points were well and truely flowing. So where all the bad karma came from that day I don't know. Maybe it was the learner driver that I overtook @ 70 on the slip road, the instructor will have said something similar to ....

Now don't drive your car like that not very high q, man who has no father !!!!

Anyway, tomorrow's another day.

Cheers ! M. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
bailey said:
I have contis on front and good year on back mick and haven't had any probs lol

Nice car there Bailey !!

Have you given it any beans yet Mick ! and if I recall you said the juddering stopped?

RCZ-R..

So, either stick with Eagles all round or get Michelin PS4s. Will these be ok if they are on the front only?

Thanks guys.

:beer: M.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have Michelin PS4s on the front. They have been excellent tyres, no understeer or wheelspin, they seem quieter than the Contis. They performed excellent in all the recent wet weather, although they were as useless as any I have had in the snow.
I still have the original Contis on the rear, obviously not trying hard enough to scrub them :eusa-think:

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Michelin PS4S on the front too. No probs, they’re fantastic. Just need the rears to wear out now!!