What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

1st short run

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
OK, hardly worth a write-up, but am well impressed, and first run, so WAFFLE.
RCZ needed fuel and no appropriate journeys imminent, so took off to a gas station we often use, about thirteen kms from home.
Prior to this, I had only driven the one and a half kms from our Pug garage to home, so these are my first real impressions.
Engine not really cold as outside temp was about thirty C.
Smooth and quiet, despite the Remus quad exhaust system.
Pulling away, up through the gears as fast as I could change them, so I like the nippiness, that I thought I might have lost.
The road is twisty, and 90kph, except a couple of limits of 70, one of 60 and one 50.
Did not abuse them by much [blush!], so touching 120 in places [ahem].
Nor did I "test" the brakes, but very progressive and balanced, and going down through the gears not really needed for retardation.
RCZ sits nice and snug on the road, so not comparable with the bus (5008), nor the 108, which can hop about a bit being small and light.
Tail end seemed well planted, unlike many front wheel drive hot hatches (I've had a couple) that can feet very light arsed.
Putting my foot down on a couple of occasions, through the gears, did not highlight turbo lag, if indeed there was any.

Caused a bit of a stir at the garage; big chap who often serves us, waved his arms around and jabbered with his mates as I pulled in.
He had seen the zero a few times and always asked after it and knew I was flogging it, but here I was in a classy motor not something crazy, nor completely sober either.
All changed when I insisted on diesel; turned his nose up so I had to do a bit of hard sell to reclaim kudos and cred.

On the return run, the road climbs from the plain of the Rio Tietar up into the foothills of the Sierra de Gredos, so approximately an increase in altitude of 200mtrs in about five kms; fairly steep in places but good road with sweeping bends.
Initially in fifth in a 70kph limit, but swiftly into sixth and pulling as if there was no incline, at over 100kph, 120 where straight-ish.
Then, out of interest, testing the torque, used only fifth and sixth the rest of the way home, including a short 50kph limit stretch.
What a superb power band that 2.0 HDI has!

My learning curve was reduced somewhat, as the similarities with the 5008 are quite remarkable, apart from the obvious, sharing so many of the controls (same year of manufacture, even), so I could focus on the feel of the car more.
Comfort is same but different, if that makes sense, in that the arm chairs of the 5008 become the sport style of the RCZ, but equally supportive laterally with adjustments in all directions.
Madam fiddled with them all and declared the seating adequate; an accolade, indeed.
She was quite happy for me to blat on the outward journey, nodding approval to the G force, but then she is one of the very few who "relaxed" as a passenger in the Zero.
The return leg showed the almost Jekyll and Hyde character of the RCZ, which can lift up its skirts and run, or walk sedately.

I look forward to a long run, after which I will, unless there are objections, produce a commentary.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Really glad your happy with your new Z :thumbup: with your experience of lighter quicker cars I think you’ve given your diesel a glowing review, never driven a diesel Z but sounds comparable to the petrol version. The RCZ is a truly all round brilliant car Enjoy! :dance:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Me too !

So pleased that you are happy with your purchase - but I knew you would be all along !

My first experience with a Z was a weasel and it did feel very planted, though comparing it to my R ( not fair really )
you could tell the extra weight. The R is very very planted.

I don't think you would have been disappointed with any of the Z's in the range, it really is a very accomplished car.

Happy motoring and look forward to a further review whence you've tickled the throttle for a longer time. :thumbup:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Reflectiv said:
Nothing wrong with the Diesel..My HDi is loved..:D

I'm not belittling the Diesel, not at all - I love em too hence my first ride was in one ! and if things had panned out differently, I too would be the proud owner of one. :thumbup:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Reflectiv said:
Nothing wrong with the Diesel..My HDi is loved..:D

I'm not belittling the Diesel, not at all - I love em too hence my first ride was in one ! and if things had panned out differently, I too would be the proud owner of one. :thumbup:

Sorry to swear on this forum introducing the "A" marque, but this oil burner should show those with prejudices (like my gas station chap) that they can be considered serious performers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R10_TDI

renegade79

Reaction score
Stewart, best of luck with the new Z. I had the hdi for 3 years and apart from a stone making a hole in the a/c radiator and a couple of DPF dashboard warning lights, the Z never let me down. The HDi is a heavy lump up front making the car feel very planted and surefooted particularly in wet road conditions. Make sure you take it for some long runs regularly to get that exhaust nice and hot so the DPF can do its job. Enjoy those random conversations at gas stations when people come up to you and ask you what kind of car it is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk