What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

2018 olive harvest under way - ALL DONE

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Olive harvest time is approaching and soon the 2018 crop will be attacked.
I wrote a huge WAFFLE last year, so will try to avoid repetition (difficult at my age).
Our chap has already surveyed the potential and after a bit of chin rubbing declared the yield down on last year.
So be it, "no pasa nada" as the locals would say, philosophically - so what! is a close approximate translation.
We still have a dozen garrafas (garrafa = 5 litre bottle) from last year.
This year, like last, our equipment includes a shaker - last year hired to try out, and then one purchased for this year's harvest.
I can hardly lift the bloody thing, it being a two stroke motor attached to an extendible pole over two metres long, which has a sort of hook like end.
That is placed over a branch and the machine's clutch engaged.
The whole crazy thing vibrates, including the operator, and hopefully the branch, which if cooperating, will drop all its fruit onto nets below.
Our friendly builder (built house and other stuff for us over the years) has been and scrounged a couple of buckets full for his old mum who processes them for the table, which she does every year.
You may not know, that most olives straight from the tree are quite bitter, so go to the press for the oil.
To eat, there is quite a lengthy process to make them palatable, including using strong chemicals to break down their sour flavour by curing them; caustic soda (lye), vinegar, salt and water are deployed with much rinsing between stages.
Get half a dozen experts together and you get six methods, each being THE best one.
Similarly there will be many discussions in the bars, with much disagreement, as to the right time to commence the harvest, the weather and crop condition being criteria.
The almazaras (presses) will be open for months, accepting olives as early as November and right through to maybe March.
Some, you pay for their processing and get what oil comes out from your fruit, whilst others award you a percentage based on the quality of your olives less a mark down which they will keep and flog as their own brand.
Our chap sniffs around for what he considers the best deal, at the time.
Again bar talk will weigh up the pros and cons of the presses.
So, as I write, I have no idea as to the quantity, nor the processing.
All will become clearer closer to Christmas, I am sure.

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Re: 2018 olives

We are motivated by the desire to maintain the finca in a traditional way, as we think it must have been for several hundred years.
It is interesting and time and money consuming, whilst not being very productive in terms of crop variety nor value.
What will happen when it is inherited by our family, we have no idea, because at the moment they all think we are crazy, and wasting our money.
One of the pleasures for us is to either show folk and/or explain everything, from the history to the processes we use today.
My WAFFLES are just another means of sharing our crazy world.

mick200gt

Reaction score

Good for you stewart nice to keep tradition going ,deffo didnt know about adding chemicals to the olives to make them pallitable

stewartwillsher

Reaction score

Like a dog with two wossnames, our chap has two hefty tools to aid the harvest, which has started.
The recent rain and wind has caused quite a fall of ripe olives, so the backpack two stroke blower is being used to blast the fruit already on the ground into piles.
The nets are laid below a tree, then the shaker hooked on each branch to vibrate the rest of the crop off the tree.
All are worked through the criba (huge steel sloping sieve) and into sacks to remove leaves, twigs, stones, etc.
On to next tree.
About a tenth of the over sixty trees done so far.

Attachments

• shaker.jpg
    shaker.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 727
  • blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 727
  • criba.jpg
    criba.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 726

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Re: 2018 olive harvest under way - UPDATE

Easy-peasy; lazy lord of the manor, this year.
Our chap and family have half the oil for their efforts, so as we get more decrepit, they seem to make more effort, probably because for the last decade, we have participated more, and also their effort is reduced now, with more machinery.
Today, our chap's son (his family get some of the oil), turned up, so after a quick lesson, he drove the ATV to shift sacks from round the finca to the main gate.
Me and the missus look at each other and ask "What are we needed for, now?"
Answer - nuffink!
With fourteen sacks, we have just over half a ton of olives; way down on our best of approx a ton and a half.
Tomorrow we are off to the almazara (press) where we have a slot in the afternoon.
They process them there and then, charge us per litre and then we'll be endowed with virgin oil for the year.

Attachments

• 2dec3.jpg
    2dec3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 2dec2.jpg
    2dec2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 674
  • 2dec1.jpg
    2dec1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 674

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Including a few sacks from our chap's trees, we took just under three quarters of a ton to the press.
We paid 13 cents a kilo for processing and came away with just over ninety litres of oil.
That oil would be sold retail for about thirty euros per five litre, so can be said to be worth to us all, about five hundred and fifty euros.
So you can see it ain't exactly a gold mine. but very rewarding and satisfying. :eusa-think:
And it is the dog's doo-dahs! [not sure of the equivalent Spanish term :oops: ]

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Testículos Perros

Or maybe

Bolas de Perros

:lol:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Testículos Perros

Or maybe

Bolas de Perros

:lol:
There is an urban legend that a Brit by the name of C.O.Jones, passing through the passport control of a Spanish airport, had the officials rolling on the floor! :lol:
Sounds like a load of bo11ox to me. :clap: