What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

1.6THP 156 AT6 modifications/rebuild for decent power. Parts needed, advices.

GEONIC

Reaction score
Gents,

I am writting here because, I am in a desperate position right now. I am balancing between selling my RCZ or investing some money in order to have a decent ride.
I love the car by all means but I am more than decieved by the motorisation.
I have a 1.6 THP 156 hp AT6, I also tried a manual 1.6 THP 200, to be honest I did not felt a difference between them.
Both motorisations are excelent in converting gas to noise.
Zero performance, only noise.

I am used to 330d and 407 Coupe GT (3.0HDI) and my driving style is ON/OFF.

In order to be exact and avoid missleading discussions let me describe the situation:
- The car is in perfect condition mechanically
- Intake vales have been cleaned
- Oil change is done each 6000km to 7000km
- Gearbox oil has been changed
- Water pump has been changed
However even if the car is in perfect mechanical condition my fuel consumption is 9% on national roads and 12% on the mountain roads/twisties. Urban driving Bucharest I get between 15% and 18%
Also with 5w40 I get ge best oil consumption performance, meaning 1l of oil for 2000km in sport driving on mountain roads and 1l of oil for 5000km of motorway or national roads.
With the "recomended" 0W30 😀 I get "only" 1l for 300km sport driving and 1l for 1000km normal driving.

I practice motocross as a hobby so Thank God I have the reflex of checking oil level and coolant level before each "race" driving session, when talking about cars too.

I honestly believe (and feel) that the 1.6THP is from Briggs & Stratton from a lawn mower.
Sometimes, especially when climbing on mountain roads I feel like I need a donkey attached to my car in order to be able to climb.

Huge fuel consumptuion and a lot of (stupid & inneficient) exhaust noise, especially compared to the 3.0d motorisations that I am used to and that I mentioned above.

OK. You got the big picture till now I think.

Maybe I am not the only one who feels the same about the 1.6THP 156 or 200.

I would like to know from your experience, what have you done on order to gain a decent amount of power from the "Briggs & Stratton 1.6THP" engine.
What modifications have you done?
What parts have you bought? From what sites? A few links would help.
I believe I will have to buy:
-Bigger turbo
-Forged pistons
-Stronger Valve Springs
-Forged Pistons
-Stronger Crank Shaft Bearins, or a new Crank Shaft as well.
-Steonger fuel pump
-Increased CC volume injectors
-NOTE that the automatic Gearbox cannot withstand more than 300-320nm this will be the main limitation of my 1.6thp tunning.

Please advise also where in Europe have you made the modifications, at what mechanical shops or fabricators, did you went.

I am fine with huge fuel consumptions and 1000km to 2000km oil change intervals as long as I receive some decent power.

But in the curent situation I have hard times to accept outstanding fuel consumption figures and the feeling that when I am accelerating, I am going backwards not forward.

Thank you

20221014_180102.jpg

Pedro

Reaction score
You could try a stage 1-2 remap & bigger intercooler/Turbo & changing the air intake as for the 200 they also gain more power by this method but they already have a twin scroll turbo you could maybe consider dropping the Ballistic 270 R engine/manual G/Box into it with a software upgrade?

NF7

Reaction score
Stage1 remap to build some Nm and it will feel like a different engine.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Stage one remap will be best thing as you will notice the difference in power and fuel consumption will be better...... One question l have noticed that you have got a towbar fitted.... What do you tow.. and are you towing anything when going around the mountain roads..
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

lfe

Reaction score
Sports driving with a traditional automatic gearbox, like the ones that were installed in some RCZs, for me it is quite frustrating, accelerating, unless you go full throttle the car changes gear at too few revolutions. With a petrol car if you want power you need to go at high revs.

Also it changes gear with delay, with manual gear you predict when you should change, with the automatic when he wants, usually late.

GEONIC

Reaction score
You could try a stage 1-2 remap & bigger intercooler/Turbo & changing the air intake as for the 200 they also gain more power by this method but they already have a twin scroll turbo you could maybe consider dropping the Ballistic 270 R engine/manual G/Box into it with a software upgrade?
Do you know links that I can use as inspiration for projects or people who modified theblittle 1.6thp? I saw on the internet a few 1.6thp 156hp modified to 255hp but no details. At least I know it is possible.

GEONIC

Reaction score
Stage1 remap to build some Nm and it will feel like a different engine.
I had remapped stock engines from 1.5d to 2.0d 2.2d and 3.0d.
The only time when the money spent on the stock engine remaps, really had an effect, was on the 3.0d engines... I mean "what a beast" was the final reaction compared to the normal engine map.

Only with remap the small 1.6thp 156 will get 190hp and from 240nm it will go to 300nm. Nothing special.

GEONIC

Reaction score
Stage one remap will be best thing as you will notice the difference in power and fuel consumption will be better...... One question l have noticed that you have got a towbar fitted.... What do you tow.. and are you towing anything when going around the mountain roads..
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

20220723_121018.jpg20220212_135452.jpgI tow my motorcycles. 20220212_092944.jpg

GEONIC

Reaction score
Sports driving with a traditional automatic gearbox, like the ones that were installed in some RCZs, for me it is quite frustrating, accelerating, unless you go full throttle the car changes gear at too few revolutions. With a petrol car if you want power you need to go at high revs.

Also it changes gear with delay, with manual gear you predict when you should change, with the automatic when he wants, usually late.
I know what you say but 90% when I drive the RCZ I drive it in manual, due to the lack of power and confused gearbox.

NF7

Reaction score
I had remapped stock engines from 1.5d to 2.0d 2.2d and 3.0d.
The only time when the money spent on the stock engine remaps, really had an effect, was on the 3.0d engines... I mean "what a beast" was the final reaction compared to the normal engine map.

Only with remap the small 1.6thp 156 will get 190hp and from 240nm it will go to 300nm. Nothing special.
You cannot compare diesel engines with petrol as their power balance differes due to compression of the fuel.

Moreover 25% of Nm is not a small difference.

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Do you know links that I can use as inspiration for projects or people who modified theblittle 1.6thp? I saw on the internet a few 1.6thp 156hp modified to 255hp but no details. At least I know it is possible.
An intercooler would be a good upgrade as its small in the 156thp stock, since the gearbox can reliably handle up to 320nm you can go stage 2 with a bigger turbo one of a 208 gti or a get the standard rebuilt hybrid turbo. 220-230hp with torque limited to 310 320nm is possible

lfe

Reaction score
Power =Torque x revs

Assuming that the engine gives maximum power with similar revs, as it usually happens with remapping

By a simple formula, if the original version gives 156HP and 240Nm then with 320 Nm limit the power will be no more than:

156*320/240=208HP

JazzyRCZ

Reaction score
Power =Torque x revs

Assuming that the engine gives maximum power with similar revs, as it usually happens with remapping

By a simple formula, if the original version gives 156HP and 240Nm then with 320 Nm limit the power will be no more than:

156*320/240=208HP
I'm running 225hp and 300nm on my 200 so it is possible, the tuner limited torque as my flywheel/clutch is on it way out

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
the oil consumption is not normal so you need to change your pistons
also your automatic gearbox is a big no for performance
just sell it
if you want performance you need forged pistons (or R's pistons), R's turbo or a K04, bigger exhaust, bigger intercooler and for me manual gearbox from 200 or R
with these modifications you can go up to 300hp but it is still a heavy car
i have 260hp with stock engine and K03s turbo

GEONIC

Reaction score
Isuse solved😉. I have bought C5 Tourer 3.0HDI, it îs a pleasure to drive in national roads and motorways, compared to the 1.6thp.
I stilul have the RCZ, probably I will keep it.