What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

2014 1.6 car turns over but will not start

Carole

Reaction score
Hi, I really hope someone can give me some advice on this?

I have just looked at a 2014 car that is in my price range (allowing for the repair that I think is required) but it is a non starter.
it turns over normally and has a permanent engine light on.
I have checked the oil and water and they look fine.
I have read the codes (OBD) and it is showing P0341 which I believe is cam shaft.

I have allowed up to £1000 to £1500 for repairs not knowing for sure that there is nothing more wrong with gearbox/clutch bushes brakes and coil spring issues as I have not been able to drive the car, am I correct in my diagnosis of possible timing kit and or new sensor?

And is it worth taking the risk in your opinion?

The car is currently at £3500 and 58,000 miles.

Thanks for looking and any advice you may be able to offer.

ps. I know that any advice would be just that and nothing binding the final choice of to buy or not is mine and mine alone.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have the registration number you can do a check to see previous mot's etc and might point out some things that may be of interest.... Good luck 🤞

Pedro

Reaction score
P0341- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A Bank1 - range performance problem which might be the ECU getting signals reading Camshafts out of position
Maybe the Cam/Crankshaft sensor has failed as both can send conflicting messages to the (PCM) Power Control Module therefore the ECU cannot determine at what position the Crank or Cams are set for the correct timing starting cycle which basically means it protects the engine from serious damage by blocking the ignition's command prompt for the engine to power up
Hope you can understand all this jargon

Last edited:

Carole

Reaction score
If you have the registration number you can do a check to see previous mot's etc and might point out some things that may be of interest.... Good luck 🤞
Thanks Verminator, yes I do this as standard and it's a great start before you even go and look at any car's I would recommend everyone do it, just go to "check the MOT history of a vehicle" at gov.uk

Carole

Reaction score
P0341- Camshaft position (CMP) sensor A Bank1 - range performance problem which might be the ECU getting signals reading Camshafts out of position
Maybe the Cam/Crankshaft sensor has failed as both can send conflicting messages to the (PCM) Power Control Module therefore the ECU cannot determine at what position the Crank or Cams are set for the correct timing starting cycle which basically means it protects the engine from serious damage by blocking the ignition's command prompt for the engine to power up
Hope you can understand all this jargon
Yes got that I think it could be a sensor but mu partner thought she could hear a rattling sound from the left hand side so going for chain etc to be on the safe side, however I'm a bit puzzled as to why the owner has not tried the easy fix? Or is it just me being too wary of buying a pup?

Pedro

Reaction score
The rattle could be the chain as most of these engines do so when cold starting Your code is pointing to the sensor but it might be a wiring fault to the sensor which the seller is possibly overlooking
I personally would want to hear it running before buying as non runners are being offloaded for a specific reason it may be a simple straight forward fix or it could be a red flag sale which may turn out to be very costly to put right depending on mechanical & electrical condition which you won't know with a non starter
Is this a Private or garage sale & is there any service history?

JC1

Reaction score
I would walk away and buy one that works

Last edited:

Carole

Reaction score
Well guy's looks like it was worth getting some advice, made up my mind that it sounds too good to be true, so I got a report from CarVirticle...
Turns out it was written off at the beginning of last year and just after that it went through another MOT when an oil leek was an advisory, the seller must have forgotten to tell me that, said it was just a bumper and a headlight!
Keep looking :)

Richk

Reaction score
That's probably all the repair was, doesn't take a lot these days to put a car in Cat N or even Cat S these days.