What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

White smoke when car warms up - blown turbo or valve seals??

cambo

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I bought a RCZ 156 a few months back as a project car. For a bit of context, car initially refused to start and on top had a few other error codes. In the end managed to locate the problem with the in tank fuel sender unit. FYI the resistance of the broken pump was ~0.4Ohms and a new unit has a resistance of ~0.7Ohms. The low resistance kept blowing the F10 (30A) fuse. The job was long and you have to be patient but luckily it doesn't require cutting off (and rewelding :eek:) the exhaust pipe to remove the tank (like the Peugeot instruction says). As someone else said in this forum, you need to "ease" the tank out and with a bit of perseverance it will come out. In any case, new fuel sender pump fitted, car refuelled and started with no problems. Happy days.

I also had to replace the thermostat (high temperature warning), rocker cover (due to rough idle) and battery.

Car now starts well but after warming up a bit (not fully) white smoke comes out. The smell changes from petrol to a oily smell. It also stays there when i press the accelerator.

Looking around forums, it seems that two possibilities are a blown turbo or the valve seals. When i switched on the car the first time and had the bonnet open, i noticed some white smoke come off the turbo although it did disappear after a while and i haven't seen it again (possibly not relevant).

I remember reading that smoke due to leaky valve seals occur mainly in idle, but not too sure really here. Car is currently SORN so i do want to fix it myself before taking it for a MOT.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Pedro

Reaction score
You can get white smoke once the engine begins to warm up its sometime attributed to condensates being burnt off but a bluish smoke when the engine is hot can mean oil is escaping from the valve seals mine is doing it at the moment more noticeable when reversing others have found issue can be the Turbo but its a process of elimination on high mileage engines it can be piston rings worn cylinder bores etc

lfe

Reaction score
If the valve seals or piston rings fail then the smoke will come out when you open throttle after a while at idle.

Typical case after having been stopped at a traffic light.

cambo

Reaction score
I really hope it isn't the piston rings as that will be one hell of a job. I would have thought that worn cylinder rings would cause the car to smoke all the time rather than once car is warm.

But certainly need to do some more troubleshooting