What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

270 bhp engine reliability.

Ian J.

Reaction score
So my employer has just decided that anyone claiming car allowance should be driving nothing more than 6 years old.
A new rule without any employee consultation but there you go.
So my RCZ is 6 years old in March and it looks like I'm very reluctantly going to have to change it.
One of the early contenders to replace it is a 308 GTI which has the same engine as the RCZR.

So my question is , is the 2018 model year 270BHP unit prone to the same problems as the RCZ 156thp circa 2015 - timing chains, coil packs, high pressure fuel pumps etc etc etc.
Or is it a different engine .

Dingers

Reaction score
Hi Ian, first of all I would question whether that new policy is actually legal or not as it is discriminating against you & others no doubt.
Secondly, I would've thought that the Gti's engine will have been updated for sure. How much of it has been carried over I'm not sure. I think a bit of research is required unless we have a current Peugeot technician on board .... ?

Ian J.

Reaction score
Thanks Dingers
Yes my thoughts also and will probably a make a fuss with HR but I work for a multi billion national so I'm guessing they've run it past the legals rather than the people actually affected by it.

Dingers

Reaction score
Just done a bit of searching and it appears that the engine block & internals are the same, but the mapping has been changed to give a broader spread of torque. The engine noise inside the cabin is augmented loudly by the speakers in Sport mode. Sounds quite weird ! You can hear it on Parker's website 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi sorry to but in on the thread The BMW prince 270 BHP engine is in the 308GTi it was developed when Peugeot wanted to introduce a platform of Engine's that would put the competition to the sword so to speak I believe they were a uprated version of the 200 BHP GT model with heavy duty pistons bigger intercooler & Turbo to take the increase force of torque & other mods the chain guides were beefed up in the facelift models 2013
The ballistic 270 BHP Engine is according to info data supposed to weigh less than Peugeots main 2 litre rivals boasting of high performance marques so it was certainly an eye opener when launched considering how much power it has from a 1.6 THP Engine
The only thing to keep the car running as its designed to is as you probably already know is servicing it properly

Flanners

Reaction score
or don't claim the car allowance

My understanding is PS/Peugeot heavily modified and re-engineered the THP 270 and it is the same lump whether in the R or Gti it was a Peugeot 'only' engine heavily revised from BMW specs/collaboration; R has different 2nd gear ratio and lower volume injectors (I think) that's it; the engine is currently with electric motors in the new 1.6 360bhp 508.

My experience with the R:
HPFP still a big issue
Cam Chain less so as per THP200's
DMF is an issue

Coil packs maybe but like most French cars they are service part more or less and cheap.

Huge amount of heat.....so oil checks, good oil, oil changes every few thou and coolant checked.

MisterX on here has 150K on his before it went pop. Unclear what went pop from his posts or why? I'm guessing a lack of oil.

Last edited:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
A 2018 308 GTi might already have the revised HPFP installed. I run on this replacement for over 100k miles without issues till the day I parted with my R. So that issue should be sorted by now.

Then the R engine on the GTi got a different, smaller downpipe + modifications to the exhaust header. While test driving I also had the impression the 308 engine was not that rev happy as my R engine. But this could be down to the engine break-in procedure.

The 308 also does not run as fast as the R when flat out. But I think this doesn't matter to you at all when in UK.

Don't worry too much about the coil packs. They just deteriorate with time and replacing them is not that pricey.