What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

18" standard Alloy wheel corroding

A

Anonymous

hi, this week i was cleaning my car and i have noticed that one of the front alloys is corroding, a hairline has developed @ the edge of the rim, in some places the hairline has cracked and the laquer is pealing off. Did you experience any wheel corrosion with your cars? It only has 4000 Km on the clock and it is 4 to 5 months old. I will be speaking with the dealer today to see if they will be replacing it.

A

Anonymous

You are not the first to report this. We have had a few reports of cracked wheels, despite the owners being confident that they have not caused such damage. See how your dealer treats your case.

A

Anonymous

I do not think it’s a cracked wheel. I looked at the rest of the wheels and it seems that the lacquer at the outer lip is sort of joined to the inner lacquer coating; you can see a very fine thread. If this is not correctly applied I may imagine that water will gradually seep in and starts to corrode the inner aluminum.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've not seen any reports of corrodoing on the 18" wheels before. I have them and mine are all okay. I would take the car to the dealer for them to have a look at.

A

Anonymous

Seen that kind of damage when excessive pressure washing has been used

A

Anonymous

I only washed my car twice with a power wash. All the cleaning is done using a normal hose pipe connected to the tap or else using a bucket of water and a brush. I have sent a mail to the dealer; I will also take some photos today to send them to him.

A

Anonymous

Was tempted to use it but did not use any. As said the car is new and the wheels are easily cleaned. Maybe the dealer used some agent to clean it before handing it over to me. Any ways I had other cars with alloys and I did not experience any probs with the method I use to clean. Even used power wash services and none corroded after 3 to 4 years.. Tomorrow I will be going to the dealer for a check and hopefully it gets replaced.

A

Anonymous

The dealer insisted that it is not corroding. The strange thing is that the lacquer is still peeling off. He has agreed to replace the rym once the new ostock arrives.

A

Anonymous

gatt767 said:
The dealer insisted that it is not corroding.
The strange thing is that the lacquer is still peeling off.
He has agreed to replace the rim once the new stock arrives.

Good news that you've got a replacement - keep up the pressure, out of sight usually means out of mind :thumbdown:

There's been a few Wheel Issues. Try a search on:

Cracked Alloy Wheel by Stephenm - 22 July 2011
Cracked Wheel by VASS - 4 June 2011
Alloy Wheel - Midnight Silver Corrosion - Contains a good post by FGRob on 13 August 2011, which I've pasted below:

"I had all 4 alloys replaced, standard GT 19", due to corrosion - no problems with Peugeot replacing them, took some photo's and within a week they were replaced.

One of the factors not helping the situation was the very aggressive cleaner used by the dealer, I think they left it on for too long and certainly did not remove it all from the back of the spokes, which is where my bubbling started from.

Rob."

You should be okay now as your Dealer has promised replacements :clap:
You've got plenty of evidence to quote to him though if you do encounter any difficulties.

Good Luck :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Today the dealer phoned to go and replace the alloy. On arriving, and being kept for approx an hour waiting i was informed that one of the alloys have been installed on another car and that they need to re order. apart that i had to take the afternoon off to go and get the car and drive to the dealer i now need to wait for another 3 weeks :-(

A

Anonymous

Washing your wheels with a power washer should be avoided, when my car was new , 9 mths ago I polished the wheels with Mer wheel wax, again last mth ready for the winter, still look brand new, cleaning them is a doddle.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Washing wheels with a power washer won't harm your alloys. The thing to remember when using a power washer is to not get too close to the car, spray at a 45 degree angle and keep the power washer moving. You are only trying to remove grime and brake dust before you start cleaning them with your own particular means to avoid inflicting scratches. Yes sealing the alloys is always recommended and does make cleaning the alloys very easy. Shampoo and water is all you need.

A

Anonymous

Kindly, note that finally my alloy wheel got replaced with a new shiny wheel.

Thanks

Rob

RCZ1

Reaction score
18" standard Alloy wheel corroding

BespokeCarCare said:
Just a question are these wheels diamond cut fronts ?

I'm not sure. I recently had one of mine refurbished and the guy explained things to me in very simple terms. He said they had a sort of " film" on them, does that help any? :)

A

Anonymous

Any close up pictures of anyone of the fronts of the alloys that people been haveing problems with