What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

2.0 hdi or 1.6 thp 200?

Diazz

Reaction score
I want to purchase a rcz from around 2011-2012 and from what i read the petrol engine is like playing russian roulette… It s that true? The diesel seem to be a lil bit boring idk

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
I want to purchase a rcz from around 2011-2012 and from what i read the petrol engine is like playing russian roulette… It s that true? The diesel seem to be a lil bit boring idk
Diesels can be great, I've got a 5cyl 2.4 Turbo in my Alfa 159 and it's got loads of torque and plenty of tuning potential. Of course, the upkeep is a bit more due to particulate filter and EGR etc. but depends what you're like with cars. Do you enjoy a bit of maintenance yourself and take an interest in the technical details?

Kenneth

Reaction score
I’ve got a 200. After reading many a forum on these cars and issues be been expecting the thing to spontaneously combust at any moment. But it’s been fantastic.

forums are a good thing but I think they can make some folk a bit paranoid. Every car I’ve owned for the last 20 years after reading the model dedicated forums I was certain that something catastrophic was around the corner

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
I’ve got a 200. After reading many a forum on these cars and issues be been expecting the thing to spontaneously combust at any moment. But it’s been fantastic.

forums are a good thing but I think they can make some folk a bit paranoid. Every car I’ve owned for the last 20 years after reading the model dedicated forums I was certain that something catastrophic was around the corner
Exactly. A friend of mine is the paranoid type, when we discuss cars he always has the idea that certain cars or brands are trash just because he heard some bad things.

But I'm used to the hand wringing from people who don't have any real understanding of cars. I've owned plenty of japanese imports and had to deal with peoples misperceptions the entire time. When I got a Skyline 370gt (V36), several people were saying I was basically a fool for getting it saying things like what was I going to do if it broke down etc. until I pointed out that it's basically a 370z with a different skin.

I think it's the usual issue you see in all spheres of life, people hear things and take them onboard without following up themselves and increasing their own knowledge, they just run with whatever they're told.

lfe

Reaction score
Keep in mind that diesel cars have more and more restrictions for driving inside cities.

Furthermore, for me a petrol sports car is more fun than a diesel, stretching the gears to the rev limit is a pleasure and in a diesel that rev limit is so low.

The THP engine has less problems if it is well maintained, in addition other engines also have problems, TSI, Puretech, and also the HDI is not free of problems, starting with the particulate filter, EGR, etc.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Keep in mind that diesel cars have more and more restrictions for driving inside cities.
Good point. I'm in Australia so didn't even consider that, you reminded me that Europe is definitely a different world when it comes to cars. I guess that's why the VW group cheated lol

Kenneth

Reaction score
Exactly. A friend of mine is the paranoid type, when we discuss cars he always has the idea that certain cars or brands are trash just because he heard some bad things.

But I'm used to the hand wringing from people who don't have any real understanding of cars. I've owned plenty of japanese imports and had to deal with peoples misperceptions the entire time. When I got a Skyline 370gt (V36), several people were saying I was basically a fool for getting it saying things like what was I going to do if it broke down etc. until I pointed out that it's basically a 370z with a different skin.

I think it's the usual issue you see in all spheres of life, people hear things and take them onboard without following up themselves and increasing their own knowledge, they just run with whatever they're told.
The bulk of car

modern drivers pretty much expect to jump in a car and drive it with no issues ever. And don’t expect to check out hinge like oil and coolant or whatever. The original service intervals on most modern cars are lengthy and “tinkering” invalidates warranties and stuff like that. It encourages folk to be hands off owners really. The RCZ hasn’t been made for the thick end of a decade now anyway and some of them will have been owned by folk that never really bothered with them other than slinging them in the very couple of years when a light came in to remind them a mechanic needs look at it. If you look after the basics you’ll avoid a lot of the problems that seem to crop up. Parts will fail over time regardless. They are older cars anyway now and you can expect to be doing that type of work on any older car. I wouldn’t be afraid of them TBH. My dad has a Mercedes and it’s in and out for various things since he bought it new. Cars aren’t white goods yet where you just stick them in place and they do their thing with no maintenance at all. Some cars are better performing under neglectful owners than others. The RCZ isn’t one of them. Keep an eye on the basics and you have a much better chance with it. Parts will still fail in due course but that’s no different from other cars. Just enjoying driving them. They are all good drivers cars. All of them.

Kerr

Reaction score

Furthermore, for me a petrol sports car is more fun than a diesel, stretching the gears to the rev limit is a pleasure and in a diesel that rev limit is so low.

The THP engine has less problems if it is well maintained, in addition other engines also have problems, TSI, Puretech, and also the HDI is not free of problems, starting with the particulate filter, EGR, etc.

The diesel RCZs are Euro 5 and already subject to ULEZ charges.

I wouldn't be buying any diesel car and more so one that is already outwith ULEZ requirements.

will_berry70

Reaction score
The diesel is the better buy. A dyno tune and electronic throttle controller will wake it right up.
Watch this video of the petrol vs diesel on the race track.

Petrol vs Diesel RCZ
And if you're in the UK, there's a first rate place, 'Celtic Tuning', offering a heavy discount on a stage 1 remap till Xmas.

will_berry70

Reaction score
The 200 is meant to be more robust than the 156, and the diesel the toughest of the bunch. You'll want a proper service history regardless., of course.

Johnny AUS

Reaction score
And if you're in the UK, there's a first rate place, 'Celtic Tuning', offering a heavy discount on a stage 1 remap till Xmas.
Have you had a Celtic remap done on yours?
We have a Celtic authorised dealer here in Sydney, not too far from me. I'm still weighing up my tuning options.

will_berry70

Reaction score
I'm about to next Monday. Certainly 9n paper they look pretty good compared to the competition and it should be a proper dyno remap rather than anything generic.

will_berry70

Reaction score
Just watched that video....didn't realise at first the petrol was the 200, and the HDi still almost kept up with it!
Great video, thanks for sharing :)