What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

156 exhaust note

A

Anonymous

I have a new 156bhp gt and love it . However Ive found out that the 200bhp has this sound system that amplifies the engine note and makes it louder .

Can this be done or can you recommend anyway of getting this on my 156thp gt ?

A

Anonymous

Not as it stands Rick. However, the option to amplify the sound within the cabin is shortly going to he available as an option for the 156 version once the facelifted model drops. It may be possible to retrofit this but this is speculation at the time as I was unable to get a direct answer from Peugeot as to which options will be possible to retrofit to the mk1.

A

Anonymous

I was under the impression that this "sound box" was an optional extra on the 156GT but standard on the 200GT. It is fitted behind the bulk head and gives a deeper throaty sound on acceleration.

I was definitely told at point of sale that this "sound box" is part of the optional 156 GT "sports pack" upgrade .
If I recall it included the sound box, shorter sports gear lever and smaller steering wheel with the RZC badge.
I think the cost was around £350 for the package, but they were included as standard on the 200GT, but dont hold me to that :eusa-think:

I did opt for the upgrade so it's definitely available, at least it was when I purchased my RCZ.
Maybe Peugeot have dropped this optional extra from the new model 156GT :eusa-think:

Did'nt know there was another gizmo on offer that could be added to alter the sound. :eusa-think:

It does give a nice throaty sound in the cabin, not sure though if this can be heard outside. :?:

RCZ1

Reaction score
The Sports pack is an option on the current model and the forthcoming new model on the 156. Not sure that it can be fitted retrospectively.

A

Anonymous

Thinking back I'm sure Marcus said something about the "Sound Box" thingy being dropped from the package on future orders. :eusa-think:

It's a while ago but I can remember a conversation about it being included in the package I had but there was talk of it being dropped from the package on future orders.

Maybe this has now happened, the sports option pack is available for the 156 GT, however not now with a sound box :eusa-think:

I get all :crazy: if I think too hard. :? :lol:

A

Anonymous

This was part of the Peugeot press release that Tony posted regarding the "new" model:

You'd think it'd be possible to get this retro fitted... :eusa-think:

RCZ1

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
This was part of the Peugeot press release that Tony posted regarding the "new" model:

You'd think it'd be possible to get this retro fitted... :eusa-think:

That's what I was trying to find but don't you think it strange that it says it's standard on the Sport 156 and 200 GT and Sport? So you have to pay extra to have it on the 156 GT. doesn't sound right? It's not mentioned in the Spec list for the new RCZ either. I'm very confused.

A

Anonymous

I had to pay the extra, sure it was around the £350 mark for my 156 GT.

Reading that spec release its still a paid for option on the 156 GT. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replys guys find it really useful this website.

Anyone had the exhausts changed on there rcz to improve sound.

Just want it to sound louder and deeper .

Tempted to test drive the 200bhp and see if I can hear the difference .

A

Anonymous

Rick245 said:
Thanks for the replys guys find it really useful this website.

Anyone had the exhausts changed on there rcz to improve sound.

Just want it to sound louder and deeper .

There are a number of members that have upgraded their exhausts. The man with the answers is RCZperformance. He also sells a range of the best performance exhaust on the market for the RCZ. Visit his shop for the full range and also search for "RCZ Ruffer exhaust" on YouTube to hear the results of a performance exhaust. Bear in mind that this could invalidate your warranty but it will provide the best results.

A

Anonymous

Rick245 said:

I have driven both and in my opinion they sound just the same, taking into account that my 156 GT does have the "sound box" option fitted.

As for feeling different to drive, then yes they are different, the 200 being a lot stiffer and dare I say it an harder, even uncomfortable drive, but thats just my opinion.

Joske

Reaction score
Sint-Huibrechts-Hern - Limburg - Flanders
Rick245 said:
I have a new 156bhp gt and love it . However Ive found out that the 200bhp has this sound system that amplifies the engine note and makes it louder .

Can this be done or can you recommend anyway of getting this on my 156thp gt ?

Yes it can be build in afterwards. BUT...

A mate of mine who works at a local dealer had to build the soundsystem in a stock THP156 after delivery.

Dealer would say it's impossible because it's a lot of work.

A

Anonymous

I was under the impression that it's something do with the air intake / air filter housing and is located behind the bulk head.
I cant imagine that it would be too difficult to add.

A

Anonymous

Joske said:
Dealer would say it's impossible because it's a lot of work.

Yeah but the dealer wants the customer to pay an extra £300 or more for an optional extra that probably costs a couple of quid.

The upgrade cost £320 inc VAT, and that was nearly 2 years ago. I just dug out the Invoice.
Its called "Sports Interior Kit" and includes a, RCZ Sports Steering Wheel, Co-ordinated Sports Gear Knob, and the " Engine Sound Enhancer Box" .

A

Anonymous

The price of options really is unjustifiable!! Thanks for that info!! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Having just taking the girlfriends dash to bits in the second hand PT cruiser I got for her (had to do it multiple times for different issues) I can see how they would charge so much as a cars interior is generally designed not to come apart and they are fiddly as hell

A

Anonymous

I think the "sound Box" in question is behind the bulk head in the engine bay, and is part of the air filter housing.
So any adjustments would be done from inside the engine bay.

A

Anonymous

O well if it's in the engine bay then it shouldn't be too difficult for a decent mechanic to carry out.

On a similar note I noticed that the exhaust noise sounded a bit more aggressive when I fitted the quad exhaust. I put this down to the gases now coming up into the body across the back.