What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Windscreen Wiper Woes

A

Anonymous

My RCZ (1 year old this Nov) windscreen wipers were juddering across the screen in drizzle or very light rain, dealer cleaned screen & wipers -no difference so recommended new wipers £90+ inc vat. Now after being out in the light rain again the wipers are making a noise mostly drivers side when they reach sides of screen, seems like the screen is too dry, seem ok when rain is heavier. Any ideas or what I can try on windscreen to cure annoyance and what do other owners clean the screen and wipers with. Thanks :p

A

Anonymous

The pink screen wash from Halfrauds cures it. I had the same problem. When the blades are new they seem to need lubricating and the pink stuff has a lubricant. I don't have problems anymore and it smells nice!!!

A

Anonymous

£90 for wipers - are Puggit having a laugh????? .... just checked Ebay ... shame you can't get them there yet, that's usually where I get my blades from!

A

Anonymous

As has been advised, lubing the wipers will sort you.

Alternatively, get a bit or Rain-X on the front / rear screens - you don't need the wipers then :thumbup:

I have to "dust" my wipers down each month from lack of use :eusa-whistle:

With regard replacement parts, there's going to be a few of us surprised by how much these are going to cost.
It might be a Peugeot, although Peugeot need to claw back all that money they've invested in the design, etc.
Hopefully, all purchasers have factored this in before buying the car.

A

Anonymous

yes RainX..... and if you want to clean wiper blades Meths works wonders (just don't drink it)

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to those who have replied, had tried cleaning the blades before but just with glass cleaner will get some of the Halfords smelly stuff and give it another go. I use rainex on side windows and rear but never tried it on windscreen. Surely will not work in town or slow traffic as no wind to push the droplets off or am I missing something. As I said before many thanks for posting

A

Anonymous

bottlecollector said:
Surely will not work in town or slow traffic as no wind to push the droplets off or am I missing something.

Yes, I keep forgetting how many "Townies" are on here / bought this car.

'Tis true that Rain-X is not as effective at the lower speed on the front windscreen.
Rear Screen / Side Windows no problem at low speed.

Could try the Product promoted by RCZ1 - This may be better for the slower / town speeds.

Hope you get sorted soon :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:
Hopefully, all purchasers have factored this in before buying the car.

I think the majority of us would have the intellegence to realise that tyres, wheels, servicing etc could all incur premium prices but 'little' things like wipers costing £90+ is taking the mick, they're not any different to other wipers, sadly not diamond encrusted as I would expect at those kind of prices...... (oh maybe that would sctrach the windscreen though :lol: )

A

Anonymous

I have also had this smudgy noisy wiper problem, which has only occured after I applied Gardx rain reppellent to the screen , everything was fine until I put that stuff on the screen.

I've tried cleaning it off but I still get smudges and juddering in light to medium rain, also changed the blades.

It does seem to be a "lubrication" thing because when I use the screen washer the smudging and juddering stops, but it comes back with rain :eusa-think:

I've tried polishing the screen, also tried cleaning the screen and blades with lemon (read that on here somewhere) and I tried bicarb in warm water, which did seem to cure the problem for a little while, apparantly the paste cuts into any contamination without harming the glass.

Any more ideas for this annoying problem would be appreciated.
Thanks.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Claying your windscreen would probably help to remove the Gardx and anything that is on there, so that you can start afresh.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Claying your windscreen would probably help to remove the Gardx and anything that is on there, so that you can start afresh.

K,
I've never tried claying, so how do i go about it ?

A

Anonymous

You could buy yourself a Karcher window vac they are great for cleaning your windows plus it's great around the home to :)

RCZ1

Reaction score
jactac said:
RCZ1 said:

K,
I've never tried claying, so how do i go about it ?

Buy yourself a Meguiars clay kit and some Quick Detailer lube from Halfords
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255233

Put the clay in some hot water to make it more pliable for a while. Then tear the clay in half or smaller if you wish, you shouldn't have to use the a whole bar. Spray the clay bar with lube and spray the windscreen, as you go, making sure there is always plenty of moisture before you move onto the next bit of glass. Place the clay into the palm of your hand with your fingers outstretched and gently, without any pressure, rub the clay back and forth over the glass - side to side in straight lines. Just do a small area at a time. You will probably feel the clay grabbing as you move it across the glass, this is taking off contaminants and any products that are on there. As less contaminants are picked up, you will feel it stop grabbing and the glass should feel smooth. Just remember to use plenty of lube, never clay on unlubricated areas. As it picks up contaminants tou will see the clay going dirty. Re-fold the clay to a clean part and continue - just keep doing this and if you drop the clay on the floor, throw it away.

A

Anonymous

OK, thanks.
I think i will give it a go as i feel its the water repellent that has caused my smudging.
cheers. :beer: